Zumo Map Update snafu...

Cogs

Reaction score
Hi, just come to do a well overdue first map update (lifetime entitlement) to a Z660.
New maps to be installed are 5.19GB. Installed 8GB microSD has 6.86GB vacant storage but on initialising update via Garmin Express, we are told thatthe new maps are soooo big (see above ) that there is not enough room for them on the device and to contact customer support. FAQs suggest fitting an external SD card if space is an issue (also see above).

Diagnostic on the Zumo dashboard states internal memory is 93% full. Is that an issue? Could I / should I delete some of the internal content to make room?

TIA,

CoGS

It amazes me why garmin have not increased the memory during the 660s lifespan. I have the cheapo 220 and it takes all the new mapping no problem...

At some point did garmin express give you the option to use the installed sd card for the maps? its a while since i have used it. you could always take the option of installing to pc only and then transfer the maps to the sd card yourself using mapsource or base camp, doing it this way you would be able to choose what areas of europe to install.
Unless you know what you are doing i would not start deleting stuff from the internal memory you could end up with a dead 660, and besides there should not be any reason to as you have the sd card.

update instructions to sd card from garmin are here. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0b087770-5dba-11e1-dd60-000000000000}

Note, The SD card support during the map update will only function with up-to-date software.

Note 2 more info Here. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={7d3c74d0-6b61-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

Try reformatting the SD card to fat 32 as a starting point. Then do a hard reset on the device. At the moment your old maps are on the device which has only 4gb. The new maps all need to go onto the card. Looks like GE doesn't see the card.

Back
Top Bottom