Keyless Ignition or not? Comment please

Yup, I wired the Givi up to the central locking - Great!

Can you leave the plastic key hidden on the bike without it activating the umm.. ignition/start button?

Yup, I wired the Givi up to the central locking - Great!

Can you leave the plastic key hidden on the bike without it activating the umm.. ignition/start button?

Should be possible, you have to insert the plastic key in the instrument cluster somewhere to get it to work, don't have the manual to hand, so hiding it away from that area should be ok. Not something I will do though, hiding spaces are limited so someone will know them all and I guess is if they find your key and use it to steal the bike you are uninsured?

I might be getting a new bike with keyless but I'm not convinced

Advantages
Doesn't scratch the top yoke.
You can't walk away from the bike leaving the key in the ignition (overnight...:drool.)

Disadvantages
You can't leave a spare key secreted on the bike for the time you lose your keys away from home.
If you drive away from home leaving the key behind, you're screwed if you stop.
More things to go wrong.

Any others please?

Thanks, Dave

After nine years and 3 GSs I've just ordered a new R1200RT so this question was one I had to address.

Whilst I was discussing specifications with my my pet salesman, Steve a "mature" lady came in to the dealers show room (Wollaston's actually) asking after her son and husband.

Yes they had been at the store but they had left a while ago. Why?

Well, having dropped her off at the nearby hospital for an appointment they had driven off with the car - she had the keyless key in her bag - she doesn't know where they have parked and her mobile phone is flat, after trying to make contact with them. And no she doesn't know their mobile number so she can't avail herself of Wollaston's kind offer of a telephone to call them either!

And I want keyless ignition why? Have you seen the crap I can cause myself WITH a key? With keyless I suspect I could easily surpass the lady above without any effort at all!

Whilst I was discussing specifications with my my pet salesman, Steve a "mature" lady came in to the dealers show room (Wollaston's actually) asking after her son and husband.

Steve's a bloody weird name for a lady, never mind - a mature one.................. :duno

Al ;)

I had a new keyless GS for 2 weeks in Europe.

Just don't lose the key...

You still have to press the button to make it go.

Prefer a normal key, frankly.

I had a new keyless GS for 2 weeks in Europe.

Just don't lose the key...

You still have to press the button to make it go.

Prefer a normal key, frankly.

This place is full of old farts, so losing keys is probably a regular occurrence for some. Keyless or keyed, it'll not make too much difference.

Can you get spare keys cut without the chip and all the fancy stuff? That way you could use that for the seat etc and leave your main key in your bike jacket so it is always with the bike when you are.

Can you get spare keys cut without the chip and all the fancy stuff? That way you could use that for the seat etc and leave your main key in your bike jacket so it is always with the bike when you are.

That's exactly what I did. Used keys in the post who made a copy, without transponder, from a photo of the key. I use it for the panniers, seat and GPS.

Have a keyless car and bike and wouldn't go back to traditional key if I'm honest. So convenient leaving the keys in my pocket, fueling is nice and easy too. Certainly means you can't do what my wife did and snap the key off in the fuel cap an hour before taking her test! No scratches around the ignition or fuel cap either.

Both my car and the GS warn you if the key is out of range (about a metre or so), so anyone who gets too far without the key only has themselves to blame.

Traditional keys work and I never saw the point of keyless until I had a vehicle with it. There will always be people who like it, people who don't and people who'll refuse to try it as they don't like change. Each to their own.

Both my car and the GS warn you if the key is out of range (about a metre or so), so anyone who gets too far without the key only has themselves to blame.

Exactly.:thumb

That's exactly what I did. Used keys in the post who made a copy, without transponder, from a photo of the key. I use it for the panniers, seat and GPS.

Have a keyless car and bike and wouldn't go back to traditional key if I'm honest. So convenient leaving the keys in my pocket, fueling is nice and easy too. Certainly means you can't do what my wife did and snap the key off in the fuel cap an hour before taking her test! No scratches around the ignition or fuel cap either.

Traditional keys work and I never saw the point of keyless until I had a vehicle with it. There will always be people who like it, people who don't and people who'll refuse to try it as they don't like change. Each to their own.

Thanks for that, just ordered one off them

Don't get me wrong, I like all the bells and whistles as much as the next man, but can someone please tell me why they developed something like keyless ignition but didn't even give a thought to some form of locking mechanism for the Sat Nav?
I understand that this was addressed on the GS but not on the RT - you just need one little scrote to push the button on your alarmed bike and they're off with £400's worth of Nav V!

Don't get me wrong, I like all the bells and whistles as much as the next man, but can someone please tell me why they developed something like keyless ignition but didn't even give a thought to some form of locking mechanism for the Sat Nav?
I understand that this was addressed on the GS but not on the RT - you just need one little scrote to push the button on your alarmed bike and they're off with £400's worth of Nav V!

Could it be the same reason why Dulux white gloss goes yellow after 3 years - no surely not.

Key arrived today, perfect, thanks for the heads up :beerjug:

Disadvantages
You can't leave a spare key secreted on the bike for the time you lose your keys away from home.
If you drive away from home leaving the key behind, you're screwed if you stop.

Yes you can. Wrap it in tin foil.

The emergency key has to be held against a specific part of the bike to work (under rear mudguard I think) so just secret it elsewhere.

Am I correct in assuming keyless on the GSA would operate the ignition and fuel cap only ?

Back
Top Bottom