Long term Autocom user considering move over to Bluetooth any advice please?

so not all there yet, but not far off, the other concern is, there seems to be a lot of people on senas forum complaining about the lack of waterproofing on the unit.

Yes, seen some comments on this but having ridden through torrential rain for several days on tour this june, as well as the normal uk weather, never had a problem.
as for how good it is, the improvements made compared with even a few years ago for me meant it was well worth changing over. Of course, they are always improving the kit, so why not defer descision for a few more years, if the autocom kit still does the job? ( If my autocom had not failed I would still be using it!)

I too have the Sena 20s. I decided to take a gamble as after trying a few different sytems, I couldn't get anything to connect with my friends BMW Bluetooth helmet.

I was also worried about rain as there are lots off reports about them packing up.

I've had mine about 12 months now and road through all sorts off weather with no problem at all. It connects to everything I have tried it with, the range is brilliant and easily re-connects if you do go out off distance.

I've never used it with my phone as I don't want to accept calls but the radio is great. Also being able to push a button when you go in a garage and then the outside noise comes through your speakers is brilliant.

Yes, seen some comments on this but having ridden through torrential rain for several days on tour this june, as well as the normal uk weather, never had a problem.
as for how good it is, the improvements made compared with even a few years ago for me meant it was well worth changing over. Of course, they are always improving the kit, so why not defer descision for a few more years, if the autocom kit still does the job? ( If my autocom had not failed I would still be using it!)

Yes this type of tech has come on a lot in the last couple of years, and as you say will only get better, i will ask a few more questions to sena and see what they have to say, thanks for all the info.

Sena 20 s getting good reviews !
working with nav5 and android samsung s5 s7 any with experience care to comment

Hi guys, just got myself a beautiful new GS exclusive with nav6. The last 5 years I was on a Multistrada but decided to return to a GS. Read through this thread with great interest because like some I have stuck with my trusty old autocom system for 10 years. It looks like my autocom will fit in the arse end ok but like you guys I am wondering if it's time to move on with a full wireless BT system. As it's been a while since anyone added to this thread I was wondering what's best now?

Hi Chris

Give you an update on what Redrick and I have had with the sena20s units. Great for two to four riders, had a couple of occasions when out in the rain we have had problems, but both times they have dried out and been fine after.

Are they perfect, no, are they as good as Autocom, good enough, do I miss the autocom and been connected to the bike not a bit. Sena's good kit but I would be happier when they start selling one that says waterproof!

Not as new as the 20s model, but my SMH10 has never shown any issues in the wet, very happy with it after years with an Autocom unit.

Thank you very much guys for your input, very much appreciated. I did look on Sam's (Chainspeed) site and could not really make my mind up. I'm going to call him for a chat to listen to what he thinks. If anyone has any other idea's or input please let me know.
Thanks again.

Thank you very much guys for your input, very much appreciated. I did look on Sam's (Chainspeed) site and could not really make my mind up. I'm going to call him for a chat to listen to what he thinks. If anyone has any other idea's or input please let me know.
Thanks again.

That is a seriously good idea. I spoke to Sam during my last bike upgrade. He could have made loads of money by selling me a couple of fancy BT headsets and I would have been happy to pay. In the end I had my old Autocom system thoroughly overhauled, but this was down to the sort of riding that I do.
I do have a bluetooth unit on my other helmet- again a brand recommended by Sam.

Hi Chris

Give you an update on what Redrick and I have had with the sena20s units. Great for two to four riders, had a couple of occasions when out in the rain we have had problems, but both times they have dried out and been fine after.

Are they perfect, no, are they as good as Autocom, good enough, do I miss the autocom and been connected to the bike not a bit. Sena's good kit but I would be happier when they start selling one that says waterproof!

Exactly the reason why I settled on the new Cardo Scala Freecom - they guarantee it as waterproof whereas Sena go for water resistant. Close run thing though, 'cos Sena do some good kit.

Still getting to grips with it as they are rather more complex than my wired Autocom, which failed to transfer to the GS on faff factor (space and power suppl). So far I've just done the basics til I can sit down and fiddle with the settings for a bit. As an intercom, BMW Navigator connection, phone link, radio, mp3 and intercom it's pretty much good to go out of the (very posh!) box, but I have yet to work out how to get the Nav instructions not to mute the passenger or be heard by her. Sound quality is pretty much as good as the Autocom - the other party in phone calls can't believe your on a bike, let alone at motorway speeds.

That's still the reason I won't change from Autocom, yes the leads are a pain but i've managed for over 15 years with it:rolleyes:

I dabbled with Bluetooth kits back in 2012... found them a PITA. I know things have moved on since then, but until my Autocom SPA packs in completely I'll stick with that :thumb2

I dabbled with Bluetooth kits back in 2012... found them a PITA. I know things have moved on since then, but until my Autocom SPA packs in completely I'll stick with that :thumb2

Being wired in to the bike must be a PITA when you change bikes so often! You must be slick at installing it all by now :D

Is there a BT unit yet that'll do everything my old Autocom SPA would? Currently I have a Sena 10U (Neotec) and whilst it's brilliant riding on my own, linking to a pillion messes up the ability to talk and receive music/nav instructions at the same time ... which my Autocom did perfectly. I like being wire free and there's less electrical "noise" than with the Autocom, but the 10U just doesn't do everything my Autocom could 5 years ago!

That's still the reason I won't change from Autocom, yes the leads are a pain but i've managed for over 15 years with it:rolleyes:

Well the answer is the Sena SM10. This streams stereo audio to two headsets. Both headsets are paired to the SM10 and this in turn is plugged into the Audio Out lead on the GPS. I have this working fine. Headsets are Sena 20s (Not pronounced Seena - watch the video if you don't believe me), GPS is Garmin 595 and my phone is an iPhone 7. I've had Autocom and Starcom for very many years. The sound quality of the Sena 20S is much better. I use in-ear speakers too.

There is no other way to get the music and the spoken instructions, from the GPS, to two headsets simultaneously.

We had very similar setups..
I've had several Autocoms (laterly the SPA)with Garmin 660/BMW Nav 4 and 5. Used as pillion intercom, make phone calls, navigate, listen to music and chat to other riders with a PTT. With the Nav 5 I added the Autocomplete BT unit.
The Autocom was excellent with clear signals, except on the iPhone 6 and I loved them as they were far superior to BT offerings years ago.

How things have changed...

I took the plunge after reading all I could and bought a pair of Sena SMH5. I haven't tried every model of every brand of BT headsets so can only talk about this unit but...

What a difference! No cables, except my in-ear ACS Pro 27 communicators [superb protection and sound], which are really easy to connect (use a 2-3 inch 3.5mm jack plug extension to make it even easier and prevent wear on the expensive bits). When I was in France (where in-ear buds are banned), I reverted to using ear plugs and the Sena speakers and they were excellent. The build quality of the units is also excellent.

My setup:
My BT connections are to my Nav 5 for music, navigation, telephone calls, safety camera alerts and directly to my mate using the Sena BT to his Sena set.

Range:
The BT range is line of sight up to about 500m. In sinuous roads in mountain passes, you have to pick your moments to chat, but that's the same with FM.

Battery life:
The units last several full days if you're only connected to the Nav 5 and all day if you're connected to another set.
Although they have a safety feature that they temporarily close down if soaked, we've been soaked and they haven't shut down. I expect an ice bucket challenge might do it (anyone doing that, tell me how you get on).

Tips:
Sometimes my "device" (the music), isn't found, so turning the Sena of and on again solves that. I think it has something to do with the order the BT units connect.
My mate and I kept dropping connections, each time a speed alert bonged,but once we turned off the speed alerts in the Navigator 4 and 5, the connections were solid.

I would have no hesitation recommending the Sena SMH5. I'm ordering and 2018 R1200GSA with the TFT screen and connectivity.I'm hoping that BMW haven't done anything 'trick" to the open source BT connection which might prevent me from using the SMH5.

Well the answer is the Sena SM10. This streams stereo audio to two headsets. Both headsets are paired to the SM10 and this in turn is plugged into the Audio Out lead on the GPS. I have this working fine. Headsets are Sena 20s (Not pronounced Seena - watch the video if you don't believe me), GPS is Garmin 595 and my phone is an iPhone 7. I've had Autocom and Starcom for very many years. The sound quality of the Sena 20S is much better. I use in-ear speakers too.

There is no other way to get the music and the spoken instructions, from the GPS, to two headsets simultaneously.

Not sure that this will work in my case as the Nav 5 doesn't have an audio out? I have to connect via a Bluetooth module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read the above. I have a Nav 5 and BT to my Sena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does this set up allow unmuted music and nav directions when talking to pillion and when pillion replies

Back
Top Bottom