3-Layer vs Direct Laminate Waterproof Gear?

Have a look at Stadler. Unfortunately no UK dealer but easily available mail order. I used Bikerland.de in one of the sales. Excellent advice, service and swift delivery. Stadler make the Touratech clothing range. I would put it level with Rukka gear ( I have an Armas suit ). I had a zip go on one the front vent panels. Sent back and had it repaired and returned within a week with postage refunded. Rukka have only just discovered venting but the Stadler has zip down chest panel vents, under arm zips and an internal ventilation system called Airpipe. Trousers are also vented. All I can say is it works.

Last November I got soaked on the bike. I was so wet that the rain got inside my rain jacket and trousers and I had to stand up to let the pool under my arse run down my legs. I decided it was time to invest in Goretex gear.

In February, I bought a Klim Badlands jacket and trousers and Klim Element Long gloves. Every time it rained, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a "proper shower" to test the gear. It was only when I was riding with a friend and when we stopped he said "I thought that last shower would never stop" that I realised that they were proper showers, I just didn't notice it because of the gear.

In cold weather, I wear a Dainese "No Wind Layer" fleece, Cold Killers glove liners and socks and that keeps me comfortable. There's loads of vents on the Klim Badlands gear. Remember that fine weather we had in May? I wore the Goretex gear riding around in that and I was plenty cool. The only problem was my hands. The Element Long glove was way too hot and my hands were boiling in them. I've just ordered a pair of mesh gloves for hot weather riding and I think that will make the Goretex gear almost versatile enough for riding in all weather. While Goretex-Pro gear is expensive, I think it probably works out cheaper than having two or three sets of gear for different weather.

I do have Richa mesh gear for very hot weather. I'm going to Morocco next month and was in two minds which gear to bring, but as it gets very cool in the evening, I think the Goretex, with both pairs of gloves will be perfect.

I completely agree with your opinion about having a waterproof layer inside. My Richa mesh pants has a removable waterproof liner. What am I supposed to do if it starts raining? Pull my pants off on the side of the road and fit the liner?

You mentioned having a simple rain jacket to wear over your gear. My mesh jacket came with a waterproof over-jacket, which packs away in a pouch on the back. It does keep you dry in a shower, but it doesn't breathe. Even in cold weather, you sweat more than you'd think so you end up a little damp inside the jacket if you wear it for a while, which then makes you feel cold and damp.

I know you've already bought the D-Stormer - just sharing my thoughts. :)

With so much choice out there, I think you may never be certain you've got the "right" or "best" set-up. A weakness in what you've chosen may prompt doubts that you should have chosen the other option.

But I imagine there are few shite choices these days. D-Stormer may or may not prove to be as versatile as I hope, but it's a start and I suspect it'll do what it's supposed to. Not the end of the world if I have to re-think my... ehh... thinking...

Back
Top Bottom