Panniers - Marmite?

Nuts, I love you like only one man can love another man (and Mrs Nuts) so don`t sweat it mate and read my post about the full akra.....

Mmm, full Akra!:drool

Is it off to Hilltop once it's fitted?:hide:D

I knew it would be a polarising thread.................

I actually agree, this isn`t a bike for panniers of any shape or size (IMHO), but it doesn`t stop me from tinkering and I`m always `all ears` to what others can come up with apart from just excellent opinions.

I have the panniers and the top box on my XR and find them very handy, I have the top box on all of the time which takes a helmet + enough space for spare gloves and whatever else you feel is handy to have. The panniers are big enough to take a full face helmet or whatever else you want to take, and would be able to hold easily enough kit for a week or two away.
Very easy to fit / remove and in my opinion look good too.
A lot of people say they look ugly but I disagree but like you say each to there own. Personally I've been down the sports bikes route and struggled with luggage over the years. But since owning a GS and. GSA both LC versions I could never go back to a bike without a luggage option.
For me I have in the XR a sports bike no boxes, a commuter for getting to work top box, and a tourer panniers and box.

That's my tuppence worth cheers Terry

My 2 pence worth

Any panniers that don't spoil the looks of the XR (all IMO of course) will be useless for what is needed I>E you will get so little in them easily its not worth bothering.

I have removed the pannier rails from mine and use a BMW soft bag for when i need to take stuff with me.

kriega would be equally as good.

Mark I agree with Nutty ......

They couldn't make it any worse than the std exhaust :blast

Pop on a set of Mules and job done !

have you got a pair fella? What do you think? Presuming you mean `XR`.....

XR, indeed.

I loaded my 1600's for a week away, which left a reasonable enough amount of room, not surprisingly.

By way of an experiment I then loaded the same lot into the two XR's panniers. OK, there was not a lot of room to spare, but (given the XR's panniers much smaller volume than the GT's much larger panniers) it was passingly interesting to see just how much the XR's panniers can hold.

Buy and use with confidence.

What a great recommendation! I had very little regard for the bmw panniers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shad panniers look better than the BMW ones and can be transferred to other brands of bike :thumby:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 379
script>

script>

Angular, weight down low, strongly made - the only `issue` was how big or how small
They are not panniers, they are sandwich boxes :)

Geezers what`s the opinion on panniers on the XR?

Personally I`m not a great lover of panniers on any other bike other than my beloved GS(A) let alone `top boxes from hell` :blast

I bought the TE model XR and it came with pannier rails so I took a look at the panniers :barf I know its all subjective and one man`s idea of something lovely ain`t the next man`s however I really REALLY didn`t like them. £260 each one wafer thin and looking like blood blisters...........

Thing is I haven`t seen ONE of us on an XR with the panniers fitted (though I`m sure there is and I remain respectful :bow) sooooooo what is it we may need?

Personally - its a sport bike and SHOULDN'T be spoilt with daft things like panniers (IMHO) but bearing in mind its such a versatile missile if it did need panniers I would think that they would have to be:

1. Angular (to be in keeping with the lines on the bike)
2. Robust (to continue the `adventure` sports image)
3. Small yet able to carry at least `something`
4. Tig welded items of beauty
5. In black to suit the bike

What do we think lads (if anything) do we need an alternative to what BMW is offering?

Agree, panniers on the XR look shite. I've removed the pannier rails and also removed the rear foot pegs. Some guy called Mark fleeced me for an exhaust hanger and blanking bolts:beerjug:

I have an SW moteck day tank bag, nice and small, and a BMW small bag for my under crackers if I tour.

the reason the KTM panniers work* is that they look like they were designed as part of the bike. the top line follows the line of the seat. the lower line of the coloured panel follows the bottom of the seat, the frame tubes and the coloured tank panels. the overall shape echoes the angular shapes of the bike generally.

*i say work. they are KTM panniers, so they probably leak, jam and fall apart, but they look nice.

Agree with that. My son has had a new orange Austrian chain drive tractor for 3 months, the 1050 version. He's now on his 3rd top box due to them leaking. He also now has problems with the locks on the panniers.

Agree with that. My son has had a new orange Austrian chain drive tractor for 3 months, the 1050 version. He's now on his 3rd top box due to them leaking. He also now has problems with the locks on the panniers.

I`m kinda sensing these KTM panniers aren`t that brill............

Agree, panniers on the XR look shite. I've removed the pannier rails and also removed the rear foot pegs. Some guy called Mark fleeced me for an exhaust hanger and blanking bolts:beerjug:

I have an SW moteck day tank bag, nice and small, and a BMW small bag for my under crackers if I tour.

Ha yeah but it was a fleecing made with lurve :D

Mmm, full Akra!:drool

Is it off to Hilltop once it's fitted?:hide:D

Nope, as discussed, I`m going for the power commander route as it`s unpluggable if I need it whereas an ECU remap ain`t.......

Also, the Performance Parts site (where I bought it) links to DynaTech (who do the power commanders) as the `Akra Performance` also does and quotes them to get the extra power and torque out the engine once the headers and zorst is fitted. Dunno about the power commander but the system is very close to £2k.........

this is the link...........

http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com...ategories/exhausts/akrapovic-exhausts/E-B10E5

and this

https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15576?brandId=44&modelId=723&yearId=3771

Dear god it would be embarrassing riding around with a rehashed biscuit tin on the side. There is nothing wrong with bmw's offering and if you dont like that just use Ventura luggage.

Dear god it would be embarrassing riding around with a rehashed biscuit tin on the side. There is nothing wrong with bmw's offering and if you dont like that just use Ventura luggage.

I used ventura on my CB1300 and it was really good apart from it leaking, the zip breaking and all the colour bleaching out..........

Actually, it was shite :D but its all subjective.

Pleased the BMW stuff sounds good, not that I will be buying it - I`m likely to use those Ortleib throwover bags which look really good and I suspect very waterproof :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom