Looking for a GPS that has good speed camera and limit information

tPIC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Being the lucky owner of 9 points on my driving license, I'm looking for a gps that will give me better information about speed limits and cameras.

In the last 9 months I've picked up 9 points for 34 in a 30 zone (twice) and 45 in a 40. I'd been on a speed awareness course in 2013 (35mph) so do not qualify for another of those for 3 years - summer 2016. I don't think that I'm a speed freak by nature.

I accept that I sped, so I accept responsibility for that. But it is a right arse!

I just want to remove the chance that I'll be unaware of a speed limit and maybe even have the thing ding an alert in my ear. Might prove annoying but evidence shows that I need it.

Any advice appreciated.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you need to start watching your speed. If you need GPS to save you from fixed cameras how is that going to help you with mobile cameras and police patrols?
You've done the speed awareness course so you know the effect of even small increases in speed above the limit.
I'm no angel, but I do not speed in town.

:beerjug:

There's also no guarantee the GPS will be correct.

Whilst I don't use it, bods swear by (rather than swear at) the Garmin based system. No doubt there are lots of options for things that go 'Ping'.

Of course they are only (reasonably) reliable for the fixed cameras and in areas where the police / council have advised Garmin that there are regular temporary controls. They won't help you when Giles leaps out from his favourite dogging lay-by, clutching his weapon of nine point terror.

Best advice.... Keep 'em peeled and if you see bods in the distance suddenly slowing and / or brake lights coming on for no obvious reason, work out that something is afoot and consider slowing the hooning (awsome steed or not).

Thanks. I'm not defending my history and I accept that I must have a bit of a problem here. I had gone the previous 23 years with zero points so it's not habitual - I hope.

This has made me really look at the way I ride and drive, but I know I now cannot have even a single unlucky moment though without the risk of disqualification so to supplement me being slower by thinking about it if any tools can help that I'm welcoming them.

Zumos have audible alerts via blutooth.
But the limits aren't always accurate, especially since so many 60s are now 50s.
So you still have to just watch the signs.

I've drastically altered the way I ride and the roads I ride on in recent years. Like my regular riding buddy I live in the sticks and rely on a driving licence for work.....losing it would mean losing my job, it's that simple.

We generally keep off A roads nowadays and much prefer B and unclassified roads.....less traffic means journey times are often little different and you get better scenery thrown in. Extra careful on 'Biking roads' and where there's a big rally or race meet.
If we use motorways stick below 80. If we overtake a line of cars just do it sensibly....no crossing solid lines or stupid blind bend antics....you never know who you've just passed. It's said that Lincolnshire police now use hire cars and change them every 2-3 weeks....no blues and twos....just a video camera, then a week later you get a letter through the door If you've been naughty.

Built up areas? Average speed cameras? Simple, we don't speed. Might seem boring but it's the way things are going nowadays and it's only going to get worse (or better, depending on your viewpoint)

The speed limit warnings on my Garmins are, by and large, a waste of time. Not every road has a limit shown and a lot of the limits shown round here (rural Cheshire) are anything up to a year out of date. If I could find a way of turning them off I would as I'd rather have no information than untrustworthy information. They aren't great in parts of France either for the same reason.

Turn them off via System, 'Extras' or summat like that. It's easy to do.

I gues you have to subscribe to keep them up to date. There again, rather like petrol stations closing, Garmin relies on third parties to keep news of alterations up to date.

Edit: The answer, as ever, is out there:

https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={d36b75b0-b2d8-11e0-5f51-000000000000}

It might not be entirely right for your device but you'll get the gist of it. A search will turn up your device's exact instructions.

Wapping's link leads to advice on turning off camera warnings, which I've already done on both Zumo 350 and Nuvi 2595 as out-of-date warnings are irritating and unhelpful. What I want to do is turn off the speed limit display as it routinely lies to me. Having found this https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={c9512840-ea61-11de-5887-000000000000} it looks like I'm stuck with it unless OSM excludes the facility.

Hi

Notice you are based in the Winchester area the police are very keen in and around this patch to catch people exceeding the limits on otherwise clear roads at minor indiscretions, I was also stopped and charged for doing 53 in a 50. They will be out in force again soon due to the few loonies that tear up the roads at the first sign of spring.

The Garmin Zumo 590 has a speed limit icon in the lower LHS of the screen (I'm not sure if the 390 has this) if you go over that speed it turns red
as a warning and you can activate a single tone or (annoying) re-occurring tone. It is fairly accurate and a handy feature.

I find it useful although the size of the font could be bigger i find myself squinting into the screen to see the
speed limit but my eye sight isn't what it used to be.

In France its a fixed 1000 Euro on the spot fine if the rozzers find the safety cameras activated on your GPS so this feature warns me of my
speed and the safety cameras are de-activated.

1st observation: I've not yet seen a speed camera, particularly one in a 30/40MPH zone that you cannot see if you are 'paying fucking attention on the road ahead' maybe a 'reminder' sticker on your screen to that affect would be more affective/cheaper :D

2nd Observation: Speeding enforcement has not had a dramatic change in the last 9 months so it suggest your driving style/ ability to pay attention has changed. Thinking about that would be good but if you decide against it looking at the positive it would seem the ability of the accumulated points system to seek out and remove from the road those that need to get their shit together may actually work :D :D

3rd Observation: The Zumo has an annoying way of warning but you'd need to keep it up to date

At one time it was simple, 30mph in town. Now its up and down like a nu*s knickers 40,30,20,40,30,20, all signposted and all the locals know the speed limits but god help the newbies trying to naviagte, not speed, not go too slow, read all the road signs, not run anyone down, not have an accident, don't upset anyone with a camera on thier f*cking helmet, speed awereness my f*cking arse.

At one time it was simple, 30mph in town. Now its up and down like a nu*s knickers 40,30,20,40,30,20, all signposted and all the locals know the speed limits but god help the newbies trying to naviagte, not speed, not go too slow, read all the road signs, not run anyone down, not have an accident, don't upset anyone with a camera on thier f*cking helmet, speed awereness my f*cking arse.

Its really not that difficult but if it is...

stay in doors
don't venture beyond your area/comfort zone
go everywhere at 20 mph
definitely give up biking
...give Dignitas a ring

Back
Top Bottom