Standard vs PCV vs AF-XIED

Roger will no doubt reply shortly, but in the mean time you will not be able to measure the actual AFR with the GS911 after fitting the AF-Xied units as the GS911 will report the pre modified figures.
I believe Roger still uses a wide band sensor connected to an Innovate LC1 with the output programmed to simulate a narrow band sensor ( giving very similar results to the af-Xied`s).
The advantage with this set up is that you can log data at the same time.
The disadvantage is that the 2 units for a 1200 are quit bulky, need programming and require a lot more wiring than the Af-Xieds which are plug and play in minutes.
For my setup I use the AF-Xieds and have welded another pair of Lambda bosses in the header pipes close to the originals in which I use pair of wide band lambda sensors connected to an Innovate LM2 dual channel data logger.
I also have connected the Innovate LM2 to the BMSK ECU so can log 32 channels of data from the ECU to go with the AFR figures.
I did at one time try to connect the GS911 and the Innovate LM2 at the same time but there were conflicts.
Having said that you will get a lot of good data from the GS911 just not the post install AFR`s.

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the long delay in replying. To make it easier to follow, I've answered your questions in colored text, below.

Roger

Hi Rodger,

In order to gather the data with the GS911 i take it you simply put your laptop into the top box and log via the laptop? Yes, that's what I used to do, sometimes I just used a bungee cord and strapped it in the rear seat. Now, I use the new GS-911 Wifi, which has internal storage. That way you log to the gs-911 and download the data to your PC after riding. I always log all realtime data. You don't know what will be valuable later. I will have to get the old GS911 out and have a play with getting it into data logging mode. All you have to do is to log ALL realtime values to a .CSV file. So is it worth me getting the bike in standard un-molested form and take it out and get some data logged prior to installing the AF units?? I'd say it's worth it only if you're curious and have the time to set up the tests, analyze the data, and rerun them. My purpose with most datalogging was to prove to myself that lambda-shifting was compatible with the Motronic and BMSK. It is we'll know that engines run smoother and produce more torque and HP when you shift from a stoichiometric fuel ratio toward Best Power Mixture. My tests were intended to be confirmatory.

Did you simply use excel to plot the data?? Yes, that's right. I import the .CSV file and use excel to analyze and plot the data. Are you able to share the standard data (for a TC if possible) so i have a comparison? I don't have an extensive data set just the bikes I've reported, and many smaller files from helping riders fix problems. Ive got a 2012 TC GSA with 11K miles on the clock that would be looking to do the test with.

Just thought it might be interesting to have a before and after log on another bike?? More data never hurts but it does take a high level of care to set up for the tests so that the methodology and conditions are consistent. The other thing to note is that the GS-911 sampling rate is low, even at its highest speed. Therefore it helps to make multiple runs under the same conditions and average the results. Also, you want to run several tanks of fuel through the engine after each change so you can be sure that the ECU has fully adapted.

Cheers
Mark

Many thank Roger for taking the time to answer these questions.

I will give it a go with the GS911 and see how i get on. Got the new units back to the UK safe and sound so ready to get them fitted at earliest opportunity.

Well got these fitted and serviced the bike on Friday and was out for a blast today two up, what a difference straight off for me the bike is so so much smoother even the other half can notice the difference. So before the bike was lumpy low down especially with the extra weight with the two of us when moving through towns and the likes, well thats all gone its nice and smooth. Even in top gear the bike just feels so much better i really am impressed straight off. I have them set to 8 and will see how it goes but so far so good, well happy with the purchase.

hi ya
i've put the remus de-cat headers and flappy valve bypass pipe on my twin cam 2010, made a noticeable differance.
slightly louder, better pickup, thinking about the re map next

I know a guy in Dublin remapped my Super Tenere and he did a great job. Gary Donohue.

Yeah I got Tenere done by Gary and he made the bike into a machine that did what I wanted with throttle not what Yamaha wanted ie hold it back. Fuelling was excellent and may have been marginally better with consumption. I never really checked. Give Gary a shout at mototuning.ie. Some guys take their bikes to Christian Elkin the racer when not racing.

Denis

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looking at his website he seems to know what he's talking about.
The thing that noticed in his write up about tuning an R nine T is that his dyno charts only show an increase in peak power of 5bhp or around 5%.
This, I can believe! It's realistic.
Others on this forum have been waving dyno charts around with increases in the region of 20%. Either there was something badly wrong with their bike before or the dyno readings have been massaged.
Obviously, the driveability or the torque is of more interest to the typical GS rider. The push from 60 to 80mph in top is more interest to me and rarely go near the red line.
His figures would seem to show a healthy interest there, too.
Might have been tempted a couple of years ago before I fitted the AF-XiED units but honestly can't see any advantage going down that road now.
Everyone thinks that they have a 'keeper' but a remap is still the most expensive accessory that has to go with the bike.

Well I finally took the plundge........got myself a great deal on a set from a very nice chap in the states (a GREAT deal) probably be a couple of weeks getting them and then I have to wait for my spanner monkey mates to get back from Croatia to get them fitted.

I'm as giddy as a giddy person from giddysville!!!!

Anyone got experience of these on the old single cam engines, what sort of improvements can you expect and would the twin cam ones fit??

Ta

Anyone got experience of these on the old single cam engines, what sort of improvements can you expect and would the twin cam ones fit??

Ta

Ta
Yeah, the units are the same........I could transfer mine onto a twin cam if I had one.

I found they made a very noticeable difference in low speed manoeuvres, throttle response, roll on acceleration and made it much stronger higher in the rev range (pushing on your honor)

If you have a single cam and you can get a set......do it. If your not convinced by them, you will have a queue of people to take them from you.

Sent from a U11

Ta

There are two different kind of AF-XIED units: for water-cooled R1200s you need AF-XIED with RAM, for all other BMWs the straight AF-XIED works but you could use the units that have the RAM function. All bikes benefit from a slightly richer mixture. R1200s use two units, most other bikes need one.

Yeah, the units are the same........I could transfer mine onto a twin cam if I had one.

I found they made a very noticeable difference in low speed manoeuvres, throttle response, roll on acceleration and made it much stronger higher in the rev range (pushing on your honor)

If you have a single cam and you can get a set......do it. If your not convinced by them, you will have a queue of people to take them from you.

Sent from a U11

Many thanks, going to have someone able to take them back from the states in a few weeks so think i will get a set ordered up.

Back
Top Bottom