Biking for 20 years and nearly ready for a GS

Pazuzu

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm down in Kent and have been riding on and off for 20 years, mostly Sports bikes but I started riding again after a 3 year layoff last year and as I had no NCD (it expires after 2) I needed something vaguely sensible but I also needed it very quickly.

I ended up buying a gorgeous blue FireStorm with just over 3,000 miles on the clock and it made me remember why I love riding so much.

pU3iLIK.jpg

Later in the year, pretty much on a whim, I decided that I always liked the GS so I booked a test ride of a new LC at Tunbridge Wells and was pretty much blown away - I just wanted to ride it all day. Suddenly, popping over to Africa for a look around seemed a perfectly sensible idea!

I couldn't stretch to a new one at the time without selling the FireStorm and being the wrong time of year that just didn't happen, the weather then closed in, the 'Storm went in the garage on the trickle charger and that was that.

Fast forward to current situation.

Current finance deal on a new GS is pretty rubbish so second-hand is the way to go.

I've got about £5k and the 'Storm to play with and I have 3 offers of £2500 on mine but no one has actually materialised and paid up.

I have a tentative offer of £5k and mine for a '59 plate GSA with all the little bits and luggage but with 33k miles so I'm probably taking a bit of a hit on the PX.

Alternatively, I've been chatting to the bloke about this one and there is a deal to be done that would mean I can keep both bikes and then sell the 'Storm fairly easily in the Summer if I choose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281930792583?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've read up on most of the major stuff and still want one - I rode a new Africa Twin and it was OK but I was raving about it for a couple of days after riding the LC and the Africa Twin just did not excite me as much.

Thoughts and advice welcome - not really fussed about whether it's a GS or a GSA but engine bars and aux lights would be nice to have.

If anyone knows of a good one within maybe 100 miles of Ashford, Kent I'd be happy to hear about it as well.

If any of the guys I've already been talking to read this feel free to chip in as well but one of you pointed me this way and the info has been a great help :thumb2

Apologies for the novel :)

Cheers,

Phil

TL:DR - trade mine in and take a hit or buy a cheaper one and keep both bikes. Anyone know of a good one for sale.

Evening all,

I'm down in Kent and have been riding on and off for 20 years, mostly Sports bikes but I started riding again after a 3 year layoff last year and as I had no NCD (it expires after 2) I needed something vaguely sensible but I also needed it very quickly.

I ended up buying a gorgeous blue FireStorm with just over 3,000 miles on the clock and it made me remember why I love riding so much.

pU3iLIK.jpg

Later in the year, pretty much on a whim, I decided that I always liked the GS so I booked a test ride of a new LC at Tunbridge Wells and was pretty much blown away - I just wanted to ride it all day. Suddenly, popping over to Africa for a look around seemed a perfectly sensible idea!

I couldn't stretch to a new one at the time without selling the FireStorm and being the wrong time of year that just didn't happen, the weather then closed in, the 'Storm went in the garage on the trickle charger and that was that.

Fast forward to current situation.

Current finance deal on a new GS is pretty rubbish so second-hand is the way to go.

I've got about £5k and the 'Storm to play with and I have 3 offers of £2500 on mine but no one has actually materialised and paid up.

I have a tentative offer of £5k and mine for a '59 plate GSA with all the little bits and luggage but with 33k miles so I'm probably taking a bit of a hit on the PX.

Alternatively, I've been chatting to the bloke about this one and there is a deal to be done that would mean I can keep both bikes and then sell the 'Storm fairly easily in the Summer if I choose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281930792583?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've read up on most of the major stuff and still want one - I rode a new Africa Twin and it was OK but I was raving about it for a couple of days after riding the LC and the Africa Twin just did not excite me as much.

Thoughts and advice welcome - not really fussed about whether it's a GS or a GSA but engine bars and aux lights would be nice to have.

If anyone knows of a good one within maybe 100 miles of Ashford, Kent I'd be happy to hear about it as well.

If any of the guys I've already been talking to read this feel free to chip in as well but one of you pointed me this way and the info has been a great help :thumb2

Apologies for the novel :)

Cheers,

Phil

TL:DR - trade mine in and take a hit or buy a cheaper one and keep both bikes. Anyone know of a good one for sale.
Hi Phil, that storm looks in bloody good nick! I bought one when they first came out and really enjoyed it! BMW were doing a good rate on new bikes, 2.9% on a pcp deal, is that not happening now? Because with your 5k and maybe 2 and a half for your storm as a large deposit I would imagine your monthly payments would only be about 100 quid.

The 2.9% deal finished, official rate now is 9.9%

The chap reckons he can get this down to 7% but that's not really tempting when you can borrow at 3.3%.

April rates may be better so when they are released he's going to call me if I haven't done anything in the meantime.

Cheers!

Phil

Nice bike - I presumed you'd be buying a WC. How did you find the TC in comparison? I do love mine, but have to admit if I'd have tried the 2015 WC first I'd probably find the TC relatively agricultural afterwards. They are a fantastic bike though, just quite different to the TC.

Bloody hell that was quick!

Congrats. I've been riding 20 years and I the GS is by far my favourite ride (well, perhaps 2nd to an SP1 ;) )

This isn't even a TC and I didn't ride it :)

The LC was great but the deals just aren't there at the moment as far as I can see.

I was going for a TC if I sold the Storm but reducing my budget a bit allowed me to get a very nice 2009 bike and keep the Storm if I choose.

I bought this in about 20 minutes this afternoon. Didn't ride it but I did start it up briefly :) It's obviously a peach for the money and Dave is a great guy. Good owner, good bike IMO.

Plenty of scope to upgrade in the future :)

Thanks,

Phil

thats a beauty, well done, good time of year to buy, bikes are suddenly expensive, so your two different motorcycles fit
two different moods.Welcome to the Forum.:beerjug:

Bloody hell that was quick!

Congrats. I've been riding 20 years and I the GS is by far my favourite ride (well, perhaps 2nd to an SP1 ;) )

Thanks, I don't mess about :)

I had an SP2 but actually preferred the 916 that followed - blimey that was gorgeous!

7ed5qLR.jpg

2YLeBjF.jpg

I must admit I have been looking at SP1's lately though as they are a bargain and I reckon they'll eventually be the one to have.

Cheers,

Phil

Back
Top Bottom