Afica Twin 3 hr Test ride today

Byronavitch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to ride the bike everyone is raving about so thought I would supply my own observations about the bike so if you own one or have one on order remember it is just my view.

Set off early to collect the bike rode my GSA 1200 LC rather than take the car it was 2 c this morning so pretty cold it was the manual with fogs,crashbars, few deflectors and heated grips, the bike does look well and although it looks tall you feel as though you are sitting in it,When you first start the bike it sounds fantastic set the traction and heated grips and then off North towards the scottish borders from Newcastle the Gearbox is silky smooth and its the first bike for years I did not wear earplugs it sounds that good.

The roads where pretty dry but B roads where wet and greasy and a bit icy.The bike is more than quick enough no problem there but coming straight off the BMW after the initial WOw you start to think more about how you would live with the bike Im 6" 4 and the bars and seat are to low bike feels like an 800, After the BM you have to get your head around Brake dive.

Above 70 the wind hits your helmet hard took the bike up to 117 on the clock got there easy enough but the wind blast brings you back to earth, also at speed yes it handles alright but but does not feel planted like the BM and turn in is slower one thing you notice especially in that cold is the lack of protection to you lower legs I had sealskin socks ,Goretex boots and Rukka pants Merino bottoms on and my feet where starting to get cold rode through winter on BM never had to even think about that.On the way back had to keep stretching my legs and arse went numb and came back early had enough, would I tour on one No is it a good bike Yes for the right people bet its brilliant off road.(also owned GSA1150, KTm 950, KTM 1190,Caponord 1200 Touring Pack so have tryed a few other Adventure bikes) On the way home fitted some Anakee Wild tyres on the BM as long as it is reliable will definatey keep for planned trips this year cannot wait.

Summed up well

Good in parts, but overall pretty ordinary and nowt to rave about

Cheers:thumby:

I don't really get Honda's thinking. Off road riders who are around will get something smaller, lighter or cheaper. If it's fashion then why make it aggressively off road biased? I like the look of it especially in tricolour with gold rims but that's more nostalgia rather than being desperate to get one. Yes it is £4K less than a GS but it's chain drive rather than shaft, no D-ESA, no tyre pressure control, crap heated grips (shhh 2013 GS owners), much less detailed on board computer, no integration with sat nav compared to Nav V, non adjustable screen, no keyless ride (I don't want it but it's not available on the Honda), blah blah blah. If they'd got the Crosstourer right there would probably have been no need for this bike.

Comparing the AT to the GSA is like comparing a Land Rover Defender to a Range Rover. Both bikes are great at what they do, but are completely different.

How are the Anakee Wild tyres?

So far so good obviously feel different but they look the dogs do dahs and they don't howl as some people thought also help slow me down a bit

Were you in the Aprilia forum? I traded my Caponord 1200 TP in for my GS and so glad I did. The GS is a better bike by miles

I don't really get Honda's thinking. Off road riders who are around will get something smaller, lighter or cheaper. If it's fashion then why make it aggressively off road biased? I like the look of it especially in tricolour with gold rims but that's more nostalgia rather than being desperate to get one. Yes it is £4K less than a GS but it's chain drive rather than shaft, no D-ESA, no tyre pressure control, crap heated grips (shhh 2013 GS owners), much less detailed on board computer, no integration with sat nav compared to Nav V, non adjustable screen, no keyless ride (I don't want it but it's not available on the Honda), blah blah blah. If they'd got the Crosstourer right there would probably have been no need for this bike.

What a stupid post.

Some people don't have to have ridiculous 'aids' such as tyre pressure control and keyless ignition.It's a bloody motorbike,not some shite rep-mobile 4 wheeler.
I fear many have lost the plot on here.

Bollocks. Now put your head back in the sand. Bikes were lost the moment they invented electric start.

No not on the Forum the caponord was a quick bike but the fueling was terrible on off on off nearly bought a Rally version then came to my senses so glad I bought another GS

No not on the Forum the caponord was a quick bike but the fueling was terrible on off on off nearly bought a Rally version then came to my senses so glad I bought another GS

Exactly why many of getting rid of them plus the GS handles better as well. I HATED the cruise control on the Caponord as well and was very much a relief when I got rid of it.

I think bikes like this show you how hard it is to make something virtually from scratch and and how BMWs evolve ie switches in the right place, right engine ,shaft drive fit for purpose

What a stupid post.

Some people don't have to have ridiculous 'aids' such as tyre pressure control and keyless ignition.It's a bloody motorbike,not some shite rep-mobile 4 wheeler.

Or a DCT transmission !

What a stupid post.

Yeah...imagine sticking 'ridiculous aids' such as an auto gearbox on a bike!! It's an outrage I tell you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom