Map update

LPB

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am trying to update my 660 with the new maps.
In the past I have never managed to get Garmin Express or map uploader to see the SD card.
I originally had a 32GB card which was never seen but then changed to for a 16GB card but have the same problem.
I can load music onto the card and it works fine in the 660 - I have re-formatted it but no luck.
Has anyone else had this problem - I am beginning to think the unit is faulty.
Thanks,
Lloyd

Personally I would delete your unit from 'express' & re-attach it. Also there have been a number of recent updates for express, are you running the latest version?

I would also check the maximum size card that you can run on the 660 & that it is formatted correctly - FAT 32 I believe.

Express can be a bit of a black art, but now I seem to have cracked it, I always download the map to my PC only & inturn load the map to the unit using map updater.

Hope this helps

SJC

Thanks,
I have downloaded the maps to the PC and then used map updater to load some of them onto the 660 as suggested above.
Still cant see the SD card though!

How many map files should I have on the unit as I now have gmapsupp.img, gmaptz.img & gmapbmap.img

Before I had these plus 2 more - gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img

Thanks,
Lloyd.

If your PC can see the. SD card, start by getting your device back to factory settings by removing the battery for a few hours & doing a hard reset after saving your routes & favourites in BaseCamp or MapSource. Then try a full map reinstall with SD card installed using Garmin Express.

just a thought, try removing and inserting the sd card a few times it may be a bad connection to the card.

Garmins are notoriously sensitive to the USB connection. The 660 will not be recognised by Express unless it is connected to a central USB port on the back (or front) of your computer. Plugging into an aftermarket peripheral hub is useless. Found out the hard way and then got tipped the wink by a member of this site.
Cheers, Derek

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Garmins are notoriously sensitive to the USB connection. The 660 will not be recognised by Express unless it is connected to a central USB port on the back (or front) of your computer. Plugging into an aftermarket peripheral hub is useless. Found out the hard way and then got tipped the wink by a member of this site.
Cheers, Derek

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Best to use the USB sockets on the rear of a desktop as the front ones are deemed to be a hub. It's also advisable to use the Garmin supplied lead.

Bought lifetime updates , using Garmin lead, it recognises the sd card , using the rear usb post and the b*stard thing is on its fourth attempt to attempt to do updates on the maps .

Garmins are sh*t !

Dropped out of 5th attempt then the sixth both after 30 minutes or so (same as all the other attempts) , on the seventh it got to 87 % complete and eventually after the eigth attempt it downloaded the new maps .

All in all it took nearly 8 hours

Broadband is fine as is the computer no problems at the minute with the signal or line

Bloody lifetime maps show an available update , go through the procedure and it prepares to download the map update , gets 1.6% downloaded and then does f**k all for well over an hour then stops, tried again and it now keeps on giving a red fail to update message , waste of money POS

Back
Top Bottom