Thread: CCM 404E

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

CCM 404E

Always wanted one of these since they first came out , visited the factory with a mate who was contemplating taking on a dealership but I was always put off by the £5500 price tag.

Anyway this one came up on E Bay a couple of weeks ago , two owners from new , recent camchain a shed load of spares including three sets of plastics , swinging arm ,brakes, wheels , shock, forks, loads of engine bits, tank .

Anyway took the plunge and bought it last weekend with a few changes in mind, took it out a couple of times but to be honest the low off road gearing and Michelin Enduro tyres made it a pain in the proverbial.

Anyway this week I've been busy....reinstated the indicators and sorted out some bodged wiring , replaced the indicator switch , as the rear silver coloured wheel was more octagonal than round it was replaced with the spare black one with a new Michelin T63 tyre and a new 44 tooth sprocket replacing the 49 tooth item fitted , also changed the front and rear wheel bearings and at the same time put on the front black wheel with a matching T63 front tyre .

Typically the tiny 6mm front and rear disc screws were all seized with stripped out hex heads and need be drilled out to change the discs .

Once done I also swapped the swinging arm on which the bearings were hard up for the other replacement which was in good condition.

Bike had been fitted with a cut down empty titanium silencer which was replaced with a repacked shorty Remus pipe with a home made db killer

Finally the badly cracked rear plate was replaced with an off road only flexible plate bought off E Bay , so now finally I have my new winter toy to have a play on off road
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very nice and not too expensive I'd wager?
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

Cost a bit more than the equivalent DRZ400E but less than a KTM or Husky (and hopefully less maintenance intensive than the latter) and considering the spares with it and its history I am happy enough.

Cosmetically I didn't want anything too good as I then wouldn't want to take it off road .

Tempted to fit the set of BAJA headlights I have in the garage loft

The best bit about my old DRZ400E was the motor. Everything else lacked quality and had weight

The CCM is a decent choice for a trail bike
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

Well sorted out a fully legal Simmi stainless oval can for the bike, will pick it up on Monday and I've been given a Boyesen Quickshot 2 to fit the Keihin FCR carb plus an extended fuel screw (both from a mate who used to have it fitted on an RMZ450 and they apparently make a difference to throttle pickup and they're free)

Hey Neil,you should sign up to ccmmad if you are not already on it.There is also a ccm facebook page which is good too! congrats on the purchase from a fellow ccm owner!

Looks well that does....have fun
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    It's the bike the DRZ should have been - nice one Neil, easily the best bike CCM have built in recent times and a perfect green lane bike

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

Got the proper silencer today courtesy of Simmi performance, bike goes well with it fitted plus it is reasonably quiet, stainless steel and has a bs standard for £100.

Done a few hundred miles since I got the bike and it is a hoot if a bit thirsty, only thing I do not like is the amount of chain slap (due to no cush drive and the large suspension travel needed at the rear) so I started doing a bit of lateral thinking, the rear wheel and cush drive off my XLR250 fits so after a bit of digging I realised that the Suzuki DR350 has a similar sized wheel, a 220mm disc and according to Jt sprockets catalogue used the fitment sprocket as the CCM.

Picked up a used wheel and cush drive and mocked it up with the spare swinging arm , a few mill taken off the cush drive to move the wheel to the left and the chain lines up and the Suzuki disc will be fine with the Brembo caliper and caliper carrier on the ccm.

Hopefully a fully functional cush drive isn't very far away

Did a 150 miles the other day of which 125 was on the roads and the rest off road , the fitting of the DR350 rear wheel and cush drive has made a huge difference to the ride with transmission and chain backlash almost cut down to nothing.

Suzuki really should have fitted a 6 speed box to the DRZ though.

I was out with a mate who was on his recently rebuilt CRM250 a bike which in the past used to run rings around my XR250 both off and on road , the CCM absolutely stuffs it both on the road and puts it to shame on the rougher stuff .

All in all I am well chuffed with the way it is going , I had the forks rebuilt over the winter with new bushes and using SKF green seals and the same lad is going to do the spare WP rear shock