R1200R - Great Bike.

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had my GSA in for some work on Thursday. got an R1200 R for 24 hours. I dont know why, but i never thought the GS engine would work in a sporty road bike, as to me its a barking tractor type lump. Boy was i wrong!! The torque felt amazing and the bike felt super quick. Much quicker than my GSA. I couldn't believe it was the same engine! Once i got used to having resistance turning the bike into corners, the handling was fantastic, cornering felt planted and it was super comfy. Im not too keen on the front end, but the overall design was quite striking with the red frame and white bodywork. All in all, I'm really impressed with it and glad i got to have a go on it, as i wouldn't have elected to take one out on a test ride.

It did remind me how glad i am to have all the weather and wind protection on my GSA and my days of commuting on a naked bike are over, but for a comfy but sporty thrash about bike, with touring potential, its was ace!

I rode the same when my 06 GSA went in for a service last year and to be honest it was a very close thing between buying a base spec R1200 R and keeping my 06 or selling my 06 and buying a new LC GSA

In the end I kept the 06 and bought a used LC GSA just because I'm a greedy bastard who believes you can't have too many GSA's

Crackin fun to ride. Plus it makes a little bit more bhp than the gs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0228c8544feebe6f2f81adf1dba90c57.jpg
7e41cda8c68acc26c0c7616dc0f9789d.jpg

Add a decent sports screen to turn it into a great sports tourer it's a fun bike,,
And agreed you gotta have a GS in the shed too (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my GSA in for some work on Thursday. got an R1200 R for 24 hours. I dont know why, but i never thought the GS engine would work in a sporty road bike, as to me its a barking tractor type lump. Boy was i wrong!! The torque felt amazing and the bike felt super quick. Much quicker than my GSA. I couldn't believe it was the same engine! Once i got used to having resistance turning the bike into corners, the handling was fantastic, cornering felt planted and it was super comfy. Im not too keen on the front end, but the overall design was quite striking with the red frame and white bodywork. All in all, I'm really impressed with it and glad i got to have a go on it, as i wouldn't have elected to take one out on a test ride.

It did remind me how glad i am to have all the weather and wind protection on my GSA and my days of commuting on a naked bike are over, but for a comfy but sporty thrash about bike, with touring potential, its was ace!

I've got the older model (2012) and really love it. Not ready for changing my bike yet (££££'s of luggage and accessories on it).

But this is an obvious improvement, and I keep looking at them but to scared to have a test ride incase I get hooked.:D

Anyone ridden one of these and a S1000R?

Yes Ive ridden both,
the S1000R is a fantatsic bike, sharp handling and its got the awesome 4pot engine...

but it lack character and in my humble opinion,,its Fugly.. not that the R1200R is that much better but its better enough for me :thumb

if you hanker for a sports bike but want more comfort S1000R is pretty good...:thumb2

Yes Ive ridden both,
the S1000R is a fantatsic bike, sharp handling and its got the awesome 4pot engine...

but it lack character and in my humble opinion,,its Fugly.. not that the R1200R is that much better but its better enough for me :thumb

if you hanker for a sports bike but want more comfort S1000R is pretty good...:thumb2

Actually I have a S1000R :) What is the comfort and suspension like compared to the S1000R?

0228c8544feebe6f2f81adf1dba90c57.jpg
7e41cda8c68acc26c0c7616dc0f9789d.jpg

Add a decent sports screen to turn it into a great sports tourer it's a fun bike,,
And agreed you gotta have a GS in the shed too (

Great choice of bikes you have, I can only afford one! lol.
Could you please tell me what is the screen you have on the R1200r and is it any good?

cheers
Tony

Hi Tony, the screen is an MRA sports bar mounted screen it's multi adjustable and it dies a really good job, far better than standard screen I've set it quite low as I like the wind direct to helmet when cruising as it offers very little turbulence noise and at speed 85 + I just tuck down a bit more into a crouch and it's good for 100+ comfort .. But upright it offers more protection but a little more noise

Hi freedaroony
The two bikes are vey different the S1000R is taught and former more like a sports bike and it sits higher the R1200R is lower and more compliant over the rougher roads added to a more relaxed seating position gives a much more cosseted feel

Hi Tony, the screen is an MRA sports bar mounted screen it's multi adjustable and it dies a really good job, far better than standard screen I've set it quite low as I like the wind direct to helmet when cruising as it offers very little turbulence noise and at speed 85 + I just tuck down a bit more into a crouch and it's good for 100+ comfort .. But upright it offers more protection but a little more noise

Thanks very much for the info, it's appreciated.

Cheers
Tony

Hi freedaroony
The two bikes are vey different the S1000R is taught and former more like a sports bike and it sits higher the R1200R is lower and more compliant over the rougher roads added to a more relaxed seating position gives a much more cosseted feel

Cheers mate, Thanks kind of what I was thinking it might be like. I love the boxer engine in my GS and figured the R must be great to ride.

Cheers mate, Thanks kind of what I was thinking it might be like. I love the boxer engine in my GS and figured the R must be great to ride.
Hi Fredaroony,

You should try and get a go on the R1200r, I was surprised how different it was to my pre conceived idea, I absolutely love it. Cheers
Tony

Back
Top Bottom