K16

I am on my second GT.

The first bike had the 'egg beater' effect from the gearbox / drive that was common to the first edition of the bike. The bike would also clunk sometimes. I can't say it overly bothered me over thousands of miles.

My first bike had the usual water pump leak (early models) and the radiator cap replaced (several BMW bikes) along with new nearside switch gear (several bikes in the BMW range) but not the failure of the starter button switch. The bike always pulled to the left and overheated due to accumulation of muck in the area of the radiator's lower third. It drank a bit of oil; some of the early bikes did, some didn't.

What he said

My new bike has none of these issues, though I am sure it will overheat eventually if I don't keep the radiator clear. None of the problems put me off buying the second bike at all, nor did they ever put me off riding the first bike. What else? My latest bike has the keyless ignition, which works very well with the central locking. It also has the hill start, something I thought might be just a gimmick but I now find really useful, used like a car's handbrake.

The rest is probably well known: Great power, fantastic handling along all sorts of roads from motorways, to twisties, around hairpins, down small gnarly country lanes, in busy traffic. Good luggage. All day long comfort. Tidy ergonomics. Plenty of weight at 320 kg. Buy and above all use with confidence.

PS I have never seen 50 mpg.

What he said :thumb I am on my third GTSE and I love 'em. The latest iteration of the gearbox is nice and smooth, how it should have been from the outset. Go for it

Besides its slightly more American 'Bling tourer' styling and a bit of an alteration to the ergonomics of the bike, I can't see that your wife would be that much more comfortable on the GTLE over the GT. If, it's the bike you want - and your wife really a bit of a secondary consideration - buy the GT.

As a rider I agree with you but from the pillions perspective there are subtle changes on the GTL that might sooth the nerves of a worried pillion. Arm rests for a start, plus I think the rear pad is larger and more cosseting (and heated??). Also aren't the different ergonomics tailored towards the pillion? The more car like you make the rear cabin the more likely it is she'll go on it!!

On my GTL Mrs C has got control of her own heated seat, likes to be able to listen to my tunes from the speakers at normal speeds (we bop along in tune) and she actually fell asleep once cosseted in the top box padding!

As a rider I agree with you ....... The more car like you make the rear cabin the more likely it is she'll go on it!!

OK, I'll accept that. But, then you'd might as well buy a Goldwing and go the whole hog.

I'm really not convinced the OP wants the GTLE over the GT.... or that his wife will fall in love with biking anyway, irrespective.

That's kind of the point though Richard. Sarah is the main consideration in the potential purchase of the K16 GTLE, but again I take on board what you're saying about the GT. :thumb2

Should I take into account the fact that one has had the gearbox changed & the other hasn't? Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or entirely irrelevant?

I can well understand that you want to include Sarah in your travels and why. I still think the best route is to try one for a week if possible. The GTLE is a lot of cash for a lot (as in lots of extra bulk 'stuff') of bike. If she doesn't get on with the whole 'biking' thing you'd be stuck with a bike you probably didn't really want.... and still be in an extra year at work! That will create you a problem which you'll then possibly pass on to Sarah, which is not a road to happiness.

I think, so do check, that a lot of the pillion comfort bits just bolt onto a standard GT chassis. The rear heated seat is standard to all the bikes in the 1600 range. Maybe you could find a decent 1600 GT and source the extra bits, perhaps? That way, if it doesn't pan out you could just take them off and sell them off separately. I think that most of us could live without the GTLE's ground lights.... Or if I were your wife I'd be too embarrassed to be seen on the thing anyway.

I am not aware of a lot of gearboxes being changed on the 1600, so I guess it would be more interesting to find out why it was changed. Had you not seen the bike with the exchanged gearbox, I guess you would have been happy with the other bike, so why worry? Buy the bike that hasn't been touched, I guess is what I am saying. Here's a link to the mostly American K1600 forum's 'Problem page'....

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...rs-thread-problems-lets-hear-about-yours.html

Draw your own conclusions and work out where to carry your gun!

Depending on how accommodating the dealership is they will let you try the bike with a pillion for the whole day if necessary. For a novice pillion it is good to give her some pointers. They might be stiff and uncomfortable sitting so exposed so just reinforce that she should be relaxed and flow with the bike. Ride it nice and smooth. Audio comms with the pillion helps as you can let them know what is going to happen and the chatting will set her at ease instead of being with her own thoughts. Stop after a short while so she can relax and make adjustments. Tell her what to look out for and ask her how she feels and what worries her. Doing it in a way where she is the centrepiece and about making it enjoyable for her can swing it for you. A top box on a K16 is a necessity for a pillion. Open the taps on that and you'll loose some ballast if not for the top box. It also helps with the aerodynamics at speed, stops a bit of that swirling behind you pushing you forward.

My missus was introduced to biking on the back of a R1100S. Fast forward a few years and she was on the back of a GSA to approve of the seat. It got the thumbs up. The new GSA doesn't have the same space as the Hexhead GSA but she likes the seat. The wind protection is not as good on the LC as the Hexhead. She just detests it if I start taking the corners a bit more enthusiastically. She liked the K16GT, not so much the LC RT because she says her legs would come up if we accelerate to quickly and the handles for the pillion is not as good as the GSA. Keep it mind for the 2nd honeymoon :D. Top box would sort that.

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but it is my experience. The missus is not like a farmyard dog, if the pickup moves its got to be on the back of it. She is a casual pillion and we tour together on it.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and suggestions.
I think Steve has nailed it really with his comparison to making the pillion area as close to a car cabin as possible.
I have ridden a GT and would worry slightly about my licence, the GTLE that I tried a few months ago seemed seemed to induce a more languid riding style.
I also think that the GTLE is just about far enough removed from the GSA for me to try to justify having both in the garage whereas I'm not sure I can say the same of the GT.
Plenty of food for thought; once again thank you all for your input.

As I recall, Ride magazine did a pillion test on various bikes, and the RT came out best. May be worth trying both, one after the other just to be sure. My other half liked the K16 GT's pillion seat. But then we never tried a RT.

Good luck.

GTL wins every time I am on my second GTLE, for anyone that thinks an RT is the same as a K1600, you obviously haven't rode a K1600 for any distance, the GTLE is a fair bit lower than the GT, and yes it is a touring bike, set of arm rests on the sides and the heated seat and back rest, no comparison according to my Daughter, who rides with me all the time.

The wife can fall asleep and you wont even know she's there.

As for the acceleration of the K16 straight six, road presence and handling over an RT no comparison.

I changed from a GSLC and have not looked back. Bought the GTLE then changed to a GTLE exclusive, gearbox on both is agricultural at low speed but that is completely normal an you learn to ignore it (pretty much like the LC except doesn't miss gears like my LC did).

So I'd have to say that touring on a K16 is much better than the RT from my experience, and don't get me wrong the RT is a cracking Bike, but I find the Uber Tourer a much better bike. Quicker Smoother and Shed loads more road presence.

One down side, storage, looks like there's a lot of on a K16, but compared to an aluminium box on a GS doesn't come close.

But on that point never seen a GS with a light in the Back Box:p

Thanx again for your input chaps.

I spent last Saturday looking at various K16's. I've decided the GTLE is the better option for our requirements & there are certainly plenty out there of varying ages & mileages as you would expect. They're all in excellent condition which is no surprise given their initial price, you are going to look after something that's cost you up to £18,000 aren't you?
£9,000 - £10,000 will get me a 2011 example varying from 15,000 - 21,000 miles from a variety of BMW dealers.

I spoke with my insurance broker yesterday & was slightly surprised to find that my insurer, Aviva, won't add the K16 to my existing policy unless she has a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser on her; none of the bikes I've looked at have that option so today's spare time will be spent ringing round alternative insurers or finding out whether it's possible to fit such a thing to a K16 & if so what the cost is.

Progress appears to be being made, albeit at a somewhat sedentary pace (much like my riding).

new owner

just put deposit on a k1600 gt se 2012 after much internet research decided its the way to go insurance very little difference to my r1200gs really looking forward to it

Bill, had a first ride on my GT today, wow what a machine�� Got the insurance sorted out yesterday, finally. I used Principle, but was insistent that the Insurer was Ageas, as they will issue a Green Card. John

Pillion troubles

17 yrs ago my ex was an occasional but unhappy pillion perched on the back of my beautiful K1. So I sold it and bought a Honda Valkyrie with a sissy bar/pad etc so she would feel safer and more secure on it, especially as it would be ridden at a more sedate pace. She didn't like it as the suspension travel was limited and she used to say that she felt every bump and pothole crash through the pillion seat .

So I sold the Valkyrie and bought my first GS a 2002 1150 and fitted a Givi box with backrest etc. She seemed happier so I booked our first foreign trip , 5 days away in Northern France, a doddle as we lived in Ruislip . After 3 days we came back early as she felt 'unwell' but seemed to make a remarkable recovery once we landed back on British soil . I never bothered to take her on the back again after that.:(

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you both enjoy the K16..... One hell of a machine whichever model you buy :thumb2

just put deposit on a k1600 gt se 2012 after much internet research decided its the way to go insurance very little difference to my r1200gs really looking forward to it

Nice one. Good luck and fair play to you. Keep us posted.

Bill, had a first ride on my GT today, wow what a machine�� Got the insurance sorted out yesterday, finally. I used Principle, but was insistent that the Insurer was Ageas, as they will issue a Green Card. John

Cheers John, I'll give them a try. Best quote for my 3 bikes so far is over £500 which makes it prohibitively expensive.

17 yrs ago my ex was an occasional but unhappy pillion perched on the back of my beautiful K1. So I sold it and bought a Honda Valkyrie with a sissy bar/pad etc so she would feel safer and more secure on it, especially as it would be ridden at a more sedate pace. She didn't like it as the suspension travel was limited and she used to say that she felt every bump and pothole crash through the pillion seat .

So I sold the Valkyrie and bought my first GS a 2002 1150 and fitted a Givi box with backrest etc. She seemed happier so I booked our first foreign trip , 5 days away in Northern France, a doddle as we lived in Ruislip . After 3 days we came back early as she felt 'unwell' but seemed to make a remarkable recovery once we landed back on British soil . I never bothered to take her on the back again after that.:(

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you both enjoy the K16..... One hell of a machine whichever model you buy :thumb2

Hmm, I hear what you're saying. TBH this, should it happen, is pretty much my last attempt at trying to make it work for us.

Mate of mine had a succession of GS's .... the last one being a single cam 1200.... He wanted to get his mrs involved more....and she said, if you get one of those I'll go on it , it looks nice ....'Those' being a 1300 Pan European..... So he sold the GS , bought one ,and she never went near it.... once he got it she said, 'I prefer the car' :blast So now he has a 650 V Strom and goes on trips solo .

Edit : She is a bit of a one off though :augie

Mate of mine had a succession of GS's .... the last one being a single cam 1200.... He wanted to get his mrs involved more....and she said, if you get one of those I'll go on it , it looks nice ....'Those' being a 1300 Pan European..... So he sold the GS , bought one ,and she never went near it.... once he got it she said, 'I prefer the car' :blast So now he has a 650 V Strom and goes on trips solo .

Edit : She is a bit of a one off though :augie

Bryn,
Lets look at it another way.... would you rather ride pillion or travel in a nice car?

I don't blame my Mrs from preferring the car, I know that I'm not keen on riding pillion.:cool:

Bryn,
Lets look at it another way.... would you rather ride pillion or travel in a nice car?

I don't blame my Mrs from preferring the car, I know that I'm not keen on riding pillion.:cool:

I know what you mean....still happy personally that Lyn is happy to hop on the back occasionally despite being more content on four wheels :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom