Ambient temperature gauge

It is called "In Air" and found on the info screen

That's not ambient temp, it's intake air temp and you'll notice it rises well above ambient once the bike is warmed up. I don't know where it is measured but my guess would be in the air filter area which will be warm once the bike is running. Mine showed 78deg when the ambient temp was bloody freezing the other morning.

That's not ambient temp, it's intake air temp and you'll notice it rises well above ambient once the bike is warmed up. I don't know where it is measured but my guess would be in the air filter area which will be warm once the bike is running. Mine showed 78deg when the ambient temp was bloody freezing the other morning.

I learn something new every day !

So has it got an ambient temp gauge

No Ambient temp how dare they, and no tyre pressure sensors either but you do get a lap timer

That's the one thing I miss on the XR I liked having the air temp on the GS

Terry

I just feel how sweaty my ging-gangs are, then I can tell if its hot or cold:D

Where's the ambient temperature gauge?

It is called "In Air" and found on the info screen

There seems to be two temperatures shown on the screen at the same time.

The first, which in iandavid's post was shown as 78 C, is the core temperature of the radiator, not the ambient temperature of the outside air. That is why it was shown as hot, when the ambient air temperature was 'bloody freezing'. You'll notice that this higher number is always displayed whether you then go on to display other data like average speed or fuel consumption or not.

The second temperature, displayed just beneath, I think is the ambient air temperature. Where it's measured is not obvious, nor is it clear what 'In air' means, it no doubt being a translation from German. Some have suggested it's the INlet temperature; it's just as likely to be the temperature of the air the bike is 'sitting IN'.

On Saturday and Sunday, my bike was displaying a radiator temperature of between 70 and 85 C, whilst the lower temperature on the same screen fluctuated between 11 in rural Warwickshire at about 10 AM and peaked at 20 by the time I was in central London at about 2 PM. There is no symbol to give a temperature value to the lower numbers but it's easy to assume they are Celcius, too.

Wait until it really is 'bloody freezing' and see what the two numbers display then.

There seems to be two temperatures shown on the screen at the same time.

The first, which in iandavid's post was shown as 78 C, is the core temperature of the radiator, not the ambient temperature of the outside air. That is why it was shown as hot, when the ambient air temperature was 'bloody freezing'. You'll notice that this higher number is always displayed whether you then go on to display other data like average speed or fuel consumption or not.

The second temperature, displayed just beneath, I think is the ambient air temperature. Where it's measured is not obvious, nor is it clear what 'In air' means, it no doubt being a translation from German. Some have suggested it's the INlet temperature; it's just as likely to be the temperature of the air the bike is 'sitting IN'.

On Saturday and Sunday, my bike was displaying a radiator temperature of between 70 and 85 C, whilst the lower temperature on the same screen fluctuated between 11 in rural Warwickshire at about 10 AM and peaked at 20 by the time I was in central London at about 2 PM. There is no symbol to give a temperature value to the lower numbers but it's easy to assume they are Celcius, too.

Wait until it really is 'bloody freezing' and see what the two numbers display then.

I thought that the IN temp would only show in lap timer mode?

I thought that the IN temp would only show in lap timer mode?

Not so, I think.

From memory: Push 'INFO' on the toggle switch. The first screen shows the radiator core temperature and beneath it the 'In temp', which I take to be the ambient air temperature. It is displayed by default the first time you toggle. Where it's measured I have no idea but the ECU will certainly need to take it into account when making its myriad of calculations.

Pushing the INFO toggle switch again will bring up such wonders as 'Av fuel' and 'Av speed' or whatever, knocking the ambient 'IN air' temperature out of the display. The radiator core temperature remains displayed, irrespective.

Not so, I think.

From memory: Push 'INFO' on the toggle switch. The first screen shows the radiator core temperature and beneath it the 'In temp', which I take to be the ambient air temperature. It is displayed by default the first time you toggle. Where it's measured I have no idea but the ECU will certainly need to take it into account when making its myriad of calculations.

Pushing the INFO toggle switch again will bring up such wonders as 'Av fuel' and 'Av speed' or whatever, knocking the ambient 'IN air' temperature out of the display. The radiator core temperature remains displayed, irrespective.

when you check info on the NAV V it does not show any figures in the ambient section, you would have thought if what we can see is in fact the ambient temp then it would also surely appear on the NAV.
I'm not that bothered about it but you would think what is available on one model would also be on the whole model range.

Terry

N
Not so, I think.

Just checked the bike and you are indeed correct. However my hands are also a good temp indicater. If they are cold then it's fecin cold !!

so whats it all about?

So, unless I`m missing something (and often do :blast) why would a readout for the temp at the intake be vaguely of interest or important?

Perhaps we need a reading `at Kneecap` or `in the empty bottle of wine in the shed I hid from my wife` (there`s a little truth there, brothers)...........

But seriously, I can`t figure out why such information would be `rider important`.................

That assumes that the 'IN' of 'INair' does indeed mean 'INlet'.

We only have iandavid's word for that. But as he was confusing it with the radiator's core temperature readout (hence why it was sitting at 78 C on a day when it was apparently 'bloody freezing') I'm not convinced he makes an entirely reliable witness.

Tell you what. Stick a thermometer on your knee, one on your boot and another... well, wherever you like.... ride about for a bit and compare their values with the bike's own twin display. It will provide wonderful data for the bods on here to mull over, maybe even replacing the chat over how many miles their bike will do when it's empty.

:beerjug:

........................... maybe even replacing the chat over how many miles their bike will do when it's empty.

What is there to chat about? If it's empty the answer is nil unless you tow it, push it or are fortunate enough to be rolling downhill when it becomes empty. I suppose a strong tail wind.......

M
That assumes that the 'IN' of 'INair' does indeed mean 'INlet'.

We only have iandavid's word for that. But as he was confusing it with the radiator's core temperature readout (hence why it was sitting at 78 C on a day when it was apparently 'bloody freezing') I'm not convinced he makes an entirely reliable witness.

Tell you what. Stick a thermometer on your knee, one on your boot and another... well, wherever you like.... ride about for a bit and compare their values with the bike's own twin display. It will provide wonderful data for the bods on here to mull over, maybe even replacing the chat over how many miles their bike will do when it's empty.

Yup, I was confusing INAir with the coolant temp. The only reliable way to check ambient temp on the XR is to see how far your bollocks have retracted. No bollocks means ef'in cold, big and dangly means hot:D

There is no ambient temp gauge

And I miss having one. Also why no adjustment for clutch lever which is used rarely but essential in heavy stop/start traffic? (And I don't want to buy (far too trick) HP levers at £300 plus fitting.) Apart from that and the hugely inadequate front mudguard and massively vulnerable rads I love the bike (fender extender and rad guards on order). After five GSs the XR it is profoundly impressive and a joy to ride but I'm keeping my oil head triple black for high mileage overseas tours and for work.

Back
Top Bottom