PC for Basecamp use...advise pls.

(RIP) trickytree

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I use a iPhone and iPad for all my web based stuff, I don't do 'proper' computer/PC work but now I've bought a Zumo I need a PC for Basecamp. Got a (8 year) old Acer desktop in the spare room but the tower is dead and it's only running vista.
Been looking around and found THIS on the bay.
Could I just plug this into my existing monitor and keyboard? The disk drive would be handy as our (dongle) wifi is a bit temperamental so if I buy any maps I would get them on disk....feel a bit safer that way. There's no wifi on the tower but apart from upgrading maps etc I presume I won't need to be connected to the web.....is that right?....I presume I could just plug the dongle in if I need Internet connection?

I have looked at new laptops but there all more than I want to spend on something that's only going to get used for route planning.

Ta.

I've never used Apple stuff (prefer Windows), so not sure about how they connect.. but have just bought my self an Acer, and all my plug in stuff works fine, I did have to get an adapter/lead for the monitor, as it didn't have an HDMI plug. (the monitor).

that pc would do the trick no problem,i would advise against wireless for downloading garmin updates, always use wired if possible. and get yourself a external hard drive 128gb hard drve will soon fill up, unless you only use it for garmin. why would you buy the discs ? you should just buy LM (lifetime maps) only pay the once and download when the updates are released.

Search for Kangaroo PC. Size of a smartphone, battery powered, runs Windows 10 and can use your iPad as a screen ........ less than $100

If you intend to run BaseCamp, the perceived wisdom is that it runs better on a Mac than on a PC.

I'm no IT wizard but I can only say how happy I am now that I've made the switch to a Mac and how well BaseCamp runs on it.

Another option would be a 2nd hand laptop, then there's no messing about connecting monitors/dongles/HDDs etc. You can pick up a good quality Dell, Toshiba, HP or similar for £30-40. Ideally it should be running Windows 7 although XP is OK for the current version of Basecamp. WiFi is likely to be built in, and a hard disc of 80+GB should be fine if you only plan on running Basecamp. If you get an older laptop running Win 7 don't bother updating to Win 10 as you won't get any useful benefit and are likely to run into gremlins.

For travelling I've got little Dell 12" netbook with an Atom processor and Win XP which is at least 6 years old. I carry it on long trips for route planning and it works fine with Basecamp - it's just a bit slow getting the program started. It cost £200 new so you should find a 2nd hand one with a better spec. for a fraction of that now.

Although there's still a version of BaseCamp for Windows XP, Garmin Express, which is their current way of installing new maps, needs Vista or later. I'd also suggest that the disc drive of any laptop so old that it comes with Vista will be very close to the end of its life.

Well, got sorted in the end....that tower I linked to had gone by the time I plucked up any enthusiasm for hitting the buy it now button. Soooo, I resorted to a combination of sulking, stomping my feet and a fair dose of huffing....took quite a while before Mrs.tree got fed up, asked what spec I needed and came home yesterday with a secondhand laptop with Windows 7. Downloaded Basecamp this evening and it works a treat.
Won't be long now before I'm heading towards missing bridges or dirt tracks leading to shotgun wielding angry farmers.

Back
Top Bottom