DT50 Seat Height

denny

Reaction score
My wife has been bugging me to get her a bike to learn on & ride etc. I've found a very tidy original '83 DT50MX, which is an ideal bike to learn on but I'm a bit worried about the seat height. According to t'internet the DT is around 31" - 32" and wifey has an inseam around the 28" mark. I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem as I can get feet down (toes only mind) on both sides of my WR250R which has a 36.6" seat height and I have a 31.5" inseam.

I know the best solution would be to take her with me to view, however work/family commitments don't permit. Really like the bike so I might just buy it and hope for the best...if it doesn't fit I might have to keep it for myself :D

Like one of these:

yamaha-dt-50_2585.jpg

That's what I spent a year riding when I was 16 and my inseam couldn't have been more than 29" at the time and I weighed nothing so it didn't exactly lower when I sat on it.

Loved that little bike. Saw someone do the Lands End Trial on one too.

Thats the one, except it has a black frame and shorter seat. I've never ridden one but it seems to have been a popular bike....I've read so many similar comments from previous owners.

Were you flat footing or tip toes?

Check this awesome restoration out...

Another thing...the bike is supposedly low milage and well looked after. Whats the deal with old school two strokes like the DT? Do they need regular rebuilds or just a service every once in a while?

I seem to recall I didn't flat foot it... But when I got in to biking properly many years later, I can't touch the ground at all on either of my main bikes. And it's stood me in good stead - making me plan ahead, keep the bike balanced, and not think that getting your feet on the ground is always the solution!

As to the maintenance, I have no idea - sorry.

Another thing...the bike is supposedly low milage and well looked after. Whats the deal with old school two strokes like the DT? Do they need regular rebuilds or just a service every once in a while?
I had a DT175.
Put a lot of miles on it. Stripped the top end a couple of times to have a look at the condition of the bore/rings and clean the top of the piston while i was in there.
Cleaned out the exhaust a couple of times too - repacked the (aftermarket) 'silencer'.
Apart from regular services, that was all.
Even rode the thing from Dublin to Luton and back once with Og Junior on the back.
Good Luck and have fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom