Travel Insurance

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Myself and SWMBO are off to Mexico at the end of the month and are now looking for travel insurance to cover us (both in our mid fifties with no medical conditions/claim history)

Thinking that it may be prudent to purchase an annual multi trip policy for the pair of us rather than one policy per trip

Suggestions/recommendations/advice/experiences all gratefully recieved :D

Paul

If you intend riding a bike then check the small print for engine capacity limit restrictions:rob

We have always bought annual multi trip policies as they are much better value unless you can guarantee you wont be taking a second trip. My wife used to be a travel vacc nurse so used to dealing with all this stuff and she really does advise disclosing all health related matters even if you don't think its relevant or you no longer get treatment. The last thing you want is a claim rejected or a refusal to media-vac you because you didn't mention a minor procedure from a couple of years back. And don't just rely on answering all their questions, if you hold back something any reasonable person would think was material then again it could be grounds for refusal of cover.

We went to Axa just coz we got a nice discount through my wife's employer. Adding USA significantly increases premiums so if you plan to visit USA at all make sure its included. Finally read the policy carefully, its a very important purchase so you need to know what you are getting, and more importantly what you are not.

Insure & Go have had my business now for a few years. I declared everything from a sniffle to asthma to high blood pressure and the loading was zero on top of an already reasonable premium. Always an annual policy covering winter sports too. but I couldn't tell you whether m/cycling is included or not as I've never used it for that.

I always go for annual policy. At moment I am using post office policy (was recommended by Which last year). They are reasonable and cover bike travel. I informed them of my knee replacement which I had done halfway through my policy and they didn't add anything on. Worth checking out and getting a quote. (I am 60 wife is 53 by the way).

We have always bought annual multi trip policies as they are much better value unless you can guarantee you wont be taking a second trip. My wife used to be a travel vacc nurse so used to dealing with all this stuff and she really does advise disclosing all health related matters even if you don't think its relevant or you no longer get treatment. The last thing you want is a claim rejected or a refusal to media-vac you because you didn't mention a minor procedure from a couple of years back. And don't just rely on answering all their questions, if you hold back something any reasonable person would think was material then again it could be grounds for refusal of cover.

We went to Axa just coz we got a nice discount through my wife's employer. Adding USA significantly increases premiums so if you plan to visit USA at all make sure its included. Finally read the policy carefully, its a very important purchase so you need to know what you are getting, and more importantly what you are not.

M&S (Marks & Spencer) do travel insurance, which is underwritten by AXA. They have a particularly well-written policy doc, and there are no restrictions on motorcycle use. If they meet your requirements for Mexico - then I would recommend them.

Al

Once again I have insured with https://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/ for an Easter trip - I'm not a good candidate for an annual policy due to ongoing medical stuff. This underwriter has a good online medical screening tool and I'm paying just under a tenner for a week away in the Ardennes. Policies have no exception for motorcycle riding except the usual rider must have a licence and rider/pillion must wear a helmet.

I've got an annual policy with LV, bought instead of single ski insurance though I have not had to claim. Regarding AXA from Blackal above SWMBO went a pisser a couple of years ago while skiing and broke her wrist. The insurance was booked through Crystal but underwritten by AXA and they were very good, they even suggested adding the remaining ski hire and lift pass compensation loss to the claim which was a breath of fresh air TBH.

Myself and SWMBO are off to Mexico at the end of the month and are now looking for travel insurance to cover us...

I assume that your Mexican holiday is quite expensive?

Buy your policy ASAP, starting ASAP. Why? The medical section (and many of the other sections) kicks into life the day the policy commences. If you delay the start until the day of your departure and you fell ill say tomorrow, rendering you unable to travel at the end of the month, you would very likely not be covered for obvious reasons; the most basic being that the cover has not commenced. Buying an annual policy will remove that possibility (as it will cover you for future trips) but still take care on what date you START the policy and that the policy you buy is suitable for whatever trips you intend to make. A common problem is that bods buy an annual Europe only policy, then forget. They then go out of the blue to Australia thinking they are covered, when of course they are not.

Similarly, now you have bought your policy and started it today, read the conditions for cancellation on medical grounds very carefully. If you feel unwell over the next month or do before you depart and decide not to go unilaterally, you will still need a doctor's note stating that you should not / cannot travel. In short, you cannot just decide yourself: "I'm unwell and am going to cancel, give me my money back insurer". It's a commonly made mistake.... Or a bod's genuine attempt to just change
their mind about going and expect someone to pay them for it. Travel insurers have seen it all before, trust me. If you do intend to commit fraud, at least do it carefully and properly.

As to who is best? Everyman and his dog will have his favourites. The Post Office used to be good (for me at least) until they limited the motorcycle capacity to be under 1600 cc. As I have a 1600, it becomes useless. There is a world of choice out there and no two bods are exactly the same, as Wessie's post shows. Buy what suits you and your wife best, then you'll know.

..... As I have a 1600, it becomes useless.

As ever, good advice Richard. Without looking won't your 'bike be nominally under 1600cc ie 1598cc or something like, hence under the 1600cc limit?

:beerjug:

Interesting point re: Commencement of cover and cancellation.

On single trip policies - it would be interesting to see what the cancellation-covered period was?

Al

Interesting point re: Commencement of cover and cancellation.

On single trip policies - it would be interesting to see what the cancellation-covered period was?

Al

Unless stated otherwise in the policy, it's probably best to assume that cover starts on single trip policies, from whatever date and time you agree with the insurer; for sure it will be very clearly stated in the policy.

Let's say you were looking for two weeks' cover for Spain, starting 01 March. You could (subject to the maximum duration of any one trip limit) buy the policy today to end on 15 March. That would cost you a bit (not a lot) more than just the 14 days of March, as the underwriter would also be insuring you for the months of January and February.

A very few (by no means all) policies have what they call a sunrise clause in them. Under these, cover starts automatically say two weeks before the pre-agreed contracted holiday date.

As ever, good advice Richard. Without looking won't your 'bike be nominally under 1600cc ie 1598cc or something like, hence under the 1600cc limit?

:beerjug:

As always, the devil lives in the detail, Micky.

It's actually 1649 cc. Those extra moped cc's make all the difference when hooning... And definitely to the Post Office!

Either way, I never want to be holding a protracted debate with some chimp from the Post Office (who can barely deliver a letter) over cubic capacity or why they'll quite happily insure me on a 195bhp HP4 at 998cc (or whatever) but not on my less awesome 1600, all whilst I am lying in traction in a very expensive Swiss hospital for 8 or more weeks. I will hopefully have much better things to do, like looking down the front of Nurse Heidi's starched blouse each time she tucks me in.

The rest of the Post Office policy is OK, or was last time I looked. It might suit other bods quite well... Or maybe not. I had to jump through several hoops before they coughed-up for a delay I suffered due to a breakdown of the Chunnel. My free insurance via HSBC shelled out for the same event in minutes.

Travel insurance is so cheap and easy to buy, anybody who doesn't buy good cover - or who tries to save 50p - really does need to get into the sea.

Similar to the OP Paul, we are going on a trip to the USA in October, hiring an Indian so >1600cc - I guess the key question here is what is the best policy INCLUDING MOTORCYCLE USE.

We've just taken out a NatWest Platinum account which includes annual insurance - I rang first and was told we'd be covered for our holiday. Of course when the paperwork arrived - not covered. Tossers.

May cancel; just looked at M&S for worldwide/annual - over £400! (No medical conditions, both in our 50s, added cross country/nordic skiing and yachting, nothing else). £339 for 15 day singe trip without ski etc.

Any other suggestions? Does anyone underwrite a separate policy just for when riding?

Sorry for the hijack/piggy-back!

A

Similar to the OP Paul, we are going on a trip to the USA in October, hiring an Indian so >1600cc - I guess the key question here is what is the best policy INCLUDING MOTORCYCLE USE.

We've just taken out a NatWest Platinum account which includes annual insurance - I rang first and was told we'd be covered for our holiday. Of course when the paperwork arrived - not covered. Tossers.

May cancel; just looked at M&S for worldwide/annual - over £400! (No medical conditions, both in our 50s, added cross country/nordic skiing and yachting, nothing else). £339 for 15 day singe trip without ski etc.

Any other suggestions? Does anyone underwrite a separate policy just for when riding?

Sorry for the hijack/piggy-back!

A

see my post above - I buy single trip policies due to ongoing medical stuff

Does anyone underwrite a policy that gives cover only when riding a motorcycle? Yes, you could have a bespoke policy underwritten at say Lloyd's of Luncheon. Would you like the premium? Probably not.

Just keep shopping around. There are lots of Travel insurance policies out there and lots of brokers / insurers offering them. You'll find one that suits you, I'm sure.

PS I have just Googled up what I think is the latest Nat West Platinum policy, effective from June 2015. Before I flick through it, can you point out where you read that motorcycling is excluded, please.

We're on a Platinum Policy.

See "Use of Motor Vehicles" on Page 12 -

"Use Of Motor Vehicles – Scooters, Mopeds and Motorcycles
This policy will automatically cover you on your trip for using hired motor vehicles of 125cc or less
but you must wear a crash helmet and, if you are the rider, you must hold a valid licence to drive
that vehicle type within your home area.

You will also be covered for vehicles above 125cc but only if you hold a valid licence to drive that
vehicle type within your home area, it is your mode of transport from your home area and you are
wearing suitable protective clothing.

Cover under section F Personal Liability does not apply to the use of any motor vehicle."

I have underlined the key bit - it only covers you if you are on your own bike that you left home on. So I am not covered on a hired bike.

I probably will take out a single trip insurance: the bank account policy still covers all our other holidays. Question then is, do I tell NatWest that I forego cover for the US trip or keep them in the dark in case I claim for non-motorcycling reasons (e.g. it gives me cancellation cover from now to October that a single trip policy would not)?

Thanks for your help - do you bill by the hour?

OK, thanks. Let's see what we can do.....

The Liabilty section exclusion is nothing to worry about, as you'll be buying suitable US Motor insurance when you are there.

As regards the 'Primary Travel method' stipulation. Call Nat West and explain to them that travelling to America via a motorcycle (or any other road going vehicle) is not practicable and would - definitely - result in a claim. Go on to explain that you'll be flying, which is the safest form of travel yet invented, so underwriters' exposure will be reduced, not increased. Chances are they will agree with you and all will be well. It worked for me with HSBC whose policy is very similar.

As regards the 'Hired bike'. Again, explain your circumstances to them. You might get lucky and it's always free to ask.

There is no restriction on buying multiple Travel insurances, though their benefits for say the Medical expenses sections will be aggregated at pro-rata. For example, if your hospital stay costs USD 10,000 and you had two policies of equal size, each would pay you USD 5,000. Your life and physical bodily injury you can insure as often as you like, both policies would respond in full.

By the hour fee for consultancy? Easy to answer. £750.

A

I use Holiday Safe via Overland http://overlandmag.com/insurance/

I have a multi trip policy with them and they cover everything I need at a sensible price.

Whether is works for rental I don't know but I've called them before and they are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom