Average clutch life 1100GS ?

spanner monkey

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just got my first GS, its an 1100 oilhead 96 vintage with 69k on the clock, Im just wondering if it is still likely to be on its original clutch? what sort of mileage can you expect from one? It has been regularly serviced but I only have the stamps in the service book and not all the receipts for what was actually carried out, plus the garage that did the past few years work are no longer trading so no chance of finding out. Is there anything in particular that needs checking out on a bike of this age and mileage?
Im intending to do all the servicing on it myself and Im quite interested in knowing the weak areas that need closer attention, any info much appreciated!
Steve.

Welcome to UKGSer Steve:thumby:

My old 1150 (same set up) went to 83,000 miles and was sold at that mileage. Never needed a clutch fitting. Everything you'll ever need to know here on UKGSer ....

Enjoy
:beerjug:

Thanks Micky,
Did you ever need to carry out a clutch spline lube during that time? Im guessing mine has never been done. Not sure how essential the job really is. the Youtube guy from affordable beemer in the states makes out like its 100% essential.

Thanks Micky,
Did you ever need to carry out a clutch spline lube during that time? Im guessing mine has never been done. Not sure how essential the job really is. the Youtube guy from affordable beemer in the states makes out like its 100% essential.

No, never had the gearbox off. Just ride and enjoy :thumb

There'll be plenty on here coming up with advice :D

For myself, my F800GS (totally different clutch arrangement) has done 117,000 miles and only ever adjusted the once after the first few miles as it settled in.

Don't abuse the clutch ... and that's it ;)

Depends entirely on the type of use, and also on a bit of luck. If the bike has been used for commuting into a major city, 50k is about what you'll see. If it's been used for long steady speed journeys, you might get three or four times that. The luck bit comes into play if you lose a seal and get oil contamination on the clutch. This effectively ends the clutch as the bike has to be split to get it out, and once done, you might as well change the clutch while it's apart.

This is all based on actual experience, not on something I read on the internet.

My 1100 clutch was still good at 167000. I changed it as I had the box off for new bearings.
100000 on the new clutch and no problems.
Micky hit the nail on the head.
It's down to how you use it.
Its also important to keep it adjusted correctly.
If it rattles from the right hand side its likely to be a worn throttle body.
If it has its original gearbox its likely to need a rebuild at some point.
Problems usually show when accelerating in 3rd gear or a gold metallic sheen in drained gearbox oil.

Good luck.;)

It does come down to use of course unless the oil seal goes at the adjustment end of the pushrod tunnel, then it can all be over at anytime (35K) in my case :blast

Clutch went on my 1100 at 15k because the seal failed, yours hasn't, enjoy.

One area you could look at is brake lines; if they're still rubber originals, change them ASAP for braided. Internal collapse can leave you with locked brakes.

my 2003 1150 GSA's clutch was replaced last yr at 31k miles, for same reason,,,,,

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 911
  • 12019.jpg
    12019.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 911
  • 11048.jpg
    11048.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 907
  • 120381.jpg
    120381.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 920

One area you could look at is brake lines; if they're still rubber originals, change them ASAP for braided. Internal collapse can leave you with locked brakes.

Luckily mine have been replaced by a previous owner with some nice braided ones.

my 2003 1150 GSA's clutch was replaced last yr at 31k miles, for same reason,,,,,

I take it thats not one you can nurse for many miles on the road when the clutch is covered in oil!
It does look like a nice juicy job to get your teeth into though, I really enjoy working on well built machines, at least until I skin my knuckles or shear off a bolt!

I take it thats not one you can nurse for many miles on the road when the clutch is covered in oil!
It does look like a nice juicy job to get your teeth into though, I really enjoy working on well built machines, at least until I skin my knuckles or shear off a bolt!

yup, once soaked in oil its came over for the clutch plate...
its a lottery as to when / if the output seal can or will go... cry time if its low miles..

My 1100 clutch was still good at 167000. I changed it as I had the box off for new bearings.
100000 on the new clutch and no problems.
Micky hit the nail on the head.
It's down to how you use it.
Its also important to keep it adjusted correctly.
If it rattles from the right hand side its likely to be a worn throttle body.
If it has its original gearbox its likely to need a rebuild at some point.
Problems usually show when accelerating in 3rd gear or a gold metallic sheen in drained gearbox oil.

Good luck.;)

It Rides and sounds great at the moment and has just been serviced, Id love to ride another one to compare it to but I think it is all as it should be. its very different from anything Ive owned or ridden before. I did a bit of searching on here and found out that I have the earlier (more problematic) gearbox but all seems good even when ridden hard, Its got a bit more clunky selection than my previous jap bikes but Im told that is totally normal, I guess Ill just ride it and enjoy it 'as is' and if it fails I guess it could be rebuilt to the later standard.
Having only owned a GS for a few days I adore the thing already and love the way its put together, I had never realised BMWs were so different until I got one in my garage. I cant believe that such a big heavy bike can feel so light and sure footed.

Thanks Micky,

You say your bike has 69K miles on it.... If the clutch splines were going to strip they would have done it by now... Don't worry about it, this spine lube paranoia is an american thing.

You say your bike has 69K miles on it.... If the clutch splines were going to strip they would have done it by now... Don't worry about it, this spine lube paranoia is an american thing.

I guess my 1150 proves this, my splines went at 33k miles and at 12years old!! Mine was 1 owner prior to me, known to me from new, so I know it was never abused. One day I will fix the bloody thing:blast. Sooooon

Thanks Steptoe, Its good to have reassurance that there is no need for this hefty job just for a smudge of grease.

My 1150 got a cosmetic refurb at 69000 miles. I left the original clutch in and it was still good at 96,000 when I sold the bike.

Back
Top Bottom