Intaride HAWK radio system

You still have to get access to the unit to change channels.

I have the wired set up, and have a problem with one headset, which Intaride have replaced, quickly and efficently. Once it arrives I can give the system a good test. Initial impressions....seems a good piece of kit.

please do update this thread about how you get on and system performance etc:thumb2

I'm putting the unit on the left side of the grip and using one of these, http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RTLC/1250267-268.html you can get a 10mm bolt for the wunderlich mount that replaces the one which holds the bar end on.

Radio is waterproof.

Also have looked at the back of the radio, and the chassis is made of aluminium, and the recesses that hide the fixing screws can be tapped out to 4mm so that's how I plan to mount it on to the wunderlich mount.

I have a 2m antenna extension lead which gives me plenty of cable to get to the back of the bike.

David @ Intaride said I can use the small antenna from the existing setup, or the longer stainless steel one with the new kit.

Wunderlich kit has to come from Germany so won't be here for a week which means it will be just before xmas when I strip the bike down to fit it.

I'm probably going to get a fuzeblock, but NN is the only UK source and don't like buying from them after last few disasters and their non customer focus way of doing business.

Radio is waterproof.

Which radio are you planning on using.

If you mount the radio via the die cast chassis, what about the battery?

How will you power it?

Most radios are 7.2V so you will need to regulate 12V down to probably 7.5V.

The Hawk system is a radio/intercom combined, powered directly from the bike.

You can use Bluetooth modules or a wired system to rider/pillion.

Check out the link in the first post.

So I have a 12v desk mounted supply and powered the unit up.

I paired it to my BMW helmet and the microphone would not pick up, tried their headset and the same thing , no microphone pickup at all.

I did a factory reset, same problems again, and now it's stuck in low power mode.

I'll play over the weekend, but think I'll be giving Intaride a all on Monday.

Glad I tested it on the bench before taking the bike apart.

Update, looks like the other Intaride radio I was using was set to sub channel 10, got out a Midland radio I have and the Bluetooth headset (even BMW one) transmits a treat.

Now I only need to figure out how to switch from low power mode.

Got my replacement headset yesterday, checked it out, then fitted into helmet. Used the radio just at home, seems fine. Went for a ride today, with the boss on the back. Intercom very clear, even at 140+kph, with ear plugs in. I'm using a wired set up. Old fashioned, still don't like bluetooth.

The unit is under the seat, with the ariel laying flat beside top box rack.

If you figure out the low to high setting, pls post.

Are you keeping the antenna there or is it a temporary solution.

Also what bike are you using ? Mines going on a 2014 RT

Bike is a 2008 1200gs.
The ariel is temp as is the positioning for the whole system, as I have a new Triple Black arriving in January, and I didn't want to get into any 'heavy' fitting mods while trying to sell the bike.

So first fit mockup in place.

With any luck, I'll get it fitted in the next week, but am out on the bike tomorrow.

Before any tosser mentions it, wires will be tided up and not left as loose as they are!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450387573.917181.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450387573.917181.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,014
If you figure out the low to high setting, pls post.

Got this from Wintec who make the radios as not heard back from Intaride

If you want to switch power 10W, you need to open "S TXP ON" in the special mode and switch "TX PWR H" in the setting mode.
Please refer as below linking of video to open "S TXP ON". ^^
http://www.motorcyclecom.com.tw/Expand10W.wmv

TX Power-- Low
TX Power-- Middle
TX Power-- High
PMR Mode
"S TXP OFF" (Expand Power OFF)
0.5W
(Menu Hasn’t "TX PWR L" Setting Item)
--
(Menu Hasn’t "TX PWR M" Setting Item)
--
(Menu Hasn’t "TX PWR H" Setting Item)
PMR Mode
"S TXP ON" (Expand Power ON)
0.5W
(Menu Has "TX PWR L" Setting Item)
--
10W
(Menu Has "TX PWR H" Setting Item)
Programmable Mode
1W
(Menu Hasn’t "TX PWR L" Setting Item)
4W
10W
(Menu Hasn’t "TX PWR H" Setting Item)

Keep the updates coming up Wobble as I will be getting one of these systems and I like the way you are mounting it.;)

Keep the updates coming up Wobble as I will be getting one of these systems and I like the way you are mounting it.;)

PS. What is the box with the red and yellow knobs to the left of the Hawk for and what it the box mounted above it?

It's on, just waiting for one extra antenna connection, then I'll document it.

The red and yellow knobs are the radio warm n safe heat troller (electric cod piece heater).

I put it in a small black plastic box from maplin, and this makes it less obvious what it is. The bracket for the box is a black plastic 6mm thick sheet from eBay, and it screws into the GS style mirrors.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451931406.636947.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1451931406.636947.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 927
So first fit mockup in place.

With any luck, I'll get it fitted in the next week, but am out on the bike tomorrow.

Before any tosser mentions it, wires will be tided up and not left as loose as they are!

What mount have you used to connect to the left bar/stem ?

It's all in and fitted.

The unit was under my seat, but I found it picked up interference, and it's been good as gold on the bars.

POWER
I have put a Fuzeblock under the rear seat, and this powers the radio and Bluetooth module.

WIRES
The unit comes with quite a lot of wire, so rather that cut and shut, I put them all in the front left fairing,( blue tie wraps = radio/Comms on this bike so I know what is mine).

The wires to the unit are encased in braided sleeving, and I'm not happy about the bulges in the power cable ( the unit has a 12v non waterproof connector about 15cm away from the radio). Two of the cables for me are redundant (audio in and passenger audio out) but they have 10cm cable tails which need accommodating.

BLUETOOTH
The unit has an optional BT module, and I put this on the top of the tank cover so I can see if it's pairing ok?

MOUNTINGS
The standard for this type of unit seems to be to slap a bit of Velcro on the back, but I didn't want that, and as the chassis is made of aluminium, with recessed screw holes, I managed to tap the chassis out to 4mm ( got a second cut tap and ground the end to a flat to avoid damaging the screws that hold the front on.

I have various 6mm nylon and plastic sheet off cuts (eBay) and these are ideal for this type of thing, as they are easy to cut, and won't rust.

With a Wunderlich bar mounting system for the RT, and 4mm stainless cap head screws, it's a nice clean install, and I replaced the adjustment wing nuts with stainless screws.

I can change the settings without having to remove seat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445419.608819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445419.608819.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 503
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445434.584026.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445434.584026.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 522
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445443.380135.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445443.380135.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 496
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445611.534081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1452445611.534081.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 497
Hi Jeff,

What are you using (Bluetooth, hardwire) etc?

I note that I need a far lower volume on the Hawk than my other connected devices ( have my BMW helmet on lowest volume setting)

You can turn down the volume of your Hawk, that might help.

Back
Top Bottom