Panniers - Marmite?

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Geezers what`s the opinion on panniers on the XR?

Personally I`m not a great lover of panniers on any other bike other than my beloved GS(A) let alone `top boxes from hell` :blast

I bought the TE model XR and it came with pannier rails so I took a look at the panniers :barf I know its all subjective and one man`s idea of something lovely ain`t the next man`s however I really REALLY didn`t like them. £260 each one wafer thin and looking like blood blisters...........

Thing is I haven`t seen ONE of us on an XR with the panniers fitted (though I`m sure there is and I remain respectful :bow) sooooooo what is it we may need?

Personally - its a sport bike and SHOULDN'T be spoilt with daft things like panniers (IMHO) but bearing in mind its such a versatile missile if it did need panniers I would think that they would have to be:

1. Angular (to be in keeping with the lines on the bike)
2. Robust (to continue the `adventure` sports image)
3. Small yet able to carry at least `something`
4. Tig welded items of beauty
5. In black to suit the bike

What do we think lads (if anything) do we need an alternative to what BMW is offering?

Geezers what`s the opinion on panniers on the XR?

Personally I`m not a great lover of panniers on any other bike other than my beloved GS(A) let alone `top boxes from hell` :blast

I bought the TE model XR and it came with pannier rails so I took a look at the panniers :barf I know its all subjective and one man`s idea of something lovely ain`t the next man`s however I really REALLY didn`t like them. £260 each one wafer thin and looking like blood blisters...........

Thing is I haven`t seen ONE of us on an XR with the panniers fitted (though I`m sure there is and I remain respectful :bow) sooooooo what is it we may need?

Personally - its a sport bike and SHOULDN'T be spoilt with daft things like panniers (IMHO) but bearing in mind its such a versatile missile if it did need panniers I would think that they would have to be:

1. Angular (to be in keeping with the lines on the bike)
2. Robust (to continue the `adventure` sports image)
3. Small yet able to carry at least `something`
4. Tig welded items of beauty
5. In black to suit the bike

What do we think lads (if anything) do we need an alternative to what BMW is offering?

Dunno what the BMW XR panniers are like but the ones KTM will be offering on their new XR-beater look quite tidy and close fitting.

Something like this but in black and metal :

That`s very nice but I think its a balance between having nothing and `spoiling` the lines of the bike with panniers - so there`s a midway point which I think will be very subjective.

Must say the KTM looks good (but not as good as the XR................)

I see they are doing `angular`................

And black.

I'd quite happily throw 38l balanced Metalmules on that bike - because it wouldn't be wearing them all the time. The KTM isn't so sleek that it wouldn't take chamfered-edge panniers (not too large) without spoiling it.

Al

I'd quite happily throw 38l balanced Metalmules on that bike - because it wouldn't be wearing them all the time. The KTM isn't so sleek that it wouldn't take chamfered-edge panniers (not too large) without spoiling it.

Al

Fair point - i`m one for an Ortlieb bag bungeed to the rear seat.

But I was tinkering away and came up with this............

script>

script>

Angular, weight down low, strongly made - the only `issue` was how big or how small

no.

just no.

I knew it would be a polarising thread.................

I actually agree, this isn`t a bike for panniers of any shape or size (IMHO), but it doesn`t stop me from tinkering and I`m always `all ears` to what others can come up with apart from just excellent opinions.

I knew it would be a polarising thread.................

I actually agree, this isn`t a bike for panniers of any shape or size (IMHO), but it doesn`t stop me from tinkering and I`m always `all ears` to what others can come up with apart from just excellent opinions.

the reason the KTM panniers work* is that they look like they were designed as part of the bike. the top line follows the line of the seat. the lower line of the coloured panel follows the bottom of the seat, the frame tubes and the coloured tank panels. the overall shape echoes the angular shapes of the bike generally.

*i say work. they are KTM panniers, so they probably leak, jam and fall apart, but they look nice.

Try looking on the shad web site. They have loads of panniers and it may give you some inspiration.

the reason the KTM panniers work* is that they look like they were designed as part of the bike. the top line follows the line of the seat. the lower line of the coloured panel follows the bottom of the seat, the frame tubes and the coloured tank panels. the overall shape echoes the angular shapes of the bike generally.

*i say work. they are KTM panniers, so they probably leak, jam and fall apart, but they look nice.

Brill point. So, would we trade functionality (not leaking or jamming or falling apart) for looking good? In my very humble opinion, and as a contrast, my BMW panniers don`t seem to leak or jam and they haven`t fallen to bits however they look like big square boxes hanging off the side of the bike (and I`m not saying that's a bad thing!)

Subjective eh?

Mark, I love you like a brother, so please don't take this personally.........

DON'T DO IT!:thumb

i think you either need OEM type *styled* panniers, or maybe go the whole other way and put big, boxy ali boxes on as and when required and pretend you don't care what they look like as you're a rufty tufty adventurer type :)

...or

just chuck throw overs on it.

there. job done. where's my beer?

Try looking on the shad web site. They have loads of panniers and it may give you some inspiration.

Thanks fella but I`m not looking for inspiration (but I REALLY appreciate your suggestion :thumb2) - just to demonstrate that I can `do stuff` an generate interest/opinions. I won`t be using the panniers I have `tinkered with` as I think the bike shouldn`t have panniers on it. I think its a great bike, very versatile and if its going to be used for touring then a bag strapped to the back will do for me.

Just for the record I`ve just spent an insane amount of dosh on an Akra rear box and titanium headers then its off to be tuned to make it even faster. You don`t do this and put on panniers........... (but I respect the lads who do `tour` on it)

Back
Top Bottom