North Coast 500 Ride, May 2016

Grim Rider

Reaction score
Details for proposed ride; get up to Inverness to meet up on evening of Saturday 28th May and set off to ride the NC500 on the Sunday morning. There is no compulsion to ride together, go the same way round or complete it in one day. For a certificate. For the ride just need to photograph six specific locations and send me the photos by the end of the following week.

I have booked the Jury's Inn in Inverness for the Saturday and Sunday nights - single room is £100 for the two nights, pay on arrival and can be cancelled up to day before. If interested may be worth booking anyway as bank holiday weekend likely to get booked up soon. :beerjug:

Did it in Sept last year, really enjoyable, but as it took me a day to get to inverness I took two days to get around the NC500, stopping mid-point on the route. Not sure after doing nearly 500 miles there and back I would want to do it in one day.

Will do it again this year, but will take 2 days to do the loop, with a day to get up there and a day to get back.

Either way, fab roads :).

RBW.

Don't suppose you could enclose a .gpx route for us to download??

Ta Dave

Ta Dave

It's the coast, not a whole heap of roads - you'll not get lost. :rob

263F5EB400000578-2975434-The_coastal_NC500_route_has_been_created_to_showcase_what_the_fa-a-12_1425313283966.jpg

Not sure why the thread is in the East Midlands section, though............................ :confused:

Just noticed Blackal your up on the Scottish borders I'm down in Alnwick always looking for people to get out with.

Not sure why the thread is in the East Midlands section, though............................ :confused:

I'd be unsure of taking navigational advice from you my friend - this is the West Midlands section :D it is here because a group of us from the West Midlands have been talking about doing the ride in May.

GR are you planning on completing the full route in one day, ie do you plan to stay in Inverness on the Sat, do the full 500 miles and stay at the same hotel on the Sun, I'd like to give the route a try but I'd be wanting to take a bit longer in order to stop and take in some of the sights, I'd be up for staying on the Sat is it £50 for the one night...

WB - that is my plan but it is entirely up to others what they do after the start. If you want to take several days over it and stop along the way, that is great tool we just thought it would be good to meet up before we set off. I think the hotel was £45 a night for the night if you book it now, £50 if you pay on the day with the option to cancel up to the day before.

Ta Dave

Shall put one together this weekend and post - as Blackal says it is not particularly difficult; if going clockwise keep turning right, counterclockwise turn left :)

For those going weekend after next - have checked websites and phoned a few places:

PETROL STATIONS OPEN ON A SUNDAY
Lochcarron 24 hrs
Applecross 24hrs
Kinlochewe 9-5
Scourie 24 hrs (card at pump)
Durness 5.30-10
Wick Tesco 8-8; Gulf 8-9
Tain Asda 7-11
Dingwall Tesco 8-10
Inverness Tesco Extra 24hrs

Well done to all six who completed the ride together yesterday, a damn good day blessed with fine weather; we shall look forward to regaling you all with the tale next week :bounce1

Thanks for the link to the video, enjoyed that!

Heading to do the NC500 myself in July with my dad, did you use the satnav file that you can download off of the NC website or is that one you made yourself?

Thanks :) I think I just put Inverness - Applecross - Kinlochewe - Gairloch - Ullapool - Clashnessie - Unapool - Scourie - Durness - John o Groats - Inverness into Autoroute to make a gpx file I sent to my satnav. Great route - roads likely to be a lot busier with camper vans and cyclists in July but hope you have great time!

Ok great thanks, I've used google maps to make a route up to fort William and converted it to a gpx file, handy site that too, and downloaded the NC500 file off of their site then

Cheers

Sent via TapaTalk

Back
Top Bottom