Grasshill Causeway, Ireshopeburn

Mr K

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the above road, featured in the latest ABR mag is fine to do solo if you're an old duffer on a 1200GS you'd rather not break?
The article said it was mainly tarmac but rough and rocky in places......

Thanks,

:beerjug:

if you are talking about coldberry end ucr the lane up to coldbery end from irshhopeburn would be ok but from coldberry end down towards alston side is a lot of loose stones about the size of tennis balls so would be tricky on a big gs .we do it plenty on smaller bikes .but as long as you are a decent off road rider you could just sit down and paddle on the west side as big gs dont like loose stones when all the weight is on the front end going down hill

if you are talking about coldberry end ucr the lane up to coldbery end from irshhopeburn would be ok but from coldberry end down towards alston side is a lot of loose stones about the size of tennis balls so would be tricky on a big gs .we do it plenty on smaller bikes .but as long as you are a decent off road rider you could just sit down and paddle on the west side as big gs dont like loose stones when all the weight is on the front end going down hill
Good advice, From the Alston side the first uphill is very tricky on a big GS. Did it this summer on my GSA and found it tough.
However it is a very short section and once past it is easy going. If I was to do it again I would aim to do it in reverse to hit this section down hill.
From the coldberry side to the summit should be ok solo.

Have a look on Google Street view, it's on there from the North end up to a little way past the reservoir.

I had a go a few weeks back, before Winter came back.
It starts as crappy tarmac and gets crappier by turning to increasingly bigger rocks, going uphill.
I got to a fork off for a shooters hut where I managed to turn round.
Apparently I did the right thing as it gets worse after there....
As ever it looks pretty tame in the pictures, because I daren't stop when going up or coming back down the rocky part.

:rob

Back
Top Bottom