GS 800 Front brake lever pulsating

onion

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 GS800. Intermittently, when I pull the front brake the brake lever pulsates as if the ABS is coming on for no reason.

Any ideas?

Onion

It could be the ABS coming on for no reason!

;)

Wow, I never would have thought of warped discs. Is that likely, as there's only 24000 miles on the bike?

Have you recently had a front tyre fitted by a heavy handed tyre fitter?
Alan R

Dont shoot the messenger as Im not too sure of the truth, a garage mechanic once told me, dont know how true it is. But very hot discs that cool down quickly in cold weather can warp slightly as the brake pad keeps part of it hot so it cools at a different rate?

This was after a 3 month old set of discs warped, they replaced them FOC without any isues BTW

Sounds familiar, mine did it with flat discs, just the same after fitting aftermarket discs for upgrade. Commonly occurs shortly after start up or after hitting speed bumps or similar at too many mph. Never occurred at a inconvenient unexpected moment thankfully, yet. 2010 gs8.

In the end it was air in the brake fluid. I got the brake fluid changed and the problem went away. It turns out that for any ABS fitted machine, changing the brake fluid regularly is necessary. I know it's in the maintenance schedule, but I never changed brake fluid on any machine before.

Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 GS800. Intermittently, when I pull the front brake the brake lever pulsates as if the ABS is coming on for no reason.

Any ideas?

Onion

If it was a warped disc it would always pulsate

If it was a warped disc it would always pulsate

No, only when the pad was in contact with the disc. With a slight warp, some lever pressure would be required. I'd check the disc first as it's easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom