Nav V Tracker App

Dodger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any body used this? I am trying to figure out what it is and how it works. Looks interesting especially for trips with mates when one of you makes it through a set of lights and everyone else is wondering where to go. I don't have any comprehensive instructions as my unit only came with basic instructions. Any info on of the Tracker app, or indeed a comprehensive set of instructions would be welcomed.

No. It's the best manual I've found and mirrors the one I got with my Nav V but tbh I got more from broddling around with the device and reading Wapping's thread than I did from the manual.

I think the fellow might be referring to a Garmin (or some third party) app, that links the device to a smart phone.

That's just a guess.

A new app has appeared on my Nav 5 in the past few days, or at least I hadn't noticed it until recently! I can only assume that it somehow got updated via the Smart Link app as the Nav 5 hasn't been plugged into the computer in a couple of months. Either way, it looks like something that will allow you to track the location of others, and for others to track your location...

Ok, my quick findings so far...

You can use the app to send your own location info to email addresses, twitter and Facebook. It provides a link that shows in real time where you are, and the sender has to stipulate how long (up to 24hrs) the tracking will last for.

I've got it to work sending to email addresses, but not so far with facebook. The app says to set it up via the phone, but no amount of searching the Nav5 app, the smartphone link app, the iphone settings menu or the iphone FB app has turned up anything useful.

Not yet tested, but if you have someone else's Tracker ID (found under profile within the Nav 5 app) I think you should be able to track their location on your Nav 5 and send short text messages between each other too.

Oooh, that looks interesting. Thanx for posting, keep up the good work and keep us updated please.
As I said above, broddling about with the device seems to bring up the most interesting finds.
And Wapping of course (reading his threads, not broddling about with him).

Is this just a NavV function or is this likely to be on the 590LM as well?

I found this link about Garmin Live Services with a bit of Googling:

http://garmin.blogs.com/ukpr/2012/01/garmin-smartphone-link-for-android-provides-live-services-to-n%C3%BCvi-personal-navigation-devices-garmin-the-global-leader-in.html#.Vla2M_ntmko

"Free connected services will include the Garmin Tracker application which enables you to allow friends on Facebook and Twitter to track your location, live weather information and myGarmin™ messaging, which provides update notifications and special offers from Garmin. "

and

"Garmin Smartphone Link works with selected Bluetooth enabled 2012 Garmin PNDs, the nüvi 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LMT, 3490LT, 3490LMT and the all-new 3590LMT, the company’s most feature-packed 5” navigator. All of these models require a software update, except the nüvi 3590LMT. Garmin Smartphone Link is available from the Android Market at no cost. To learn more, go to http://sites.garmin.com/smartphonelink."

so i guess the 590 will have this as well.

Thanks everyone for contributing. My understanding so far is that the 590LM does not have this feature so it may just be restricted to Nav V owners. I don't do Facebook or or Twitter but I did think it may be a cool feature for mates following / leading and for Mrs M to see where I am (like she would anyway!). Why BMW / Garmin launch these features without information is beyond me! A mate has suggested I try the Zumo Forum so I am just going to give that a try. Please keep posting, and lets crack it.

Sweet Jesus on a bicycle, how did bods ever manage with SWMBO before these apps were invented?

Here's a quick bikermater tip:

'Do Facebook', you'll be able to tell the dozy bint where you are (and she, you) with a picture, which will save you hours of angst. How cool is that? Cracked it.

If you get separated from your riding buddy(s), you could use the phone/talk function rather than the app on your mobile phone.

If you get separated from your riding buddy(s), you could use the phone/talk function rather than the app on your mobile phone.

Done something similar when we all got separatedin Barcelona !!! one of us had an app on our iPhones which showed we he was on a map by using his email address.

I may have just made a kinda step forward. Whilst searching I came across this guy who teaches Sat Nav use in the US and is familiar with the Nav 5. http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article07_gps/article07_nav5.shtml It says nothing about the Tracker App and so I believe it is A. A brand new app and B. It is only on the latest BMW GS, GSA (to my knowledge) and C. It has to be in the compatible cradle and active
I have written to him to ask for further info. He is unbelievably knowledgable as his web site shows and so I hope he will lead us to a decent set of instructions

Copied from Zumo forum

Nav V - Tracker Application
It only works if you are both using the Garmin Smart link app to connect your GPS to your phone.

To use it, go into the tracker app on the GPS and click the 3 bar menu button. If you click profile you can see your tracker ID. Note this down.

On the friend's GPS, go into the tracker app, click 3 bar menu then press edit contacts. Add your tracker ID. Your friend can now follow you for up to 24 hours.

In future, once tracker IDs are already setup you can just hit the follow me button.

Remember, a GPS invites another to follow it, you can't request permission to follow someone else if that makes sense.

Been using the tracker since we both got new bikes in May, but I use the email invite option. It sends you a link to watch the position of the GPS on a web page map. I use it when the wife is out riding on her own so I have a rough idea where she is if anything were to happen.

You can also track on your phone via the Garmin tracker app from the Android store
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=18693.msg138608#msg138608

Back
Top Bottom