That's mintier than a minty thing

Almost seems a shame to through it sideways through a hedge at 70mph
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    DR350
    Just done 2 days trail riding

My DR 350 was great & never missed a beat

The KTM 's in our group though - only 1 out of 3 survived & the other 2 had mechanical breakdowns never to run again without some workshop diagnosis
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

The guy bought it new in 2006 and never rode it until 2008, Sat & Sun in Wales and never rode it since. It's a shame but it will soon look a bit rough with my crap skills but at least mechanically it should see me out.

Called in Hawes yesterday on the way home for Fish and chips and was looking out for you JB again to introduce myself but couldn't see you this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Anything will do
    With reasonably wide bars - my guzzi le mans was a nightmare!

Problem with this off road lark is that the vast majority of the people who think they need a top spec fire breathing enduro for trail riding really don't.

They buy a bike capable of high speed off road when they are not ( off road novice who was recommended to buy a used xr250 as a starter bike but as a GSXR1100 owner decided that he needed a brand new Honda XR650R..... first ride crashed on a fast forest road and broke both arms ).

For trail riding most of the work is done at lower speeds off road and trying to keep up with traffic when on road .

Also if you are not an enduro rider do you really want to be faffing about on something that is high maintenance .

AS said for the vast majority of trail riders who want a bike to use maybe a couple of times a month on gentle green lanes you want something along the line of :

Honda xr250/400, crf250l, crm250
    Yamaha TTR250
    Suzuki DR250/350, DRZ400
    Kawasaki KLR250

Plenty of other options available but do not automatically write off the older stuff as it always keeps its value

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable Git View Post
    The guy bought it new in 2006 and never rode it until 2008, Sat & Sun in Wales and never rode it since. It's a shame but it will soon look a bit rough with my crap skills but at least mechanically it should see me out.

Called in Hawes yesterday on the way home for Fish and chips and was looking out for you JB again to introduce myself but couldn't see you this time.
    Sorry, I was trail riding in Devon over the weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    JohnnyBoxer

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Problem with this off road lark is that the vast majority of the people who think they need a top spec fire breathing enduro for trail riding really don't.

They buy a bike capable of high speed off road when they are not ( off road novice who was recommended to buy a used xr250 as a starter bike but as a GSXR1100 owner decided that he needed a brand new Honda XR650R..... first ride crashed on a fast forest road and broke both arms ).

For trail riding most of the work is done at lower speeds off road and trying to keep up with traffic when on road .

Also if you are not an enduro rider do you really want to be faffing about on something that is high maintenance .

AS said for the vast majority of trail riders who want a bike to use maybe a couple of times a month on gentle green lanes you want something along the line of :

Yamaha TTR250
    Suzuki DR350, DRZ400
    Kawasaki KLR250

Plenty of other options available but do not automatically write off the older stuff as it always keeps its value
    I couldn't agree more

Attached Images Attached Images  
    JohnnyBoxer

'Don't mess with me' Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post

Yamaha TTR250
    Suzuki DR250/350, DRZ400
    Kawasaki KLR250

So I have a pair of 2011 Husabergs - an FE390 and an FE570.

Despite appearing to be identical, they are quite different rides. The internal gearing is different so the 390 is quite buzzy but the 570 is much more of a thumper.

As my riding buddies will atest, a big donkey does not mean you have to ride quickly.
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Problem is that too many people new to off road riding but used to fast road bikes WILL ride far too quickly for their off road abilities and either scare the shit out of themselves or do themselves an injury.

Not saying that it happens with everyone but there always seems to be a good number of very low mileage large capacity (read quick) enduro bikes up for sale because the owners 'DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO USE THEM'

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Masters View Post
    So I have a pair of 2011 Husabergs - an FE390 and an FE570.

Despite appearing to be identical, they are quite different rides. The internal gearing is different so the 390 is quite buzzy but the 570 is much more of a thumper.

As my riding buddies will atest, a big donkey does not mean you have to ride quickly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345