Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

I think I read somewhere that the Sena 20S can be configured to pass nav instructions to both rider and pillion. Might be worth a Google?

- Outsider (via Tapatalk)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Ok quick update, had a chat with a pal of mine today, manager of a decent sized bike gear shop, about the new Scala Packtalk, said it was the dogs dangly bits, then I mentioned BMW sat nav, ah he says having problems getting them to work with BMW sat nav, given four refunds because of it, ok which version sat nav "Blank look" off he goes to check with the importer faradex I think it is. Called me back this afternoon and said yes they have had several issues with the units working with BMW sat navs but not asked what bloody version!

So scala £250 a pop says waterproof, might have issues connecting to BMW sat nav but can't be sure unless you take a punt. And how do you connect a PMR Radio if you want to

Sena 20s all the same features many people have it working on BMW sat navs, can have separate module for PMR radio, costs about £165 a set + £160 for PMR but it's Water resistant?

Pro's and cons for both was leaning toward the Sena but worried about possible water damage as we do tend to tour Scotland a lot in proper weather! Scala looks good but need to understand the sat nav issue.

Time for a bit more research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadcraft-Rider View Post
    Heard good things about the F5MC, do you have that connected to a BMW Nav?

Thanks

Andy

Yes, I have my iphone paired to the Nav 5, and the Nav 5 paired to my F5MC. This allows me to get live traffic updates on the Nav 5 because I have the free app on the phone, and I can use the phone with really good call clarity. The Nav 5 interface also allows you to call out, not just receive, in a way that is safer than the equivalent in my cars.

I have loaded up an SD card with MP3 tracks and these stream to the F5MC easily. Music fades out for navigation directions and incoming calls, then fades back in once finished.

I can't comment on the other bluetooth systems, and have no reason to believe they are any worse, but the F5MC works really well for me.

Still seems like too much hassle when the Autocom still works fine?

Quote Originally Posted by dave hendy View Post
    Still seems like too much hassle when the Autocom still works fine?
    I sort of agree (which is why I've still got an Autocom) but the Nav 5 is bluetooth only, which means an adaptor to get it to talk to the Autocom - and the Autocom BT adaptor I have on my Logic system is really poor (not sure about the SPA system). I seem to get through headset leads and/or looms on a regular basis, so that I carry spares when touring and the lure of bluetooth is getting stronger as the kit gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadcraft-Rider View Post
    Or easy to link to a PMR radio via some form of gadget?
    Look at the Sena SR10 for this, it works fine with a Sena 3S BT kit I've got in one helmet.

I've had my Sena 20s for a while now. No problems with water ingress at all, and it's been through some horrendous rain in the Pico's and Pyrenees.

If they make it waterproof, then people will expect to go diving with it. Hence water resistant.

I also see that Sena now make a unit that fits into certain helmets to give a more discreet fit.'Sena 10U' (No appendage hanging off the side of your helmet).

Good luck.................... JFYI........... I like Sena intercoms. Not perfect, but still very good.

Thanks Guys great intel keep it coming

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_E View Post
    I sort of agree (which is why I've still got an Autocom) but the Nav 5 is bluetooth only, which means an adaptor to get it to talk to the Autocom - and the Autocom BT adaptor I have on my Logic system is really poor (not sure about the SPA system). I seem to get through headset leads and/or looms on a regular basis, so that I carry spares when touring and the lure of bluetooth is getting stronger as the kit gets better.
    Thats a fair point, the quality of the Autocom kit is getting worse and the cost is going up, what with a faulty ptt switch, a duff bluetooth module and a mains filter and live side lead needed, thats nearly £200 to get two bikes up and running again, so worth a look. Might decide to stick it all back in the handlebar bag and run with it but certainly worth a good look technology is moving on.

Sent using Tapatalk

Like Max W says, the Interphone F5MC gets my vote. Making it A2DP compatible now ticks all the boxes.

Sena 20s resource site - Not good in rain

I won't be risking it I don't think

http://support.sena.com/entries/4672...0s-waterproof-

Just been looking into Intaride stuff, and seem to have cracked it

Hawk radio/intercom (bike powered)
    Bluetooth adaptor thing into Hawk for satnav (bike powered)
    Wired headsets

Hopefully will fit under LC seat.
    Ian.

If you can't be good, be careful

Considering the environment that they will be used in, I'm slightly surprised that there are systems out there which aren't waterproof. The F5MC is IP67 approved (waterproof to a depth of 1m), and I've ridden through many hours of torrential rain during which it has never missed a beat.

I very nearly turned to Autocom because the F5MC didn't support the playing of music directly from the Nav 5 (until June's firmware update), but didn't make the leap because of the additional cost and the extras you have to buy to get the same functionality, not to mention what you have to do to get comms to other bikes. The only reason I might still choose Autocom over the F5MC is if I wanted much longer range for bike to bike than BT can support, i.e. with PTT radios and external antennae, but I've found that what I have now is generally good enough for 4 bikes hooning round together.

Quote Originally Posted by hatzyian View Post

Hopefully will fit under LC seat.
    If it is a new model with lean ABS and dynamic brake light forget it as nothing will fit under the seat which is Andys problem.

I ride with Andy quite a bit and my problem is that my bT02 thingy is buggered after 15 months and so is the PTT probably both due to water ingress.

So Along with Andy needing something that does not need to fit under the seat and me not happy at the cash cost of constantly repairing Auto com stuff we need something that just works
    Just a Prospect at the moment

I use scala G9 linked to BMW Nav 5 with phone also liked to NAV5.

All works ok but not tried bike to bike.

Scala G9 is bit complicated to setup but linked to PC and web interface or phone android ap makes changing settings very easy.

Easy enough to change volume on move but trying to use other buttons is not easy on the move.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    If it is a new model with lean ABS and dynamic brake light forget it as nothing will fit under the seat which is Andys problem.
    Why oh why can't there be more spare space designed into bikes which are designed as tourers more and more people want to add various gadgets on to there bikes. It's not as if we are talking about lightweight sports bikes

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast