Pre-service grumbles?

kyojitsu

Reaction score
Hello folks - new here. 3 weeks into ownership of my 2012 Triple Black and enjoying the bike very much. It's now done just over 22k miles and is soon due the 24k service (annual interval).

I was just wondering if any of you have noticed whether these bikes start to grumble a bit when a service is due, particularly at this mileage? The reason I ask is that I'm not managing to get more than 56mpg (according to computer) and that's not even riding particularly hard. The engine is also feeling a bit rough and seems less willing to rev. My only comparison was a 8k mile yellow 2008 bike that I test rode from a dealer - I rode that like I stole it and the economy didn't drop below 60 all day. It also seemed to rev up more freely - vibes yes bit it 'spun' better.

This could of course be all in my imagination (except the consumption bit) but I know the 24k includes a valve clearance check. Could dodgy clearances be a factor? Anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers.

I rarely better 53 mpg and considerably less when having fun so 56 sounds ok to me. (2011 GSA).

Vibes and stuff, possibly throttle balance out a bit. I rode my bike nearly 50% over a service interval (was in Canada and heading for the airport home) and can't say it felt like it needed servicing. In fact when I got home even the oils didn't seem like they really needed to be changed (clean, oily, and no bad smells). I am sure it's fine.

Jeez - how far was the airport?!

Montreal to Fairbanks Alaska where I had the bike serviced, well ok, the oils changed (6,000 miles), then Fairbanks to Montreal via the Alaska ferry, Vancouver island (rear tyre) and lots of places in Northern USA and Southern Canada was very nearly 9,000 miles. It's a big place and the bike ran fine and fault free the whole way, oh except the left hand mirror perch bolts needed nipping up in the Yukon somewhere.

Honestly, less than 60miles to the gal sounds a bit dodgy to me. But perhaps you like like it rough!

My average is about 60 too, but I have noticed riding with the vario panniers makes a noticeable difference to mpg.

No way someone is getting 60 (real miles) to the gallon during normal riding - but entirely possible if you believe the fuel computer.

Even going off your odometer is a bit dodgy due to it being 5-10% over-reading.

Hang on - what size gallons were you using in Fairbanks? Was it those wimpy-American gallons? (gallons-lite)

Al

Are some getting confused this is the 800 twin forum and some posters are referring to 2011 gsa bikes and triple black models

ca7e79b8e0ccc7844cc5c779aa9fbc90.jpg

Proof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done 70k and the clearance has always been in tolerance when checked. I have to try very hard to get below 60mpg and I've been tracking it on Fuelly for about 50k.

How's the chain and sprockets? Or air filter?

They seem OK. - gear changes feel slick. Usual 1st gear clonk. Unless air/fuel mix is wrong. Perhaps running a bit lean? Lambda sensor??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea. That's exhausted my mechanical knowledge as I take it to my LBS :comfort

My experience of shitty running/poor mpg has been fixed with either new chain or air filter. At 22k I'd have thought a chain was due if it's not been done already.

I suppose I'll have to let the folk at Wollaston BMW take a look when it's in for service...perhaps new plugs, filters, oil and a diagnostic will sort it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it definitely needs a service; just from the mpg alone, never mind the vibes. I was getting 60mpg from my 2008 Bumblebee commuting into central London - so 53 is not right.
If it needs a chain ask the service guys what they would put on it, and then specify a DID. The standard BM chains are rubbish.
But once it is sorted you will have a smooth, fast, and frugal bike to have a total laugh on.
Enjoy the ride.
SuperTed

Remember: its not the destination but the journey that's important.

Back
Top Bottom