KTM Super Duke GT

They are the standard disc's on the GT, I wanted a GT but my local dealer is only having one for this quarter so I'll await till it's been out and the rush has died down and I'll be in better position to haggle a deal, plus the fact I'm spending more time at dealers for being a beta tester for there latest and greatest and its starting to take its take the shine of all things new.

They are the standard disc's on the GT, I wanted a GT but my local dealer is only having one for this quarter so I'll await till it's been out and the rush has died down and I'll be in better position to haggle a deal, plus the fact I'm spending more time at dealers for being a beta tester for there latest and greatest and its starting to take its take the shine of all things new.

And the discs on the bike in the first post?

Is that the only size of pannier, they don't look very big for 2-up touring? Otherwise will have to see what Givi come up with.

Interesting model though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the only size of pannier, they don't look very big for 2-up touring? Otherwise will have to see what Givi come up with.

Interesting model though!

Bigger boxes would look stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

While Ding-Dong was asking the aforementioned KTM stand-bod exciting questions about wavy discs, I was asking him boring ones about pannier sizes. They're 30 litres, apparently. A bit marginal if your Mrs insists on taking her hair-dryer on holiday.

While Ding-Dong was asking the aforementioned KTM stand-bod exciting questions about wavy discs, I was asking him boring ones about pannier sizes. They're 30 litres, apparently. A bit marginal if your Mrs insists on taking her hair-dryer on holiday.

To be honest I think you'd struggle to tour on it 2 up.It really isn't designed for that.

But solo,with the touring pack giving you panniers and heated seats,and then get the rear bag and you're good to go :

To be honest I think you'd struggle to tour on it 2 up.It really isn't designed for that.

But solo,with the touring pack giving you panniers and heated seats,and then get the rear bag and you're good to go :

I have Givi V35 33L panniers that I used on my K1300R which don't look too big because of their shape. So if Givi do a mounting system for them for the GT that would work?

I have Givi V35 33L panniers that I used on my K1300R which don't look too big because of their shape. So if Givi do a mounting system for them for the GT that would work?

True,but you'd probably have pannier frames which would spoil the look of the bike when panniers not in use.

Givis would look horrible on the KTM, as they do on every other bike, only more so.

True,but you'd probably have pannier frames which would spoil the look of the bike when panniers not in use.

The ones on my K1300R were quick release and only took a few minutes to remove and once off you would have to look hard to see the mountings.
4c6416f8d25241ac3a5b5af4f1ad3a84.jpg

I think if peeps want hooge panniers then they should go for a GS / touring bike.

The GT is much more focused than that all be it made reasonably practicle by the addition of luggage. It is a 'sports tourer' but with the emphasis on 'sports' IMO and all the better for it :thumb2

Andres

I think if peeps want hooge panniers then they should go for a GS / touring bike.

The GT is much more focused than that all be it made reasonably practicle by the addition of luggage. It is a 'sports tourer' but with the emphasis on 'sports' IMO and all the better for it :thumb2

Andres

That's what I have at the moment, but always on the look out for the perfect bike. Thought the S1000XR might of been it, but it didn't really do it for me!

Andres

Totally agree .

KTM have given it a touch of practicality with a 23 litre tank, heated grips and seat and cruise control . Perfect for blasting down to the Alps then taking the panniers off and going for a play

Andres

I'd be quite happy mounting a pair of 38ltr Metalmules or slightly smaller (31ltr) ArdCases on the GT for getting to a destination. Once there - we only fit panniers when we do a supermarket/beer run.

Al

Then rid yourself of the GS and buy a new 1190 Adventure

Only £10995 now you know :clap

Not been to dealer and asked for a price but looking around and can't find any advertised for less than full retail?
Is it a KTM deal or a dealer special offer?

Not been to dealer and asked for a price but looking around and can't find any advertised for less than full retail?
Is it a KTM deal or a dealer special offer?

Yes, it was Premier Bikes I was referring to. I spotted the offer when I was in there the other week picking up my 200 EXC. I thought they'd stuck a 1050 price tag on an 1190 by mistake :blast

I'm not sure how many they've got but there were three sat in line in the shop. I can't see them hanging around for too long at that price :eek:

From the launch : Launch: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT ridden
Published: 27 February 2016

KTM launched their all-new 178bhp sports touring 1290 Super Duke GT in Malaga, Spain this weekend, and MCN Senior Road Tester Adam Child was there to put it though its paces.

The new GT uses the same LC8 engine platform as the Super Duke R and Super Adventure, with their familiar 1301 V-Twin. The modified fly-by-wire motor now produces a claimed 173bhp, the same as the Super Duke R with a whopping 106ftlb of torque. While the figures match the R, the torque has moved lower in the rev range to suit the GT’s sports touring focus.

Controlling all that power are some very clever electronics including traction control, cornering ABS and WP semi active suspension, which all come as standard. There are also three rider modes (sport, street and rain) to help deliver all that power in the best possible way.

But it’s not all about the headline grabbing performance figures, with a 23l fuel tank, a manually adjustable screen, and relaxed riding potion; the GT has been designed to take on some serious miles in comfort. Additionally there’s heated grips, cruise control, quickshifter (up only) and tyre pressure sensors – all as standard. There’s even integrated indicators and adaptive LED cornering lights, which illuminate progressively dependant on the bike’s lean angle, as fitted to the Super Adventure. The subframe has been strengthened to take the extra weight of the luggage and pillion, there’s a decent grab handle for the pillion too, while optional hard panniers easily click onto the standard rear pannier mountings just below the pillion seat.

Obviously all this comes at a cost, £15,999 to be precise – which is on the expensive side.

Riding the 1290 Super Duke GT
KTM say that the new 1290 Super Duke GT is designed to extend that racing sensation for longer, giving you the feeling of a sportsbike but for a lengthier amount of time, in total comfort. But the GT hasn’t been designed to simply get to from A to B without needing an osteopath, it’s been designed make that journey fun.

KTM’s motto is ‘Ready to Race’ but surely that doesn’t translate to their new sports-tourer with its adjustable screen, heated grips, cruise control and a huge 23l fuel tank? And if it is fun and can satisfy the company’s hedonistic tagline, then they must have dialled-back the touring aspect of their sports-tourer; you can’t have both, can you?

You can tame the power via the modes and personally I preferred the Street mode, the fuelling was less aggressive, making it perfect for the road. Don’t let the upright riding position and panniers confuse you, this is a ballistic 173bhp V-Twin.

With a full 23 fuel tank the GT initially feels a little top heavy but once on the move, and as the fuel depletes, the handling is impressive. The two road semi-active suspension settings Comfort and Street are designed for road riding, mainly to promote comfort, and safety rather than performance. The semi-active WP suspension works overtime to keep the bike level constantly changing compression and rebound on the move, and it works hard to reduce fork dive under heavy braking. It works really well, and is more than sufficient for fast road riding.

Whilst you’ve having all this fun you have the peace of mind of safety in reserve thanks to the cornering ABS and traction control. The ABS is always constant, doesn’t change via the modes and can’t be changed on the move. However, the traction control is linked to the rider modes, Sport, Street and Rain. In Street mode the TC will allow a percentage of slip dependant on the lean angle, as remember the TC is lean angle sensitive it doesn’t just calculate the difference in wheel speeds like some basic systems. It’s really impressive, and catches the slide then re-introduces the power quickly but smoothly.

On the motorway the ergonomics feel natural, you’re sat in the bike not on top of it, the bars are wide and comfortable, and they’re also adjustable. The pegs aren’t up near your backside, and at motorway speed there’s little vibration from the big V-Twin. Below 80mph and the screen is fine on its lowest setting, above that and you’ll need to raise it. The clocks are informative for touring with fuel range, mpg and two trips.

Head into town and the GT is more than accommodating. The steering is light and the low down fuelling is excellent for a big V-Twin. Both levers are span adjustable, the radial hydraulic clutch is light and despite its road presence the GT has a small turning circle. There are even self-cancelling indicators.

Looks are subjective, and while the GT is certainly dramatic, I wouldn’t say sexy or good looking. Interesting, maybe. If the GT was on Facebook its profile pic wouldn’t be of somewhere it’s visited, not portrait picture.

MCN Verdict

A sports-tourer that is capable of both requirements, but more so the sports element, which in-turn means fun delivered by the bucket load. Impressive power and torque, versatile WP semi-active suspension, class-leading rider aids, the personality and enjoyment of the Super Duke R, but with added comfort and rider aids with gives greater safety. Getting to your destination in comfort has never been so much fun – but the cost of all this excellence is decidedly steep at £15,999.

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT Tech Spec
Price: £15,999
Engine: liquid cooled 1301cc (108/71mm) V-Twin, six gears chain drive
Power: 173bhp (claimed)
Torque: 106ftlb (claimed)
Wheels: F 120/70X17 R 190/55x17
Brakes: 2 x 320mm discs with four piston Brembo radial caliper. Rear single 240mm disc with two piston Brembo caliper Corning ABS standard.
Suspension: WP 48mm semi-active front forks. WP semi-active single rear shock
Weight: 205kg (dry)
Capacity: 23l
Seat Height: 835mm

Back
Top Bottom