Map update

Neil W have had this in past. Make sure garmin express is up to date. Mine is set on auto update and doesn't :nenau
Press cog shape top right go to bottom of list about and update there. Hope that helps:thumby:

Tried that but the it fails to update the Garmin Express as well ............6 attempts so far

Neil W have had this in past. Make sure garmin express is up to date. Mine is set on auto update and doesn't :nenau
Press cog shape top right go to bottom of list about and update there. Hope that helps:thumby:

Given that many have sucessfuly installed Garmin Express and updated their maps on a regular basis, using both PC's and Mac's, your ongoing difficulties (regrettable as they are) might well point to problems elsewhere.

Well removed and reinstalled Garmin Express and tried again , initially the download speed was over 8 mb/s and it reckoned a download time of just over 1 hour, got to 10% of total download in 10 minutes then started to get slower and slower until donload speed was down to a steady 278 kb/s and now 3 hours later it has managed to download 14% of the total and it reckons it will take a further 4 hours .

Contacted garmin technical support and apparently this is normal !

Think I've sussed this garmin lifetime maps thing , you pay money then after getting so pissed off interminable update times you just forget about it

I've just got a replacement Garmin 590 for my faulty one.

Plugged it in, Garmin express opened, then updated to the newer Express, then proceeded to update the latest firmware to the new 590, then uploaded a whole set of new maps.

All in under 30mins, including maps to the laptop too.................. Don't see the problem ?

(This may not help)

Got to 20.1% and then stopped again POS

Loaded newest version of Garmin Express onto lap top and tried again FFS even slower , after over 20 minutes it had loaded less than 0.3 % of the update

Another problem is that if an update fails it then continues to show an error message until you uninstall GE and then reinstall

Desktop or laptop? If desktop use rear USB socket. No hubs or other devices connected. Use Garmin supplied lead.

I am using the Garmin supplied lead and the rear USB socket on the PC, similarly the attempt on the laptop was using its only USB port

I had a similar problem when I recently bought my second hand 660 off here.

In the end I put a new memory card (32gb) in and all (touch wood) has been good ever since. Maybe worth a try?

Andres

Given up for the minute away to Germay next week and can't be fugged with it , the last update still works so it can stay and wait until after my 2 tours this year .

After then I will recontact Garmin and try again and if all else fails I will video the experience of hitting the bastard thing with a very large axe.

What also pisses me off is that my mate last year bought an unbranded motorbike sat nav from German Amazon which included leads and brackets and consistantly performed better in every respect through a two week European tour and his use of it through the full winter

Well garmin were extremely helpful, gist of the reply is that if updates do not download uninstall Garmin Express reinstall it again and try again ,if this does not work keep on repeating this process until it may possible work

Horrible wet day so I thought I would see if I could update my maps , bearing in mind the problems I've had in the past I didn't hold much hope, typical it all went through first time in just over an hour !!!!!!!!

Anyhow it then gave the option to update the maps to the PC as well so I thought what the hell, after 6 attempts it just continued to freeze up after less than 30 seconds so I gave up on it

As this thread has an appropriate title, I'll try here.

My Zumo 660 is loaded with map CN Europe NT 2017.20 3D on the main device plus City Navigator Europe NT 2017.2 on the 8GB SD card.

(I think it demanded more memory the last time I updated it)

Garmin Express tells me that the 660 has the latest maps and will not offer an update even though my PC and other devices carry + use City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1.

Any suggestions as to why a Zumo 660 is being "left behind" in the version race?

NT and NTU update at different rates. One four times a year, the other twice. Or summat like that.

Also, see post three... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...s-available-NTU-2017-10-Europe-map-April-2016

Thanks for that.

I'm enjoying playing in Basecamp to build pink lines and dots for a wee run to Germany in September and I will be triple checking that the 660 is reading the maps and routes OK before leaving home. I'll sit tight and wait for Garmin to update at their leisure (sometime after my next trip).

My Zumo 660 is loaded with map CN Europe NT 2017.20 3D on the main device plus City Navigator Europe NT 2017.2 on the 8GB SD card.

Garmin Express tells me that the 660 has the latest maps and will not offer an update even though my PC and other devices carry + use City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1.

Any suggestions as to why a Zumo 660 is being "left behind" in the version race?

Yes - here's the reason why:

The 'NT' and 'NTU' cartographic updates are two different products, and they have their own update cycles.

NTU (the 'U' stands for 'unicode', which supports character sets other than the Roman alphabet, such as Russian, Greek, etc.) is updated 4 times a year, and NT (which only supports the Roman character set used in English, French, Spanish, etc.) is updated twice a year. The NT updates are identical in their content - roads, points of interest, speed limits, stuff like that - to the NTU updates that are released at approximately the same time.

The 660 cannot use the NTU updates, because the 660 doesn't support the use of unicode characters. Hence the 660 only gets two updates per year, those being the NT updates.

If you have CN EU NTU cartography on your computer, it's because you also have a newer Garmin device that uses the NTU maps. You get 4 updates a year on that device. You'll only get 2 updates a year for your 660, because it can only use NT, which is only released twice a year.

Hope this explains it well enough.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom