Booster plug review

I have the "accelerator module" from Sol2be fitted...... it definitely cleaned up slow speed manoeuvrability, pulling away and coming to a stop.

Sent using a Jedi mind trick!

Is your bike a TC ?
Ive been looking at this as well

You do know the bikes' computer is a "Learning" item?

Some plugs are "learnt" and compensated for. Sorry for the bad news. Your bike will initially feel great then revert back to normal.

I don't understand. If its ambient temperature sensor is being fooled into thinking its 20" c colder than it actually is. How can it learn otherwise unless the bike has more than one temperature sensor?

From what I understand, the ECU learns to compensate for the Booster Plug by reading the O2 sensor.
And over time, it tells the ECU that there's too much fuel being supplied and gradually alters to compensate.
To regain the effectiveness of the Booster Plug, the ECU needs to be reset every now and again. For that, you need a GS911. So I'm told by a man who knows. Hi, Roger RT04.
This is why it seems the best way to 'fool' the ECU, is to alter the signal from the O2 sensors. This way you get the benefits of clever technology that can alter fuelling to allow for temperature change and wear along with other factors, but still provides a bit more fuel during the closed loop. Where, if we are being totally honest, we spend most of our time.
From what I understand, the ECU also learns to compensate the fuelling in the open loop also over time.
I've decided to go the way of the AF-XIED and removed my PCV and Autotune this afternoon with a view to putting them on eBay.

Mistacat has explained the merits of lambda shifting pretty well and comberjohn seems to understand it too.

I've got two or three long threads where I've documented the research on lambda shifting so I won't try to summarize anything here. However there were some questions earlier in the thread about how the voltages coming from the O2 sensor are modified.

The simple answer is that the voltages going into and coming out of the AF-XIED look exactly the same. The difference is in the timing of the transitions from higher voltages to lower voltages. So if you could look with an analyzer the output waveform would be shifted in time.

Think of an O2 sensor as an "oxygen thermostat". If you set it "higher" the BMSK output gets richer. The AF-XIED or LC-2 are devices that let you set the "thermostat" where you want it.

Is your bike a TC ?
Ive been looking at this as well
Nope, it's a 2007 single cam. It's on the bike for about 6 or 7000kms. The "stuttering" hasn't learned it's way back...... yet.

My ECU must just be stupid!!

I contacted Nightrider about shipping to the UK. They reckoned about $35 and to put UK in at the checkout. Tried this and it kept reverting back to US. I would expect there would be custom charges, is it VAT they charge on goods coming in or does anyone know if there is a seperate import rate? A European supplier would be useful!

Ive used the Sol one on my 2008 Hexhead for 3000 miles and its a big improvement on the stuttering I had before installation, the temp gauge reads a bar lower constantly so I guess mine is a stupid ecu that cannot learn.

Couldn't you just get normal pannier racks for supporting the soft luggage?
Will be a lot easier to come by, come to think of it, don't Givi do soft luggage supports for the dl - they do for other bikes.

Who sell these booster plugs might try
One

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

I contacted Nightrider about shipping to the UK. They reckoned about $35 and to put UK in at the checkout. Tried this and it kept reverting back to US. I would expect there would be custom charges, is it VAT they charge on goods coming in or does anyone know if there is a seperate import rate? A European supplier would be useful!

If you email Mike at Beemerboneyard he will probably be able to answer your questions. He is an authorzed distributor for Nightrider.

If you go to Beemerboneyard and go through to the checkout they will calculate the cost including shipping to the UK.
Regarding vat or import duty, you're on your own.
From what I've read, some are caught for £40 and some slip through the net. I've bought a few things from the States and have been lucky so far.

Nope, it's a 2007 single cam. It's on the bike for about 6 or 7000kms. The "stuttering" hasn't learned it's way back...... yet.

My ECU must just be stupid!!

The problem is you get lots of opinions but few true experts !
Was thinking of trying the module because of price or might bite the bullet and go to hilltop

I'm going to get new downpipe so will have to do something as by all accounts it will be running very lean

If you change the exhaust system, The air fuel ratio will stay at around 14.7 to 1 in closed loop ( fluctuates either side of this value for the catalytic converter to work).
If the bike starts to run rich or lean in closed loop the lambda sensors detect it and the ecu corrects it.
It will run leaner / weaker mixture for a couple of tank fulls in open loop, until it has been adapted to via long term fuel trims.

The ECU will manage the fuel changes needed when a new header and/or new silencer is fitted. It will be out of range if a free flow intake or after market air filter is also fitted.

The issue is that for whatever reason BMW have set the mixture very weak at low throttle settings and especially at the 4000rpm flat spot. This will over stress the exhaust valves whether its running OEM or aftermarket exhaust. The only sure fix is a remap or power commander. Booster plug (or a resister spliced into the air inlet temperature circuit) will richen the mixture across the entire rev and throttle range. It wont deal with peaks and troughs in the map curves.

Cheap and cheerful and better than nothing but not for me.

Always run posh petrol as this allows the engine to extract more heat from the fuel so lowers exhaust gas temperatures to some extent.

The data I have recorded on a 2009 GS shows that in closed loop the air fuel ratio has remained at 14.7 to 1 with a full Remus system and a K&N filter ( K&N for test purposes only).
I ounce played with a device on one cylinder to alter injector pulse width, ( just out of interest).
The results were that I could make the mixture richer by a very large amount with the lambda sensor disconnected.
The mixture remained at 14.7 to 1 with the lambda sensor connected when set very rich.
After running for only a few minutes,I disconnected the device and the mixture went very lean then returned to 14.7 to 1.
This convinced me of the closed loop capabilities and adaptions of the BMW bmsk ecu.
The standard injectors and fuel pressure are capable of running as rich as 13.2 to 1 at light throttle cruise. ( A bit on the rich side for my taste).
This was logged using an AF-XIED on setting 8.

This was to demonstrate the adaptability of the ECU right?
You would still recommend the AF-XIED.

Some clarification to mistacat's comments:
--He has wideband sensors installed (shown in an earlier photo) so he can measure AFR on both cylinders.
--When he added a K&N and Remus the bmsk brought the AFR back to 14.7 when using a stock narrowband O2 (no Af-xied)
--When he added time (pulse extender) to one cylinder he got a richer AFR with the stock O2 disconnected.
--Even with added time on one injector, AFR went back to 14.7 with the stock O2 reconnected
--Disconnecting the pulse extender, the mixture initially went lean (showing there was an Adaptation factor) then returned to 14.7 with a stock O2.
--The above points demonstrated the capabilities of the BMSK to adapt and negate fuel pressure or pulse time or IAT temp shifters.

--Then he added AF-XIEDs, set them so that he measured 13.2, which proved to him that even with stock injectors and stock fuel pressure, the BMSK can adapt and add enough fuel to get the AFR from 14.7 to 13.2 which is a 10% increase in richness. (My tests show the limit is about a 20% increase.)

I've made all the same types of tests on the Motronic and bmsk and gotten the same results.

Back
Top Bottom