ASDA Insurance

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just used ASDA's insurance search and comparison website as my previous insurer wanted to double my premium because I lapsed the policy for 2 months, despite leaving my second bike on cover with them.....don't ask, complete twats.

Anyway I'm looking for a new insurer and have had quotes from £88 to £170
Bennett came throug at £88 and Saga at £111

For fully comp on a 2007 R1200RT, 5000 miles, value £5000. Me being 59 with IAM pass and 9 yrs protected NCB.

Bennetts policy is underwritten by Aviva and Saga by Axa......

Seems too good to be true, phone calls needn't be made to see where the catches are?

Bennetts quoted me 140 on a brand new GS with zero NCD until I added the accessories on that put the value up above 15K so that looks about right to me- I'm in Worcestershire too and the same age. You might get a hike next year though as typically they all offer a better deal to new customers.

You could try go compare too to check what Bennetts quote on there?

Saga own Bennetts. Axa & Aviva are established underwriters so not a lot to base a choice on.

In the past I would have not gone with Bennetts due to their appalling customer service reputation but I might be tempted now they have been owned by Saga for a while.

Looking at the excess figures, the Bennetts policy is much lower so with the cost being lower it seems like a no brainer.

The only thing I would do is run a quote on the Bennetts website to see if there is a price benefit - they will pay a kickback to Asda if you go via the that link. Use a different web browser so your history/cookies don't betray you. Appear like a new customer to get the best deal - I flip between Chrome & Edge...

Anyway I'm looking for a new insurer and have had quotes from £88 to £170
Bennett came throug at £88 and Saga at £111

For fully comp on a 2007 R1200RT, 5000 miles, value £5000. Me being 59 with IAM pass and 9 yrs protected NCB...........................

If you have an IAM pass then you should ring Cornmarket Insurance in NI. They will price match any valid quote for IAM, part of Adelaide Ins Group. I have been extremely pleased with their service and of course their willingness to price match. They are really nice to deal with and always have done as they have said, return calls, send out Docs etc..........

www.cornmarketinsurance.co.uk
Tel – 028 9033 2111

:thumb2

If you have an IAM pass then you should ring Cornmarket Insurance in NI. They will price match any valid quote for IAM, part of Adelaide Ins Group. I have been extremely pleased with their service and of course their willingness to price match. They are really nice to deal with and always have done as they have said, return calls, send out Docs etc..........

www.cornmarketinsurance.co.uk
Tel – 028 9033 2111

:thumb2

+1. And you can usually negotiate out/down their admin fees. They just don't like some postcodes.

Finalised the bike ins today after much tooing and frowing.

Its only when you pass through to the actual broker / underwriters sites that the gremlins set in, but I ended up working things through with Bennetts who I must say were very efficient and punctual and did contact Aviva to argue my case for bar risers - Aviva had decided not to quote because of them !!

Anyway Bennetts referrals team spoke with Aviva and its all sorted - £103 all done with total excess at £200 and 90 days European cover (Fully comp).

I'm quite happy to pay that and balls to Biketeam who wanted to more than double my premium because I there was a 2 month gap since I last insured with them, muppets - goodbye to Equity Red Star too who were Biketeam's underwriters.

Other insurance anomalies

I had a 2005 GSA and 2 classics on a Footman James Policy £180 ish all in. I have just changed the GSA for a 2014 Yamaha Super 10 and thats when the following became apparent.
The Yam is too new to go on the classic policy so I thought leave the classic running and put it on its own insurance. Quote from F/James and 2 others £400+.
On internet comparison sites I could get it as low as £97 , a result you may think. BUT when you got into the actual setting up, the classic policy had used up all my no claims and the new bike policy was just that new with no, no claims discount::eek:
The solution I used which may not be the best but seemed reasonable was to take a Carole Nash rider policy, all 3 bikes , european travel and recovery + some other add ons included for £248:thumb2

While Im at it where do they get the fees for changing vehicles on policys from . FJ charges £25 a pot. so during the lifetime of the policy I paid another £50 which is nearly a third of the original premium.

Not an issue for lots of people but if your in similar situation beware.

Regards Centurion

Back
Top Bottom