I may join this esteemed club on Sunday... but until then could use some guidance

ManhattanMcC

Reaction score
Hiya, Mac here.

I'm an American living in London for a few years. I plan to take some mid distance 2up tours through the UK and Continent with the wife, as well as weekend rides to-from various rugby clubs (I'm a referee). After having to leave my dear sweet Motor Co money pit behind at home, I figure if you're going to do it, do it right... get yourself a GS.

I'm looking at what appears to be a well loved '04 GS Adventure with 70k miles on it. It has all the trappings of a good deal... recent attention to the major noteworthy mechanicals, well documented maintenance history, polite and helpful owner (who actually suggested I have a look at this site to be sure of what I was getting into).

So with all that, pending an inspection and test-ride, I've already accounted for the requisite hole in my bank account.

My only concern is that I have ZERO experience with BMW, much less GS bikes. (other than to laugh at the banker types who rolled out of the NYC location with their fully outfitted, limited edition bikes in head-to-toe Motorrad gear who will certainly never even burn the nubbies off the tires) On most Japanese, HD, Vespa rides... I could tell you what well loved looks like vs 'screwed with' or 'experimental'. On a GS that will sound like farm equipment and ride completely differently than what i'm used to I'm afraid i'll be a bit lost.

Any sage advice?

Also, as a secondary question: I'm going to buy this bike, park it on the street in a fairly quiet residential area (solo parking area) cover/chain it up and expect to be A-OK. Am I flawed in my reasoning there?

And even a 3rd... Good set of metric wrenches, sockets, ball-head hex wrenches, torque wrench. Any other notable pieces of kit I will need to cover the basics? (not having a garage/shed I will undoubtedly employ others to service the bike, but the little things will need to be checked/addressed)

Thanks in advance

1. Get a demo - you may hate them as they are heavy and slow but functional and capable.
2. Servicing - Steptoe from this site can sort everything for you.
3. Get a massive lock,alarm,ground anchor, cover and pray a lot if you thinking of keeping any bike outside in London.

Welcome Mac. If you have been riding a Harley you will be used to slow, heavy and agricultural so you will feel at home on the GS:D The only difference is you can lean the GS more than 20 degrees before things start decking out.

They are easy to do basic maintenance on and has been pointed out you have Steptoe based in London if needed. Enjoy the bike.

Welcome !

Mac,
I'm based in Acton,West London.
I can offer you a wealth of knowledge about riding a GS/bikes in London.
PM me for info.

Steptoe's your man for all mechanicals,he's in Kingston Vale.SW15

Geoff.

Welcome. For your tools Halfords often put their professional range on offer if your in need of some decent sockets with a lifetime guarentee.

Regarding security, covering it up is a good idea and if you can find something solid to chain it too, preferably keeping both chain and lock off the ground to stop them dragging it off to a van. Good luck with the test ride.

After a Harley the handling will impress... Quite a few of us on here have a GS/Harley combo... (we have a Harley section if you wanna drop in there !! )

My only advice make sure it has a good battery ( MotoBatt etc) when you turn it on, let it do it stuff for a second before you hit the starter... The ABS will set with a clunk as you ride off... All will be well... Treat the engine like a Harley and let it warm up... Use the cold start

Keep the oils fresh.... And buy a big lock....

In Summary:
- My background in larger bikes means I'll probably be OK.
- Don't ride cold and cranky.
- I've got all the tools on hand that I'll need.
- Keep it covered. . . (wasn't there somewhere else I was supposed to remember that?)
- Lock it up, a few different ways and to something when possible.
- If I have mechanical needs see The GS Shop

Cool, thanks!

Join this esteemed club ,oh dear you'll be like a lamb to the slaughter .
Only pulling your leg dig in and enjoy :thumb2

In Summary:
- My background in larger bikes means I'll probably be OK.
- Don't ride cold and cranky.
- I've got all the tools on hand that I'll need.
- Keep it covered. . . (wasn't there somewhere else I was supposed to remember that?)
- Lock it up, a few different ways and to something when possible.
- If I have mechanical needs see The GS Shop

Cool, thanks!

I don't know where you live/work in London, but the various Corporation of London (i.e. the City itself) multistorey carparks offer free parking for bikes. They're sheltered, have CCTV and barriers, so it makes it difficult for a bike to be stolen. Various people actually park their bikes there "permanently", rather than in the open at home, and only take them out when they want to use them....Worth a thought.

You'll need a set of Torx drivers.

My only observation about that bike is the number of new alternator belts it has had. Seems odd, I didn't replace mine at all after I stopped having it dealer serviced and it did around 70,000 miles on the same belt unless Steptoe changed it when he serviced it at about 60,000 when I happened to be in London for a few days. If he did the last belt did around 36,000 miles.

Welcome from San Diego! One other thing you might check out is the videos from Jim Von Baden on advrider.com. If you want to do basic maintenance and get a complete list of tools check out his site. The dvd is cheap and I follow it for the basics.

Back
Top Bottom