Africa Twin Slays GS in Bike Mag Full Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're taking the rip but, on the Orange 1190 most reports said that the R with 21/18 wheels was the better road bike than the vanilla bike with 19/17 wheels - also borne out by our very own Cookie who's owned both bikes. Engineer (sic) needs to actually ride the fecking bikes rather than sit behind his Italian coffee table reading bollox in magazines :)

Andres

Totally agree.That's why my weapon of choice since 2008 has been my 950 SuperEnduro with it's 21/18 combo.Yes, the outright grip is limited compared to something more road orientated but for most of the time I much prefer it with the kind of riding I do.That's why I know I'll love the AT when it finally pitches up,and confirmed within seconds of setting off on a demo ride.

But if you like mile munching on the autoroute between Formule 1 luxury hotels ,2 up ,then the GS will be far more you

They never road it off road and it is the best adventure bike???????. My posts get sillier and sillier :)

Do you actually know what you are writing ?
You don't have to go offroad to have an adventure.But I would suggest you go ride a bike rather than talk bollox on here.Better still go test an AT and then you may just have a valued opinion on the subject.But I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:

You don't have to go offroad to have an adventure.But I would suggest you go ride a bike rather than talk bollox on here.Better still go test an AT and then you may just have a valued opinion on the subject.But I won't hold my breath.:rolleyes:

You go round and round in circles - so now an adventure bike doesn't have to go off road!

Fuck me. It's like being a school play ground listening to a bunch of kids arguing about who's dad would win in a fight.

I'll let you in on a little secret...ITS ALL FUCKING SUBJECTIVE!! Some people like a good arse, others a good rack. Some like lager (poofs), some like beer. Some will prefer the AT, others the GS...some might even choose a KTM (god forbid!! )

IMHO It sounds more like you are trying to convince yourselves you bought the right bike than anything else.

Having said that, reading this thread is entertaining on what is an otherwise quiet Saturday evening so please do carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuck me. It's like being a school play ground listening to a bunch of kids arguing about who's dad would win in a fight.

I'll let you in on a little secret...ITS ALL FUCKING SUBJECTIVE!! Some people like a good arse, others a good rack. Some like lager (poofs), some like beer. Some will prefer the AT, others the GS...some might even choose a KTM (god forbid!! )

IMHO It sounds more like you are trying to convince yourselves you bought the right bike than anything else.

Having said that, reading this thread is entertaining on what is an otherwise quiet Saturday evening so please do carry on

A good arse,a good rack ???
No wonder you're having a quiet night in.
Incredible,simply incredible.................:rolleyes:

How do you have an adventure?

I leave the house with an open mind.You ?

I just get on with my life in my own little way. I am genuinely perplexed though about this adventure malarkey and what constitutes one.

A good arse,a good rack ???
No wonder you're having a quiet night in.
Incredible,simply incredible.................:rolleyes:

Haha. You can choose a fat arse or a shit rack if you'd prefer.

What I find incredible is you are so insecure about your choice of bike you spend your Saturday evening trying to convince people you are "right" when the truth of the matter is you can only be right for you...nobody else.

Haha. You can choose a fat arse or a shit rack if you'd prefer.

What I find incredible is you are so insecure about your choice of bike you spend your Saturday evening trying to convince people you are "right" when the truth of the matter is you can only be right for you...nobody else.

........your wasting your time trying to talk sense to Arsey - I gave up long ago ;)

But how could they prefer it on road with it's 21/18 wheel combo ??? :aidan

Surprised Nutty isn't around to chip in,perhaps he's taken Mrs Nutjob to Nandos for a posh luvvy meal for deux !!!

Just got in. What a funny thread! I couldn't care less what Bike magazine think is flavour of the month right now, as I'm secure enough knowing that I ride the best all round adventure bike there is.;)

And if people don't agree, who cares? I certainly don't. Ride whatever bike floats your boat, as there's no such thing as a bad bike nowadays (even those KTM's :D).

The Africa Twin hype will soon die down.:rob

Just got in. What a funny thread! I couldn't care less what Bike magazine think is flavour of the month right now, as I'm secure enough knowing that I ride the best all round adventure bike there is.;)

And if people don't agree, who cares? I certainly don't. Ride whatever bike floats your boat, as there's no such thing as a bad bike nowadays (even those KTM's :D).

The Africa Twin hype will soon die down.:rob

Amen to that

Amen to that

It depends what you define as an adventure bike, if all you ever do is ride on the road then you don't need an adventure bike you just need something that suits you and what you feel happy riding.

FWIW, I have had a number of different Hondas (cbr's, vfr's and a 900 hornet) as well as 3 X 1200 gs's and a Ducati and have an AT on order, I am really looking forward to getting to know it and reading shite from people who haven't rode it is grating a bit although I do understand that I don't need to read it but if certain people don't like it then that's ok but do they really need to tell the world that those that have ordered one are making a mistake when we are all different and hope for different things from our bike.

I will take a pillion, she has sat on it and decided it's got more room than the multistrada (which she really liked) and not quite so much as the GS ( which she really liked until she tried the Ducati) so we will have to wait no see.

FWIW, if you really don't like the AT and think the GS is the best then try a Multistrada as its faster, handles better, has a better pillion seat (according to my other half the GS is built for fat Germans) and is, from my experience, better built.

In summary, whatever floats your boat is fine but if you insist in passing comments on another bike without any knowledge then you are just being a twat (apologies to GS jonesey and nutty as this post isn't directly aimed at them but more a general comment)

....somesay you can judge a bike buy its forum

That may be so, this particular forum evolved beyond it's GS origins a long time ago.

Rightly or not I've opted to only consider shaft drive bikes until now so don't really have any interest in the AT but am keenly following these threads to see what Honda have managed to create. They have underperformed for years with what are considered to be uninspiring but well made bikes. You could argue that BM have done the exact opposite, creating inspiring bikes with some dubiously designed features that have been put together with borderline quality components. They are however backed up with an excellent warranty, dealer network and finance package. If you are lucky enough to get a good one some models are great bikes, shame that buying one is such a lottery.

In summary, whatever floats your boat is fine but if you insist in passing comments on another bike without any knowledge then you are just being a twat (apologies to GS jonesey and nutty as this post isn't directly aimed at them but more a general comment)

Daffy - I don't take your comments personally so no offence caused at all buddy

However I will point out the I haven't criticised anybody for their choice of bike, nor said the AT, or any other bike for that matter, is better/worse than the other options. However a good number people on this thread have been making such claims, and I was simply pointing out that the answer to "which is the best bike?" can only ever be truly answered if it has the words "for me" bolted into the end of that question...because it's 100% subjective.

A mate from the south coast does circa 10,000 a year commuting and goes on at least 2 decent length tours in Europe every year. What bike does he ride? R1. He's had 3 in the last 10 years...and he loves every minute and every mile. Would it be my choice? No. Would it be most people's choice? I'm guessing not. Has he ridden tons of other bikes and got the means to change if you wanted to? Yes. Would I dream of telling him he's "got the wrong bike". No. I have told him the R1 wouldn't be my choice (after being asked for my opinion) but it's horses for courses as far as I'm concerned.

But like I said in a previous post on this thread. Without these people waving their cocks about and trying to convince everybody else (or as I suspect, themselves) that they made the right choice and ride "the best" bike my Saturday evening would have had a few less laughs. So I'm happy to sit back watch the mayhem unfold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom