Car dash cam

Glyno

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a dash cam, not wanting to pay too much so what do you have fitted. :thumb2

Try Techmoan on youtube - he does loads of reviews on dashcams so should give you a good idea of what's about to suit your budget

I have a Drivepro 220, superb piece of kit, speed, gps, wifi, iPhone/iPad app, very clear.

If you ever need one for evidence, it will need gps otherwise can't be used.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

....My need for guidance is minimal, even less when I'm on the bike, therefore I cannot see the attraction of a dash cam

Need proof of this statement please.

Can't remember where I found this out, but seem to recall that unless the video evidence is tracked and timed, it would have to be really obvious (such as crashing into Big Ben's clock face) otherwise it could be disputed in court. Obviously would be OK if the police attended the scene that you had just filmed but could be difficult to prove months later.

Good footage is bloody good footage date or no date shown. The file recording will show the recording date on computer

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

....My need for guidance is minimal, even less when I'm on the bike, therefore I cannot see the attraction of a dash cam

As usual though, it's 'the other guy' rather than you.

Some knobber pulls out on you on a junction, takes you out and ruins your life and cam footage could be critical in sorting yourself out for the future.

I started using an SJ4000 on the bike......wired it to ignition live, set it up in position after a test run and let it write over itself on a 32gb card......plus I can whip it off and strap it onto whatever else I want to strap a camera to or bung it in the car.....for under 40 quid it was a no brainer and the quality is good day or night.....you can certainly make out number plates from the distance you'd have to do it with your mark 1 eyes for a test :)

Some knobber pulls out on you on a junction, takes you out and ruins your life and cam footage could be critical in sorting yourself out for the future.

....and what would normally be a B&W case is suddenly thrown into confusion as the camera revels that during the period before the accident it recorded you riding to your rules.

Out of interest - how long would a 32gb card record for?

Around 3 hours of continuous 1080p recording, which is better than standard TV picture quality...it's High Definition.

At 720p (which is still almost twice the resolution of DVD) you will usually get over ten hours.

I have used an iPhone app called - "Carcam" or "witness" cost - £1.49. It holds 1hr of video footage stored in 10minute slots, when the 60 mins of storage has been reached it overwrites the oldest videos. If you have an incident then you can save the required segment. It uses the iPhone camera so video quality is good. Ram mounts UK have all the required mounts for car or bike.

I am thinking of installing such a dash cam on a car that I am planning to buy. Local car dealer thought that they were uncommon in Germany. One of my neighbours has one fitted to his company car. I think it only records the last 30 seconds and is activated by a G Shock sensor.

I think I will ask the insurance company if their are any special requirements, which they would require, in able to use as evidence in the event of an accident. Wanted to see if I could get the car dealer to install the wiring before I take the car.

Grey Beard

Another vote for Nextbase 402G GPS - use one forward facing in my taxi - records onto a microSD card on a 4 hour loop. The footage is eyepoppingly good HD even at night. A Which? magazine Best Buy. I paid £150 from Maplin but shop around.

Back
Top Bottom