Which bike for green-lanes?

Snowy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All. I used to do loads of green-lane riding but had to stop about 10 years ago when life took over. My last bike was a XR250. Since then I haven't really paid much attention to the bikes or the green-lane 'scene'. Things have now changed and I want to get back into it and need to choose a bike.

The current fave when I woke this morning was the KLX450R. I don't think I'll be doing enduro events so think the KTM450 might be too high-maintenance for what I'll use it for.

Is anyone happy enough to give me their thoughts on the KLX or alternatives I should look at. Thanks.

WR250R, if you can find one.:)

green lane

first how far to the lanes ? second how fast do want to go ? ktm will last just as long as you look after them ,your not racing so you can stretch the service limits. any 250 will do loads of cheap honda crf 250l out there , old enduro models will have had a harder life . klx450 good bike just never caught on , wr 250 r rock solid and great service intervals ,,,,, some want top enduro bikes others just an old xr will do.

A 250 with decent service intervals makes for a good winter green laner but although heavy I did like my DR400 which did many miles off and on road.

DR350/400 wonderfully robust, simple to service, wish I'd never sold mine.

5a4675f51c8fd7ce91cae818393938f1.jpg

This does the trick for me

Thanks all, that's really helpful.

I have to decide between cheap and cheerful (older bike) or splash out a bit and get a newer one as I have a reasonably big piggy bank. They will all deliver lots of smiles though so it's a great position to be in.

I'm in rural Norfolk so do have a few lanes nearby - some may call them 'A' roads but I'm not born 'n' bred here so they're muddy trails to me :D

Thanks all, that's really helpful.

I have to decide between cheap and cheerful (older bike) or splash out a bit and get a newer one as I have a reasonably big piggy bank. They will all deliver lots of smiles though so it's a great position to be in.

I'm in rural Norfolk so do have a few lanes nearby - some may call them 'A' roads but I'm not born 'n' bred here so they're muddy trails to me :D

I don't know how familiar you are with the legal lanes and what area you ride in, if it is Thetford way I noticed on the Norfolk TRF facebook page that the police are having a clampdown on riders using trails that are not legal routes.Are you in the TRF?

Hi Norfolk Tiger. I'm familiar with the legal lanes nearby but am hoping to get to know a lot more further afield. I will be joining the TRF again very soon. I've always believed in only using legal lanes. Anything else just gives the haters more to beat us up with. The last thing we need.

Hi Norfolk Tiger. I'm familiar with the legal lanes nearby but am hoping to get to know a lot more further afield. I will be joining the TRF again very soon. I've always believed in only using legal lanes. Anything else just gives the haters more to beat us up with. The last thing we need.

Pity the local authorities aren't so concerned in removing the pikeys that have taken up residence on harling drove :mad:

Back
Top Bottom