May 2016 Germany

I saw the 'GPS route for sale' bit. At less than the price of a beer, I guess it's not too bad if somebody wants a quick 'I'm going there and want a route for my holiday'. That they could also just create it for themselves from the free map, is of course an option, just as it's possible to do from the ADAC maps.

As you say, it's a good magazine; even if one doesn't speak a word of the local lingo. Link the routes to the hotels they suggest and drag in the 'Things to see and do' sites and you'd have a pretty good holiday for not a lot of effort.

I buy it whenever I see something in it that interest me. Very good mag though.

I decided to give it a year's subscription via their app in iTunes. Very easy to do.... As it's all in English.

I usually pick up a copy if I'm trundling through a petrol station in France or Germany. There used to be a very good newsagents in Leadenhall Market in the City who ordered it in for me. But, in this dumbed down world they have turned it into a stuffed baked potato shop or Mexican taco vendors or summat.

I also had a crack at the Alpen Tourer subscription, similarly easy to do via the app in iTunes.

I decided to give it a year's subscription via their app in iTunes. Very easy to do.... As it's all in English.

As with all German magazines, you normally have to cancel the subscription. Usually with a years notice, so subscribe & then cancel after they confirm the subs and take the money.
DAHIK!

I have done a couple routes from this site, i was looking at areas in Germany that are not covered in wappings big file, to try and add something to that area. i will do a few more and then upload them, if anyone has a certain route that they would like shout up, the route names are above the route map.
if you are not already aware you can enlarge the maps on the site by clicking the Vollbildansicht button above and to the far right of the map.

That's a great idea. One of the best sites for odd routes in all sorts of less travelled (at least for Brits) areas of Germany is the Kurven Koenig and the Biker Betten site, too.

Scroll down a bit in the opening post of this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/416452-Germany-calling

On my iPad I went through both sites' PDF files and saved them into iBook. From there it's easy enough to chop bits out and / or open a PDF in one of the 'Professional' apps to amend or copy bits.

The PDF downloads available from some of the sites work really well on an iPad, when loaded into iBook. From there it's easy enough to copy pieces and / or use one of the Professional' PDF apps to make some changes. Copy the amended or cut out pieces into Word / Pages / whatever and you've built yourself a trip file.

2ddebb882eb5af3d73e0e09e26f434a3.jpg
33b7f59a4a6a420473ee0d11412c10d9.jpg

I use these maps. Bought them at a petrolstation. Also available Amazon.de.
Good biker hotel in Klotten, next to Cochem, Hotel Zur Post.
Enjoy!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Good biker hotel in Klotten, next to Cochem, Hotel Zur Post.
Enjoy!

I've stopped there several times. Klaus is a lovely bloke and a great chef. The only downside is that it's next to the railway line. I tend to stop in Cochem nowadays as there are more bars and restaurants to choose from.

In the middle of Cochem there are some tablets on the wall marking the flood levels for several different years. Couldn't believe how high the water levels were , the whole town would have been under many feet of water. Take a look .

Just back today. Been a mix of weather, with our day in Eifel park best (sunshine :). Also dare I say the best roads.
Had great fun playing with some Dutch bikers on the windy roads around there. The bus handles damned good two up with luggage!

Pick of the places to stay was Monschau. Very nice. Well located and would probably use as a base if going back to Eifel national park.

Monschau is a lovely little town. Very picturesque. The only downside is that, as it is located deep in a valley, it can get a bit dark and damp when the weather is not so good

Back
Top Bottom