Toshiba external hard drives.

davegs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well just got a Tosshiba Canvio basics 1 tb drive which works from a usb socket. The user manual
instructions are loaded on the device and should download, but all I get is ad's for hard drives any help appriciated just to down load the instructions so help!!!. :blast:blast

I don't profess to be an expert but it should work in exactly the same way as any other drives you have on your device. If you connect it to your computer via USB it should just appear as an available drive (you may get a pop up message asking you to accept it). It will probably be called "Toshiba" or "Canvio". If you are using Windows just go to "My computer" and you should see it listed along with your in situ drive(s).

To use it simply drag and drop into this drive or save as and then choose this drive as the file location.

If I'm missing something the apologies, but I use external drives regularly and this is how they have always worked for me.

Just go to the Toshiba website and look for the hard drive there. If there is a User Manual it should be under Support or similar, but as Stolzy says, why would you need a manual for a USB HDD?

Grey Beard

Many thanks for all the advice all now going well (fingers crossed!), it may have seemed a stupid question to some but I am NOT a computer nerd only use the things for e mails apart from which I've no interest in the things at all and certainly not games!!. Have been having probs with the computer and need to back up everything now thanks to a bit assistance and reading a book all, is now well. This is an HP Pavilion running Windows 8.1, only about 18 months old so
not impressed, my old desktop brought from, Staples many moons ago running XP has had a hard time but still goes well not a hint of agro.
Many thanks anyway.

Hi davegs,

I too bought a Toshiba external hard drive (there are different models, don't know which one mine is.) It was very well priced against the other hd on sale. When I first used it I was surprised how many hoop's you had to jump through to get it to do the simple task of backing up your data.

I nearly locked my self out of it with the encrypted password system. A quick search on the net proved that numerous buyers have had issues with this model Toshiba hd.

I threw it in the bin out of frustration. Days later I retrieved it, after visiting the Toshiba site and doing a down load to it works. This was over a year ago and I think the site required the serial number on the unit to provide the correct software download. I use it to back up a pc running windows 7.

Incidentally I have a dell tablet (bought off this site ) that runs windows 8.1 the os whilst not the greatest is usable and I personally have had no issues with it.

My chosen hd is Seagate I have 3 of these to back up my dell and two MacBook's that I have. Never had any issue with these hd units.

Would I buy another Toshiba hd, no.

Hope this helps you, and yes in my opinion the Toshiba is not the easiest hd for a novice to use.

Thanks for that glad I'm not the only one!! good for you not giving up!.

Thanks for that glad I'm not the only one!! good for you not giving up!.

Now working well, amount of space on this thing is amazing thank for all replys can recommend these for Windows 8 anyway. (this the model that plugs in a usb plug only), from Tescos £45.00.

Back
Top Bottom