DIY Tubeless tyre fitting & removal

Phil-H

Reaction score
My last attempt at removing a tubeless bike tyre didn't go well (it was a 170 rear from vfr 750), I've done quite a few smaller tubed tyres with a clamp and levers easy enough.

Has anyone used any of the tyre bead breaker/removal/refitting machines as listed on the likes of ebay?

Any advice and input welcomed.

Phil

I have not used any of above. I break them down in a bench vice and the rest by hand with levers JJH

And you manage ok with levers without damaging the rim???

I normally use an Abba tyre bead breaker.

I have also used a gardening spade which is placed carefully in position on the tyre and then stood on with both feet to apply the force to break the bead. Works surprisingly well. Wheel has to be supported without any load on the discs.

I lay the wheel on another tyre.

Anyone used one of the tyre machines that can pass comment on?

if you have another bike put the sidestand of that bike on tyre and pull bike over on to tyre .thats what we do if we have punctures on the trails and cant break the bead with our boots

Hmm thinking of doing a tubeless change misself so interested in the responses as the tyre places wont supply a tourance EXP only the 'next' so buying it seperately - so on a similar vein has anyone balanced their own wheels after doing tyre change !!??
hope this isnt hijacking your thread ?:blast

I changed the rear tyre of my GSLC recently with a very comprehensive fully powered tyre changing machine and really struggled. The new tyre is a Bridgestone Battalax which was very difficult to get seated and then inflated. My thoughts when I'd finally finished were that I hadn't used enough tyre soap.

I do mine with tyre leavers, it's not the easiest of tasks, it is made much easier if you bring the wheel and tyre inside the house to warm up, if it's sunny I put them in the greenhouse and then its quite a bit easier. I have recently bought a tyre bar to make it easier still, I will need to make a holding device for the wheel from box section and 25mm bar.

Hmm thinking of doing a tubeless change misself so interested in the responses as the tyre places wont supply a tourance EXP only the 'next' so buying it seperately - so on a similar vein has anyone balanced their own wheels after doing tyre change !!??
hope this isnt hijacking your thread ?:blast
I balance mine with an Abba wheel balance kit.

Cheers all, I have balanced wheels with moderate success on the bike (no chain or brakes to reduce drag) but then invested in a wheel balancer which does seem much better.

I reckon a bead breaker would be easy enough to fabricate, which leaves tyre removal/refitting.
Looking at various youtube vids, there is an element of pissing about/setting up with the tyre holding machines.
I may have another go with tyre levers & warm tyre although proficient users & proper tyre bar look to be able to pop 'em on & off in seconds.

As ever, experience & knack go a long way.

And proper lubricant. Cannot stress enough. Lube up and make sure bead is in the well otherwise you'll be fighting against yourself. JJH

Cheers, yep I have some proper tyre soap. Having the bead in the well is a must - you only forget it once!

However with all the above the last (re only) tubeless that I tried to remove was a 15+yr old Bridgestone Cyrox from the vfr rear - I ended chopping it off with an angle grinder, not as easy as it sounds!

Where are you stuck Phil, bead breaking or getting the tyre off the rim? I could call by on Friday morning (on my way to an abr rally) to try and give you a hand. I haven't changed my own tyres for a couple of years but used to manage ok and generally found tubeless easier - but that was on my Varadero.

Cheers for the offer Austin.
I'm not stuck, just seeking advice/opinion on wether it's worth spending on one of the various tyre removal stand things as listed on thebay.
It's the removal/refitting rather than breaking the bead.

Think I'll give the tyre levers another go when the time comes :/

I have both these types of levers and the ones with the curved ends are best.
22.1639.jpg

Back
Top Bottom