Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

Still seems like too much hassle when the Autocom still works fine?

I sort of agree (which is why I've still got an Autocom) but the Nav 5 is bluetooth only, which means an adaptor to get it to talk to the Autocom - and the Autocom BT adaptor I have on my Logic system is really poor (not sure about the SPA system). I seem to get through headset leads and/or looms on a regular basis, so that I carry spares when touring and the lure of bluetooth is getting stronger as the kit gets better.

I've had my Sena 20s for a while now. No problems with water ingress at all, and it's been through some horrendous rain in the Pico's and Pyrenees.

If they make it waterproof, then people will expect to go diving with it. Hence water resistant.

I also see that Sena now make a unit that fits into certain helmets to give a more discreet fit.'Sena 10U' (No appendage hanging off the side of your helmet).

Good luck.................... JFYI........... I like Sena intercoms. Not perfect, but still very good.

I sort of agree (which is why I've still got an Autocom) but the Nav 5 is bluetooth only, which means an adaptor to get it to talk to the Autocom - and the Autocom BT adaptor I have on my Logic system is really poor (not sure about the SPA system). I seem to get through headset leads and/or looms on a regular basis, so that I carry spares when touring and the lure of bluetooth is getting stronger as the kit gets better.

Thats a fair point, the quality of the Autocom kit is getting worse and the cost is going up, what with a faulty ptt switch, a duff bluetooth module and a mains filter and live side lead needed, thats nearly £200 to get two bikes up and running again, so worth a look. Might decide to stick it all back in the handlebar bag and run with it but certainly worth a good look technology is moving on.

Sent using Tapatalk

Like Max W says, the Interphone F5MC gets my vote. Making it A2DP compatible now ticks all the boxes.

Just been looking into Intaride stuff, and seem to have cracked it

Hawk radio/intercom (bike powered)
Bluetooth adaptor thing into Hawk for satnav (bike powered)
Wired headsets

Hopefully will fit under LC seat.

Considering the environment that they will be used in, I'm slightly surprised that there are systems out there which aren't waterproof. The F5MC is IP67 approved (waterproof to a depth of 1m), and I've ridden through many hours of torrential rain during which it has never missed a beat.

I very nearly turned to Autocom because the F5MC didn't support the playing of music directly from the Nav 5 (until June's firmware update), but didn't make the leap because of the additional cost and the extras you have to buy to get the same functionality, not to mention what you have to do to get comms to other bikes. The only reason I might still choose Autocom over the F5MC is if I wanted much longer range for bike to bike than BT can support, i.e. with PTT radios and external antennae, but I've found that what I have now is generally good enough for 4 bikes hooning round together.

Hopefully will fit under LC seat.
If it is a new model with lean ABS and dynamic brake light forget it as nothing will fit under the seat which is Andys problem.

I ride with Andy quite a bit and my problem is that my bT02 thingy is buggered after 15 months and so is the PTT probably both due to water ingress.

So Along with Andy needing something that does not need to fit under the seat and me not happy at the cash cost of constantly repairing Auto com stuff we need something that just works

I use scala G9 linked to BMW Nav 5 with phone also liked to NAV5.

All works ok but not tried bike to bike.

Scala G9 is bit complicated to setup but linked to PC and web interface or phone android ap makes changing settings very easy.

Easy enough to change volume on move but trying to use other buttons is not easy on the move.

Ian

If it is a new model with lean ABS and dynamic brake light forget it as nothing will fit under the seat which is Andys problem.

Why oh why can't there be more spare space designed into bikes which are designed as tourers :rob more and more people want to add various gadgets on to there bikes. It's not as if we are talking about lightweight sports bikes :blast

Why oh why can't there be more spare space designed into bikes which are designed as tourers :rob more and more people want to add various gadgets on to there bikes. It's not as if we are talking about lightweight sports bikes :blast

Loads of room under the XR seat !
Autocom SPA Kenwood radio and a decent tool kit fits with ease !

The best I have seen is the Ducati 999, the tool kit was attached using Velcro to the right hand fairing - but you needed an Alan key which was in the tool kit to take the fairing off :)

Most people fitted QR fastenings - Don't you love the Italians :)

I swapped from Autocom (SuperProAVI or something ) to a sena 20S about a year ago
thoughts:
- battery life - never been a problem
- intercom to passenger - streets ahead of autocom - digital noise suppression and better VOX
- Music/sound quality - fine, but only just loud enough for spoken word with ear plugs at 80 mph (quieter than autocom)
- no wires - great
- moving between bikes - great
- convenience - bluetooth etc - great.
- cost - expensive, but no worse than autocom (although I suspect shorter life span)
I wouldn't consider reverting to autocom. If nothing else how many analogue solutions can compete with a digital one.

It appears that there are specific ways of connecting the scala to nav 5 but appears to definitely doable as they can also be connect to K1600's which are notoriously difficult to pair to.

I swapped from Autocom (SuperProAVI or something ) to a sena 20S about a year ago
thoughts:
- battery life - never been a problem
- intercom to passenger - streets ahead of autocom - digital noise suppression and better VOX
- Music/sound quality - fine, but only just loud enough for spoken word with ear plugs at 80 mph (quieter than autocom)
- no wires - great
- moving between bikes - great
- convenience - bluetooth etc - great.
- cost - expensive, but no worse than autocom (although I suspect shorter life span)
I wouldn't consider reverting to autocom. If nothing else how many analogue solutions can compete with a digital one.

Hi Jimbo

Thanks for that, what's it like bike to bike and how have you found it in wet weather?

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used the Scala Q2 after a brief flirtation with autocom but one of the Q2 units have reached the end of its natural life and I have taken delivery of the PackTalk today, this claims that you can connect any brand of bluetooth headset to it as normally scala will only connect with other scala, sena's with other sena's etc which if your riding in a group is not really that useful!!

Hi Rossman999

Have you had chance to use the PackTalk in anger yet, how have you found it?

All the best

Andy

Back
Top Bottom