Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Tiger View Post
    Why oh why can't there be more spare space designed into bikes which are designed as tourers more and more people want to add various gadgets on to there bikes. It's not as if we are talking about lightweight sports bikes
    Loads of room under the XR seat !
    Autocom SPA Kenwood radio and a decent tool kit fits with ease !
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Loads of room under the XR seat !
    Autocom SPA Kenwood radio and a decent tool kit fits with ease !
    Can't be that much room Nutty wanted to put a tin box on his

Can't be that much room Nutty wanted to put a tin box on his
    Ah yes but he likes to bolt things on and look like he is riding a Tinkers Donkey
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Why oh why can't there be more spare space designed into bikes which are designed as tourers more and more people want to add various gadgets on to there bikes. It's not as if we are talking about lightweight sports bikes
    The best I have seen is the Ducati 999, the tool kit was attached using Velcro to the right hand fairing - but you needed an Alan key which was in the tool kit to take the fairing off :-)

Most people fitted QR fastenings - Don't you love the Italians :-)

I swapped from Autocom (SuperProAVI or something ) to a sena 20S about a year ago
    thoughts:
    - battery life - never been a problem
    - intercom to passenger - streets ahead of autocom - digital noise suppression and better VOX
    - Music/sound quality - fine, but only just loud enough for spoken word with ear plugs at 80 mph (quieter than autocom)
    - no wires - great
    - moving between bikes - great
    - convenience - bluetooth etc - great.
    - cost - expensive, but no worse than autocom (although I suspect shorter life span)
    I wouldn't consider reverting to autocom. If nothing else how many analogue solutions can compete with a digital one.

It appears that there are specific ways of connecting the scala to nav 5 but appears to definitely doable as they can also be connect to K1600's which are notoriously difficult to pair to.
    2006 Yellow R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I swapped from Autocom (SuperProAVI or something ) to a sena 20S about a year ago
    thoughts:
    - battery life - never been a problem
    - intercom to passenger - streets ahead of autocom - digital noise suppression and better VOX
    - Music/sound quality - fine, but only just loud enough for spoken word with ear plugs at 80 mph (quieter than autocom)
    - no wires - great
    - moving between bikes - great
    - convenience - bluetooth etc - great.
    - cost - expensive, but no worse than autocom (although I suspect shorter life span)
    I wouldn't consider reverting to autocom. If nothing else how many analogue solutions can compete with a digital one.
    Hi Jimbo

Thanks for that, what's it like bike to bike and how have you found it in wet weather?

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rossman999 View Post
    I have used the Scala Q2 after a brief flirtation with autocom but one of the Q2 units have reached the end of its natural life and I have taken delivery of the PackTalk today, this claims that you can connect any brand of bluetooth headset to it as normally scala will only connect with other scala, sena's with other sena's etc which if your riding in a group is not really that useful!!
    Hi Rossman999

Have you had chance to use the PackTalk in anger yet, how have you found it?

All the best

Andy

Sorry yes I have, its light years ahead of the old Q2, operating it using the phone (iphone) is so easy, operating it using the buttons is a bit of a PITN but possible,

It has connected effortlessly with Sena and another Cardo G9X with the Sena using the gateway, range does not seam to be the Packtalk weak point as you find one of the others drop out first, suggesting that's its other equipment that is limiting the range. In terms of clarity its light years ahead of the factory fitted unit in my car and is perfectly audible up to illegal speeds on my own private airfield :-)
    I have not been able to try the DMC method of connection as I need to find another packtalk user :-)

PS I would struggle to justify paying full price for the unit, regardless of how nice the packaging is :-) I paid well under £150 for the unit from the evil bay.

Hope this helps :-)

Kevin

Ok Bit the Bullet

Gone with the Scala Packtalk, so far so good

Pairs easily with the nav V, found that it works best to have phone paired to Nav 5 and Packtalk paired to Nav 5, only tricky bit is using the phone app to change settings as you then have to have the phone paired to the Packtalk to use it, which disconnects it from Nav V, Still playing with it but it pairs up fine so just a case of understanding all the functions a little better first.

Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

Yes - don't...

Quote Originally Posted by richardbd View Post
    Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

Yes - don't...

Bit late to fecking party now fella,?

Oi
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadcraft-Rider View Post
    Ok Bit the Bullet

Gone with the Scala Packtalk, so far so good

Pairs easily with the nav V, found that it works best to have phone paired to Nav 5 and Packtalk paired to Nav 5, only tricky bit is using the phone app to change settings as you then have to have the phone paired to the Packtalk to use it, which disconnects it from Nav V, Still playing with it but it pairs up fine so just a case of understanding all the functions a little better first.

Nice one keep us posted how it goes. How will you connect to a PMR ? And what make will the PTT button be ?

Retired full time bike farkler Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by rossman999 View Post
    Sorry yes I have, its light years ahead of the old Q2, operating it using the phone (iphone) is so easy, operating it using the buttons is a bit of a PITN but possible,

It has connected effortlessly with Sena and another Cardo G9X with the Sena using the gateway, range does not seam to be the Packtalk weak point as you find one of the others drop out first, suggesting that's its other equipment that is limiting the range. In terms of clarity its light years ahead of the factory fitted unit in my car and is perfectly audible up to illegal speeds on my own private airfield :-)
    I have not been able to try the DMC method of connection as I need to find another packtalk user :-)

PS I would struggle to justify paying full price for the unit, regardless of how nice the packaging is :-) I paid well under £150 for the unit from the evil bay.

Hope this helps :-)

Kevin
    Sorry to hijack but do you know if it will pair with an old scala Q2

Just to resurrect this thread, I was an early adopter of a Sena 20S after years with Autocom kit. I got fed up with the faffing about with Autocom kit plus the expense and issues with alternator noise, ghost earths etc.

I had some issues initially with my 20S units, resolved by Sena with new (improved) hardware under warranty. It has since performed flawlessly in all weathers including torrential downpours. It gets used every day as I commute to work by bike. I use it with in-ear monitors rather than the in helmet speakers provided. I also have the bluetooth to PMR kit for my Kenwood radio with a PTT included. Typical battery life is 11 hours of continuous use but you can charge whilst riding if necessary.

I would never go back to using Autocom and would strongly recommend the Sena units.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

Quote Originally Posted by Pukmeister View Post
    Just to resurrect this thread, I was an early adopter of a Sena 20S after years with Autocom kit. I got fed up with the faffing about with Autocom kit plus the expense and issues with alternator noise, ghost earths etc.

I had some issues initially with my 20S units, resolved by Sena with new (improved) hardware under warranty. It has since performed flawlessly in all weathers including torrential downpours. It gets used every day as I commute to work by bike. I use it with in-ear monitors rather than the in helmet speakers provided. I also have the bluetooth to PMR kit for my Kenwood radio with a PTT included. Typical battery life is 11 hours of continuous use but you can charge whilst riding if necessary.

I would never go back to using Autocom and would strongly recommend the Sena units.
    Pukmeister

What Bluetooth adaptor do you have for your kenwood radio please.

Ta

Andy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast