IAM / Rospa or an advanced rider training day

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So SWMBO has agreed to fund this for me for my upcoming birthday. I would love to do a track day but it seems more practicle to do a track day combined with some skill trainng. But then there is Rospa and IAM. Regarding IAM and Rospa I know that the best fit is the group you get on with. But what I would like to know is, which gains me more skills, makes me a better rider..HOPP training or equivalent, or the IAM/Rospa route? Fill ya boots~!

IAM skills for life £139 what part of UK are you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're in Wandsworth ...

Come to Kent and have a day out with me. This forum is not the place for advertising, and it gets right up peoples noses when they do it :D

But You''ll learn so much, and will have a great day out - that's my promise :thumb2

http://rapidtraining.co.uk/

Mate, a day with the Likes of Giles or some other of the police rides on here would benefit you much more than IAM or ROSPA. Real world professional rides without the BS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...but the question remians...track day and skills or IAM etc

The answer to that question (in my opinion) is that everything has its place. My bias would be that Road riding skills has got to take precedence? I'm not a quicker rider on the road for stuff I've learned on the track, for emergency braking drills, for practising flik - flack slalom maneuvers in cones, or standing a bike up in a bend and braking hard, I'm a better road rider for honing all those road riding skills that come from observation skills, developing acceleration sense, honing my bend assessment, scanning, limit points, linking council signs to my right hand, coaching that 'in like a lamb out like a lion' style ... etc ....

My only observation with the IAM / RoSPA is that it can be a bit hit and miss. Whilst everybody is there to help, some of the observers can be a bit hit and miss. (Lets not sit on the fence - some are great and some are shockingly bad - let alone teachers .. ).

But a Hopp rider training day or the equivalent (Californian super bike school) would be a great day out and a good day to remember ...

I know how Giles rides, and am in absolute awe of his speed and safe riding skills. It makes sense to spendtime with him. I would love to do the cone riding, slow manouevres off public roads, gymlkhana ?...and other adavnced skills available that are off the public roads as well, I know when cornering, at times I feel really close to the ground, but in effect I am probably just less than upright!. So yes I'd like to work on improving my observation skills, safe speed, overtaking etc etc. However, a track day with training means an open road and time to get lean angle or concentrate on body position, breaking limits and points etc without worrying of going over a white line (hope that makes sense). I guess a Giles road and track day might be the answer?

So SWMBO has agreed to fund this for me for my upcoming birthday. I would love to do a track day but it seems more practicle to do a track day combined with some skill trainng. But then there is Rospa and IAM. Regarding IAM and Rospa I know that the best fit is the group you get on with. But what I would like to know is, which gains me more skills, makes me a better rider..HOPP training or equivalent, or the IAM/Rospa route? Fill ya boots~!

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain on any of these routes....but remember that you have to develop the skills yourself based on understanding and appreciating the input from your instructor/observer and then putting it into practice yourself - they can't do it for you.

.... but is a day ever really going to make enough difference?

.... a day could make all the difference, it could save your life!

You can't, simply can't, have too much knowledge when it comes to riding a motorcycle.

:beerjug:

Still learning daily .... :D

:beerjug:

I'd do advanced training and become a better road rider first, then do a track day at a later date. Which advanced route you would take could depend to a certain extent on how much time you have to spare and if you want to get more out of it long term from a social aspect. As above it can be hit and miss so maybe check your local branches of the IAM or ROSPA out to see what they are like if that's the route you want to take. If you get a duff observer you can always ask for a different one if you go down the IAM route. If you're looking to make significant progress in a short space of time then go see Jiles or one of his mates as the quality of instruction you recieve will be 1st class and the focus will be more on riding rather than the 'test' if that makes sense. I did a similar thing 20 years ago with an ex class 1 police instructor called Mike Waite and it was money well spent though I'm rustier than an old nail now. If you've never done any "advanced" riding before maybe the 2 day course would make sense, if you're already a competent fast rider the perhaps 1 day would do. Give the guys a call to discuss what you want/where you are. You WILL enjoy it!

But what I would like to know is, which gains me more skills, makes me a better rider..

None of the above....First, you need to put a loud exhaust on the bike...A tinted visor on the crash helmet is another way that you can go faster..and wearing a hoody over your bike jacket is an absolute must for going faster.. And finally.. a very small number plate will make any bike corner much better.

Knee sliders ... You forgot knee sliders ...!!

that you have attacked with an angle grinder to make look like you have leant over at 73 degrees round tesco roundabouts.....

Had a day out with Graham from the afforementioned Rapid Training...(tragically Giles was busy that day)....And I have to say, it was one of the best days out I have had on a bike...

that you have attacked with an angle grinder to make look like you have leant over at 73 degrees round tesco roundabouts.....

Had a day out with Graham from the afforementioned Rapid Training...(tragically Giles was busy that day)....And I have to say, it was one of the best days out I have had on a bike...

Back
Top Bottom