Welcome to Balkans and Serbia!

MarkonePEGAZ

Reaction score
If anyone needs any info on Balkans and Serbia, please do not hesitate to ask.

Lots of places to visit, tons of roads to ride on.

Welcome! :thumb2

IMG_3639moto-e1442056914533.jpg

Hi there
I am in the process of planning a summer trip for myself and 2 friends. We are all fairly experienced motorcyclists and do at least one big tour each year, them on GS'S and myself on an RT. For next July's trip (9th-23rd ) we have 14 days and would like to get down to Dubrovnik. So far I have firmed up:
Day 1 - Tunnel and war graves at Ypres.
Day 2 - Motorway to Baden Baden.
Day 3 - Black Forest and finish at Lake Constance.
Day 4 - High Dolomite road to Bolzano.
Day 6 - Eastern Dolomite's and through to lake Bled.

I would like to plan in traveling as far as Sarajevo and down to Mostar and Dubrovnik .
Rest day at the coast and then travel up the coast northwards.

So i suppose i am asking for a route between Bled and Sarajevo - 2 days? and another interesting route via Mostar to Dubrovnik.

Finally which are the best bits to do traveling north on the coastal road . Are there any islands easy to reach on 3 big bikes
Thanks in advance
Byron

ps we are staying in hotels

Hi there
I am in the process of planning a summer trip for myself and 2 friends. We are all fairly experienced motorcyclists and do at least one big tour each year, them on GS'S and myself on an RT. For next July's trip (9th-23rd ) we have 14 days and would like to get down to Dubrovnik. So far I have firmed up:
Day 1 - Tunnel and war graves at Ypres.
Day 2 - Motorway to Baden Baden.
Day 3 - Black Forest and finish at Lake Constance.
Day 4 - High Dolomite road to Bolzano.
Day 6 - Eastern Dolomite's and through to lake Bled.

I would like to plan in traveling as far as Sarajevo and down to Mostar and Dubrovnik .
Rest day at the coast and then travel up the coast northwards.

So i suppose i am asking for a route between Bled and Sarajevo - 2 days? and another interesting route via Mostar to Dubrovnik.

Finally which are the best bits to do traveling north on the coastal road . Are there any islands easy to reach on 3 big bikes
Thanks in advance
Byron

ps we are staying in hotels

Hi byron!

Thank you for your post.

From Bled, you should go to Plitvice lakes in Croatia. I suggest that you spend a whole day there if you have time. From there you can go to Sarajevo (Plitvice lakes, Bihać, Drvar, Livno, Konjic, Sarajevo).
From Sarajevo to Dubrovnik you could take this route: Sarajevo, Konjic, Mostar, Nevesinje, Bileća, Trebinje, Dubrovnik.

From Dubrovnik to the north i suggest that you visit Hvar island (ferry). For the coastal roads... Well... which ever you choose you will not regret, or you will regret that you do not have more time to ride them all. :)

Plenty of hotels on the route. On the coast in that period can be tricky to find a room so I would advice to book before you start.

It is a shame that you do not have time for my Serbia, but maybe next time. ;)

Hi MarkonePEGAZ,

Thank you for your offer to help people visiting Balknas / Serbia etc.

I guess it's an area which (sadly) has been off a lot of people's radars, whilst other parts of your neighbours gets lots of attention. For instance, there a miles of routes already available for Croatia and Montenegro, not so many for Bosnia & Herzegovina and very very few for Serbia.

If you are willing to do so, maybe you could email me some suggestions for routes for people to take, married to things to see. I could then try to cut them into some Garmin files or into Google maps, maybe linking them to some websites for information. Who knows it might work?

Richard

PS There is an excellent thriller on British TV at the moment called 'The Last Panthers'. I am not sure that it shows the Balkans (or France) in the best light but it's only TV and it's quite exciting.

Hi MarkonePEGAZ,

Thank you for your offer to help people visiting Balknas / Serbia etc.

I guess it's an area which (sadly) has been off a lot of people's radars, whilst other parts of your neighbours gets lots of attention. For instance, there a miles of routes already available for Croatia and Montenegro, not so many for Bosnia & Herzegovina and very very few for Serbia.

If you are willing to do so, maybe you could email me some suggestions for routes for people to take, married to things to see. I could then try to cut them into some Garmin files or into Google maps, maybe linking them to some websites for information. Who knows it might work?

Richard

PS There is an excellent thriller on British TV at the moment called 'The Last Panthers'. I am not sure that it shows the Balkans (or France) in the best light but it's only TV and it's quite exciting.

Hi Wapping,

Thank you for your suggestions. My company in Novi Sad, Serbia is a Garmin dealer so... ;) Also, I work as a motorcycle tour guide for a travel agency specialized for motorcycle tours, 4x4 adventures, bicycle and hiking adventures etc. I am not sure if I may advertise the name and the web link of the agency here.

All that you are willing to do, I already have and who ever needs any info I am here to answer all your questions. But thank you a lot for your good will. :beerjug: :thumb2

map.jpg
This is Serbia an it is just a part of what I have. :)

Hi byron!

Thank you for your post.

From Bled, you should go to Plitvice lakes in Croatia. I suggest that you spend a whole day there if you have time. From there you can go to Sarajevo (Plitvice lakes, Bihać, Drvar, Livno, Konjic, Sarajevo).
From Sarajevo to Dubrovnik you could take this route: Sarajevo, Konjic, Mostar, Nevesinje, Bileća, Trebinje, Dubrovnik.

From Dubrovnik to the north i suggest that you visit Hvar island (ferry). For the coastal roads... Well... which ever you choose you will not regret, or you will regret that you do not have more time to ride them all. :)

Plenty of hotels on the route. On the coast in that period can be tricky to find a room so I would advice to book before you start.

It is a shame that you do not have time for my Serbia, but maybe next time. ;)

Thanks for the help I will put some details on the Garmin and contact my friends over the next few days.

Kind regards
Byron
:beerjug:

The lakes at Plitvice are amazing...but either go early or go when not so touristy..the queues are huge!!!

The lakes at Plitvice are amazing...but either go early or go when not so touristy..the queues are huge!!!

Yes, I forgot that important detail. The best is to find accommodation in the area and to enter Plitvice lakes park of nature early in the morning!

Thank you daviedevs! :thumb2

Plitvice lakes:

1936766_1112927501375_2366305_n.jpg

1936766_1112927581377_2758765_n.jpg

1936766_1112927781382_7228315_n.jpg

1936766_1112927981387_612383_n.jpg

1936766_1112928101390_7775560_n.jpg

1936766_1112946821858_5463624_n.jpg

Hi, I'm looking at touring the former Yugoslavik countries this June. Would 10 days be enough time to ride around this area andvisit the major cities, etc?

Hi, I'm looking at touring the former Yugoslavik countries this June. Would 10 days be enough time to ride around this area andvisit the major cities, etc?

It depends on how fast / slowly you ride and / or how long you stand still at each stop, I guess?

This guided tour takes 21 days in total, representing 19 riding days:

http://www.clutchmototours.com/en/Tours/GUIDED+TOURS/The+7+Countries+of+Yugoslavia+Tour

By going to their day-by-day section, you could probably work out what they are doing and where the time goes.

This one as an alternative takes 14 days, with two rest days, starting and ending in Zagreb.

http://www.rideadv.com/tours-by-typ...ycle-tours/ride-the-balkans-of-eastern-europe

They have also included a basic map of the route, which is helpful if you want to cheat.

These fellows do it in 14 days, including the stretch from Calais and back again...

http://www.globalmotorcycletours.co.uk/croatia_bosnia_slovenia.html

From any of the above, it's easy to guess that a bod on his own or in a small (well organised) group can do it in 10 days.... or less if you cut out or cut short some flower pressing.

Maybe it is better for me to write that you can expect average speeds of 50km/h. And I can not recomend more then 400km per day (average 250-300km per day). 5-6 hour of riding per day. Not becouse of the roads, its becouse of the nature and pausing often to look and feel. Of course that you can do it in 10 days. But yet... its not enough time to visit all the major sites. You can leave some for the next time dont you? ;)

If you need more info please ask! :thumby:

Mark,
I hope to travel into the north of Serbia in May and exit into Bulgeria on my way to Turkey. Can you recommend a route? I like history / old towns and cities and would like to use surfaced twisty roads with a lack of traffic.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at Serbia now. Any updates from this who travelled there?

What do you want to know? I received no reply to the request above, so in May bumbled my way from north to south, entered from Bosnia and left into Bulgeria.

Well I'm tempted by the fact that it's not exactly the 'tourist' thing yet and it's fairly undiscovered. What were your experiences there with the people etc...? Oh yeah, what are the roads like?

Hi

Two of us rode down to Albania and round th Balkans pre Garmisch.

People were friendly, and to show how civilised, they all spoke English.

How many days were you there for and which cities or towns did you stay in?

Serbia

Serbia, the people were fine and the roads I rode were generally good. Bulgaria the roads were either good or shocking, the people again were fine, in fact throughout the Balkans I had no problems with the people at all. Albania, much like Bulgaria, the roads can be very good or terrible, although the standard of driving in Albania is bad and care needs to be taken. Bosnia, the roads are mixed, some almost new, some have no surface! Bosnia and Albania are the most scenic and the most mountainous, (or at least the routes I took were). Such a variety of cultures in such a small area makes for interesting travel and as you say, not too many tourists.

How many days were you there for and which cities or towns did you stay in?

Venice (Italy)
Bled (slovenia)
Starigrad Paklenica (Croatia)
Dubrovnik (Croatia)
Shkoder (Albania)
Sarejevo (Bosnia)
Belgrade (Serbia)
Budapest (Hungary)
Vienna (Austria) Via Bratislava (Slovakia)
Salzburg (Austria)

Garmisch (Germany)
Garmisch
Strasbourg (France)
Arras (France)
Calais

If you want the route I’ll dig it out and post. We had the bikes shipped to Venice as a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom