GSA to XR back to GSA

no mines grey with 3 miles on ....
just delivered by yorks greatest dealer

After 8 months of XR ownership, I'm considering swapping it for a GSA.

The XR is a great bike but I can't quite gel with it for some reason.

Trying a different dealership for some figures at the weekend.

I'm very fortunate in having recently added a new S1000R alongside my 2014 GS. (Thanks Mum! :D)

I love the S1000R and haven't touched the GS for months, but if I had to go back to a single bike, I don't think it would be an XR. It's neither the lazy comfort of the boxer, nor the frantic sports of the S1000R. If the day comes when I want the best of both, I think I'd switch to an R1200R or R1200RS.

Having said that, a mate was so influenced by my gushing about the S1000R that he test-rode an XR and bought it within 10 minutes of getting back to the dealership. He loves it to bits. He loved a previous test-ride of the GSA LC but he said the XR was just like nothing he'd ever ridden.

I'm very fortunate in having recently added a new S1000R alongside my 2014 GS. (Thanks Mum! :D)

I love the S1000R and haven't touched the GS for months, but if I had to go back to a single bike, I don't think it would be an XR. It's neither the lazy comfort of the boxer, nor the frantic sports of the S1000R. If the day comes when I want the best of both, I think I'd switch to an R1200R or R1200RS.

Having said that, a mate was so influenced by my gushing about the S1000R that he test-rode an XR and bought it within 10 minutes of getting back to the dealership. He loves it to bits. He loved a previous test-ride of the GSA LC but he said the XR was just like nothing he'd ever ridden.

Well there is the thing
The XR has all the go and excitement of the r with the riding position and comfort ( almost) of the GS

Well there is the thing
The XR has all the go and excitement of the r with the riding position and comfort ( almost) of the GS

Yep, but when I want excitement, I want a sports bike. When I want comfort for distance I want a relaxed engine and shaft drive. If I were forced to combine the two, the R1200RS would give me the best compromise. Don't get me wrong, the XR is a fantastic bike. I just don't think for me personally it's the best "love child" of the R and S series. I reckon that's the R1200RS. But horses for courses. :beerjug:

Very hot on my XR thanks.......:jager

How do you know your grips are hot?

no mines grey with 3 miles on ....
just delivered by yorks greatest dealer

.. ticking over in the garage doesn't count ... 70mph windblast just above freezing is when you find out just how good or shite they are! :thumby:

I have an S1000R as well and bought a 2016 GS about four months ago but have been riding the GS a lot more. The roads are shit here and the S1000R has the usual harsh sportbike suspension so not fun on bumpy roads. Any good roads we have are police infested so I find myself riding the GS a lot more.

How do you know your grips are hot?

.. ticking over in the garage doesn't count ... 70mph windblast just above freezing is when you find out just how good or shite they are! :thumby:

The grips on my new GSA are hotter than on the XR I even turned them to the lower setting as they were very hot, lovely

Terry

The grips on my new GSA are hotter than on the XR I even turned them to the lower setting as they were very hot, lovely

Terry

Same here - GSA=toasty, XR=rubbish!

I'm still not sure if my back could handle the XR being my only bike, but I may find out this summer, as I'm tempted to sell the GSA on here and just have the XR until my new GSA comes in September.

Same here - GSA=toasty, XR=rubbish!

I'm still not sure if my back could handle the XR being my only bike, but I may find out this summer, as I'm tempted to sell the GSA on here and just have the XR until my new GSA comes in September.

I found the XR plenty comfy enough when it was all I had, it felt harsh at first after the GSA but I soon got used to it, but all in all I just prefer the GSA they are both cracking bikes.
But if I kept the XR I would be having my collar felt again, it is just so tempting to open them up, they sound great too.

But that soft carpet ride home from the dealers on the GSA just confirmed its the bike for me. Felt a bit slow though for some reason lol

Terry

Back
Top Bottom