Is it me or are the stock lights on the '15 models not good enough?

Molan

Reaction score
I bought my '15 TE just before Xmas and have been riding in and out of Central London on a 45 mile journey for 3-4 days a week since then.

The last 20 minutes of my journey is relatively quick country roads with little street lighting and some nice twists and turns.

Unfortunately I'm finding the lights simply aren't good enough for fast riding on these roads. In fact I'd go as far to say that the dipped beam is dangerous at anything over 40-50 mph on a twisty road. These are roads I know well having lived here for over 10 years.

My old '06 K1200GT had far better throw of illumination and I never had any problems riding quickly and safely on these roads.

Is this a common problem or do I need to get my lights checked?

I've been thinking of adding some spotlights to try and help but obviously that isn't a cheap option (minimum £250 from what I've found so far?).

I used mine in the dark the other day for the first time and found the lights to be very good. The light is very white so unless it is pitch dark you don't see the light as well as the more yellow halogen. As you mention a TE, I assume you do have the LED headlight.

Adjust the height. They are set too low at the factory, bloody eu bollocks. The led light on my GSA is better than any aftermarket HID offering.

Quiet the opposite to be honest. I've got a 2016 GSS and they are probably the best stock lights I've had on a bike.

May be worth having the dealer check them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also thought the light was inadequate so I adjusted the angle from behind the clock which helped a little. Still not satisfied I fitted additional LED lights from Touratech. Night & Day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the additional driving lights fitted - much better.

Im awaiting delivery of a GSA TE with LEDs and Im hoping they are going to be really good as I do a lot of nighttime riding on rural roads.

dd9ae35f0a7b5e3d360813d3b2edd9b4.jpg
The lights in question. Best I have for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found my 2014 led light disappointing on the twisties, but I think all it needs is adjustment to make it higher, I have auxillary lights to but they are angled low to with no real adjustment!

Check to see if the headlight beam throw was not adjusted for a high load (luggage, fat wife etc..). The pivot should be down, that is the normal position. Also note that the K16 has a gyro lens directing the dipped beam of light into the corner.

Even if you know the roads well enough. The human eye loses the ability to judge perspective at low light conditions. It is advisable to reduce speed in such conditions.

I will have a good look at the angle tomorrow. On Thursday night I tried riding on full beam and not a single car flashed me so it could well be that the headlight is just pointing too low!

Its easy to adjust the headlight angle on the fly..... not recommended though :D

P.s The LED Aux lights were more effective on my GS, mounted under the beak, than the are on my GSA, mounted on the crash bars. Find the lights incredibly bright though!

Back
Top Bottom