Scottish recommendations!

R800

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello to all my Scottish friends from Ireland!

Looking for recommendations on a little trip around your beautiful country... Haven't really been up in over 15 years when I was based with relatives near Galashiels outside of a few drinking sessions.

Now my two mates lives in Edinburgh (where Iv been drinking on a few occasions) and Aberdeen (where Iv been drinking once).

Now my dribking days are done I want to see a bit more and I'd like to stay in Aberdeen and pop into my friend in Edinburgh on the way back.

I live in Cork so I'd drive 4 hours to get the ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan where I think I'd arrive at around 1.30pm. That would be on a Thursday, and I'd probably head home on the following Monday on the ferry from Cairnryan at 11.30 am again.

Now, what should I do in the intervening time, or what is possible. I'd like to stay in Aberdeen on the fri and sat night and Edinburgh Sunday. But flexible to whatever you would recommend.

No problem with long days on the bike so whatever you think, and are the highlands possible in this time scale.

Thanks in advance,

Rory

I've an Edinburgh based pal who does the loop around the top in a day in high summer. So you can cover a lot of ground in a long weekend. I would change the itinerary a bit though since you're stays in Aberdeen and Edinburgh are a bit restricting. If you want to stay in Aberdeen on the first night then I'd head cross country to Edinburgh, around the by pass to the Forth Bridge then to Perth, Blairgowrie, Braemar and then down to Aberdeen from there. On day 2 (Friday), after Aberdeen, maybe re-trace your path to Grantown on Spey (the A96 to Inverness is busy and boring) and then across country to Forres or Nairn and on to somewhere north and west of Inverness such as Ullapool. Maybe use this as a base for a swing around the north coast on day three (Saturday). Day four (Sunday) , start making your way south via the west coast and make your way back to Edinburgh via Glencoe. That would leave you with an early start to get down to the ferry on the last day - so no bevvy - and take the motorway route for ease and quickness.

Really, I would just get a map and plan your days roughly as above. Once you are north and (especially west) of the central belt, you cannot really go wrong.

Aberdeen is about 4 hrs from Troon, 5 from Cairnryan. Edinburgh is 2 hours from Aberdeen.
To be honest, unless you have particular reason to visit Aberdeen, I can think of a few hundred better places to visit.
If you're set on Aberdeen then happy to help. Let me know what kind of thing you're looking for?

Aberdeen is about 4 hrs from Troon, 5 from Cairnryan. Edinburgh is 2 hours from Aberdeen.
To be honest, unless you have particular reason to visit Aberdeen, I can think of a few hundred better places to visit.
If you're set on Aberdeen then happy to help. Let me know what kind of thing you're looking for?

I assumed yer man was visiting his pal in Aberdeen, but re-reading the OP, it seems not since both pals are now in Embra? Anyway, R800, AA is right. Unless you have particular reasons for visiting Aberdeen, I'd stay on the west coast and maybe even by pass Glasgow by taking the ferry from Gourock to Dunoon and head north from there. The route from Dunoon to Oban is a belter!

Sorry just to clarify, one friend is living near Aberdeen and I'd like to stay there for that reason, and the other friend is in Edinburgh.
I'd have to visit both of them for political reasons...
But I do hear the North west is the bees knees...

Sorry just to clarify, one friend is living near Aberdeen and I'd like to stay there for that reason, and the other friend is in Edinburgh.
I'd have to visit both of them for political reasons...
But I do hear the North west is the bees knees...

As you were! See me original post!

(Irish fellas doing things for political reasons? Hard to believe ...;))

As you were! See me original post!

(Irish fellas doing things for political reasons? Hard to believe ...;))

It's all about keeping the peace these days!!! 😁

What's "the loop around the top?"

Hmmmmm.... Il have to get out the dictionary....
If I could speak irish at a competent level I'd give it a blast right now!

Don't think you would manage the NW in a day, well you could but it would be a long day:augie
I think your friend means the loop as being the Durness / Ullapool road, links up,some fine roads. But you have to be aware this time of year, get dark early, lots of stags on the roads first thing in morning and dusk at night time, dark about 4 30, so will curtail your mileage.
I would do Edinburgh first, then Aberdeen, go to Inverness via the whisky trail, avoid the A96. Maybe stay in Inverness, great city :D from there you can do the west coast in an hour, do the top end, avoid JOG, it's a dump :) and get home in time foe a wee dram

If you want any more info, give me a shout, for I am a Highlander :beerjug:

Sorry. Whereabouts in Aberdeen does your pal live ?

Don't think you would manage the NW in a day, well you could but it would be a long day:augie
I think your friend means the loop as being the Durness / Ullapool road, links up,some fine roads. But you have to be aware this time of year, get dark early, lots of stags on the roads first thing in morning and dusk at night time, dark about 4 30, so will curtail your mileage.
I would do Edinburgh first, then Aberdeen, go to Inverness via the whisky trail, avoid the A96. Maybe stay in Inverness, great city :D from there you can do the west coast in an hour, do the top end, avoid JOG, it's a dump :) and get home in time foe a wee dram

If you want any more info, give me a shout, for I am a Highlander :beerjug:

Well that sounds like a good start... Cheers

Maybe the North Coast 500 might be a bit much, Iv been guilty of planning a bit too much in the past and the trip suffers...

Back
Top Bottom