3-Layer vs Direct Laminate Waterproof Gear?

Just buy Rukka and stop fcuking about :rolleyes:

Or Halvarssons, or Klim, or whatever your favourite £600 jacket is. All well and good unless that price is double or even triple what you're able / willing to pay.

I'm more looking for comment / opinion on jacket construction: 3-layer fabric vs 3-layer (3-garment) format, rather than what folk's favourite brands are.

Halvarssons.

I have the suit with the "c-change" membrane and some sort of PTFE coating on the outside, it's brilliant in the cold and wet (the water doesn't soak into it, it beads off) I haven't ridden in the summer with it yet and I'm a bit worried about that, as it has no vents but the "c-change" is supposed to be very breathable.
Only time will tell.

I've got a Halvarsons Prime, first textile jacket I've ever had. Waterproof layer is not removable.....not sure if it's laminated or not, I think it is. Thermal layer is removable, but as that also has the Outlast temperature regulating liner removing it makes the jacket rather uncomfortable to wear. So, even in warm weather I kept the thermal layer in and TBH it does a pretty good job of keeping you cool(ish). It's not over endowed with vents.....one on the back and one on each arm...in warm weather I found I needed to pull the main zip down 6 inches or so, this lets cool air into the main body of the jacket. This jacket rally need a couple more vents to the body. Outer pockets are not waterproof.
I the cold or heavy rain I also put a Gortex Army surplus cameo jacket over the top. For warmth all I need then is a single base layer and I'm toasty warm. In the rain it also stops the outer shell getting waterlogged.
I bought it hoping it would be the only jacket I needed for all year use. It's not worked out that way but then perhaps that's expecting a bit too much, don't know. Overall though I'm pretty happy with it, it's well made and feels as if it would provide some protection if the worse happens. It's totally waterproof on its own even though it gets waterlogged.....in the warmer weather this is no problem other than drying it out afterwards.
Better ventilation and waterproof outer pockets would make a good jacket great.

Or Halvarssons, or Klim, or whatever your favourite £600 jacket is. All well and good unless that price is double or even triple what you're able / willing to pay.

I'm more looking for comment / opinion on jacket construction: 3-layer fabric vs 3-layer (3-garment) format, rather than what folk's favourite brands are.

Apologies Mark ..... I must have missed the bit were you said 'must be less than £200' :confused:

Which, before I got side tracked and confused was what I did in my first post :thumb

Andres

PS I did also warn you..................... ;)

To the OP .... (weird user name that I can't remember .. !!)

Like hippie boy I've had the BMW rally suit suit and have now moved on to a klim jacket (Traverse not badlands .. more on this later .. ).

The lined BM suit was good, completely waterproof, but when it got very wet, it weighed an extra 3 KGs or so, and also had the disadvantage of creating the refrigerator effect and made you very cold.

I remember this day;

The jacket had virtually doubled in weight and I was absolutely freezing - poured with rain all day ... Whilst I remember thinking, great jacket at being waterproof, It took days to dry out. This was the first day of a two day event and putting it on the next day ..... Yuk!!! Horrible! I remember my trousers getting so heavy, that they were pulling down at my waist.

The Klim lattitude jacket is just a shell, it's the bonded goretex stuff so water just beads off it and it can't soak in. I particularly like this jacket over the badlands, because I get to choose what I wear underneath. In the summer I may wear just a T-shirt (probably not ideal protection because the jacket is now quite loose fitting and I guess if i binned it there's a good chance that elbow, shoulder pads etc might not sit quite where they should). In the winter I can fit base layers, heated Keiss jackets etc underneath it. Spring / Autumn i can mix and match what I want.

Having tried both systems, for me my Klim beats the BM Rally jacket hands down for body heat control, not soaking up water and flexibility of what to wear underneath.

:thumb2

To the OP .... (weird user name that I can't remember .. !!)

I take it you've never read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.....? :nenau

Much ado about nothing really - how unlike this place. :rolleyes: If you want to stay warm and dry for extended periods, buy Gore-Tex Pro Shell. Note that this is, at best, a three season choice and you'd do well to have some vented kit for the warmer months, even in Britain or soggy old Eire. With respect to the comment about crash damage rendering garments no longer waterproof, most Pro Shell garments are constructed with Armacor in the vulnerable crash zones.

If you don't have the budget to buy new Pro Shell kit, it's possible to get some very good deals on eBay or perhaps even Gumtree or Donedeal.

HTH

What he said.
Got mine from Bikerland.de and saved about £400 on UK prices

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Me too. The advantages of the laminate construction is that the fabric doesn't get as wet as the outer layer doesn't get soaked like typical z liner jackets and it also dries out quicker which is useful if you're touring. Downside they cost more, but ho hum you get what you pay for.

[/URL]

The jacket had virtually doubled in weight and I was absolutely freezing - poured with rain all day ... Whilst I remember thinking, great jacket at being waterproof, It took days to dry out. This was the first day of a two day event and putting it on the next day ..... Yuk!!! Horrible! I remember my trousers getting so heavy, that they were pulling down at my waist.
[/QUOTE]

Given thats how they work ( crap isn't it ?) Why on earth do i see so many GS riders with this suit?

[/URL]

Given thats how they work ( crap isn't it ?) Why on earth do i see so many GS riders with this suit?

Because most GS riders are fashion followers ..... !! (Tour x lid, BM suit, fog lights on, ally panniers with fire extinguisher .... etc etc :D )

Because most GS riders are fashion followers ..... !! (Tour x lid, BM suit, fog lights on, ally panniers with fire extinguisher .... etc etc :D )

Damn........I still have a load of gear to buy!!!

After a number of jackets with removable waterproof liners I bought a bonded / laminated / whateveryacallit Rukka. Well worth the money - it doesn't 'wet out' cos the rain runs off it & it doesn't suck the heat outta me.

Mark, where in Dublin are you ? I'm in Rathfarnham every day & could bring both types up some day for you to have a look at.

Back
Top Bottom