Sickly Bandit

Littledumptruck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any Suzuki bods out there that can offer some technical, and hopefully model specific experience based advice please?

Ok, so over 3 years ago I bought an 01 face lift 1200 Bandit from another member on this forum. It was sold as a non runner/project, although it did run, but only from cold on choke, and was unrideable as it was.

With initial enthusiasm I started by stripping the carbs, cleaning the jets etc, fitting new plugs and air filter, but no joy. I'll say at this point that there were no signs of anything in the way of muck or rust in the carbs or the fuel in the tank.
Some months later, due to other jobs needing my attention, I tried a second hand set of coils and plug leads, trying both replacement sets and one original and one replacement in various orders, but again, naf all difference.
More time past and one day I read a post on a bandit forum that said about replacing the diaphram in the vacuum part of the pet cock, so I did and hey presto she ran. Not perfect, but a huge difference, enough to think I'd sussed it. I tried balancing the carbs, but found one really lazy, so I bought a new carb diaphram and rebalanced, she then ran as sweet as.
I was so pleased I booked an mot and off I went.
All was fine until I got about 3 miles down the road, onto the first stretch of open road, opened her up, got to 3-4000 rpm and nothing.....no more urg until it got to about 6-7000 revs, then it took off again. It did this all the way there and back.
She got dumped at the back of the garage again. I kind of decided I needed to either replace the carb mounting rubbers, or add a little rtv to help them seal, thinking air was getting in weakening the mixture. Losing interest I left it for another day.
So here we are over a year later, with some new enthusiasm. I decided I'd start by doing the head bearings that the mot had advised. I also freed off the calipers as they had started binding when pushing her about in the garage. With that done I pinched the battery off my Bird, as the original had long since died, but nothing.... As dead as:mad: Turned over fine, but no attempt to fire, but also no smell of fuel.
I stuck a fresh gallon in, but still nothing. That was Saturday morning. Sunday I tried again, switching the pet cock to prime. After some cranking she started to cough a little, but I gave up as she started smelling a bit weird. Like the starter was burning out, but it was cold to touch.
Anyway tonight I've tried again, and she's back to where I was when I bought her. She'll start on choke, just. But you can't rev her until she's warmed up, but you couldn't ride her even then. And the exhaust gets really hot, so I've got excess fuel burning in there I reckon. Doesn't seem to matter where I have the pet cock either.
I've been wondering about doing the valve clearances, but that wouldn't cause her to not run, then run, and not run again, although it might explain the poor running when I thought I'd got her sorted.
I was hoping there was a something that's a common cause, but from reading on the Bandit forums they all seem to suffer all sorts of faults with all sorts of fix's and solutions.
Any ideas? Other than wheeling her out onto the front garden, draining the fuel over her and striking a match:augie:augie, cos I've already considered that one:confused:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y0l-xLZuY24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry can't help,but this lad might give you some ideas.

I've already done the fuel tap. But I'm wondering if being left idle for a year or more has seized it back up again. I know the bike hadn't been used for a good couple of years prior to me getting it as the previous owner had bought another bike, and it was what got it going for me previously. Think I'll pull it off and recheck it.

If I can get it running again I can then play with the needles as Mikey suggests.

Pulled the fuel tap out tonight, took it apart but couldn't see anything wrong with it, but once back together she starts:nenau.
Not perfect, but way better that the other day. Looks like after less than two years I may need another service kit for it:blast.

Or can I ditch the vacuum side of things?

I'd be looking at running it without the tap for now just to prove a point, then if its still messing about i'd be tempted to get the carbs cleaned properly (ultrasonically) again just to prove a point.

Your hunting down somthing that somthing else may be masking. I'd try running with a temporary gravity fuel supply to eliminate any question on the fuel supply end of things. If she's sucking air from somewhere she shouldn't a can of easy start can help if she picks up when you spray at a suspect rubber that will tell. How are the plugs I've read your long post and can't remember if you mentioned them. Are they good and correct fitment? You might check valves just to eliminate them. I've heard stories of ignition problems on grey import bandit 400. A friend had one that was running erratic and he gave up in the end. JJH

I'd be looking at running it without the tap for now just to prove a point, then if its still messing about i'd be tempted to get the carbs cleaned properly (ultrasonically) again just to prove a point.

Just trying to suss a way of bypassing the diaphram, wondering if I can fit the spring on the inside so it holds it open rather than closed?? Might try that tonight.
As for cleaning the carbs, they're already clean. First thing I tried, and they're wasn't anything in them to talk of, so I'm reluctant to pull them apart again.

I want to get it mot'd and taxed so I'm legal to test ride it. Then I can try out some of the other ideas.

Just trying to suss a way of bypassing the diaphram, wondering if I can fit the spring on the inside so it holds it open rather than closed?? Might try that tonight.
As for cleaning the carbs, they're already clean. First thing I tried, and they're wasn't anything in them to talk of, so I'm reluctant to pull them apart again.

I want to get it mot'd and taxed so I'm legal to test ride it. Then I can try out some of the other ideas.

Perhaps you did a 100% job on the carbs, only you know if you did or not, but I know i've cleaned carbs that have been cleaned 'properly' by others, and they've turned the detergent in the ultrasonic cleaner brown.
It is probably the tap, it sounds as if you could tell if it were still playing up quite easily so i'd just hang a petrol filled plastic bottle from the garage roof rafters and jury rig a pipe to the carbs. No need to ride the bike to find out. If it is still messing about then you need to decide if you've done a good job on cleaning the carbs.

Yes I agree with Shep, try an independent fuel source and that will tell you if the bike runs cleanly and smoothly without the fuel tap/ diaphragms etc.
I had the same problems with an old Gsx600f and it was the fuel tap which was goosed, eventually bought a new one. ( tried stripping it, but it was unserviceable).
Try going to your local refuse /amenity/tip and get hold of the fuel tank from an old petrol lawnmower or petrol strimmer, this is an ideal aid to solving your problem.
These lawnmower fuel tanks occasionally come with a fuel shut off tap and hose, so much safer than a plastic bottle.
Tie it to the garage rafter above the bike and test.
Also check the vacuum hose from the fuel tap to the carburetor for blockage and splits. Once the engines running with the independent fuel tank, there should be air being drawn( sucked) throught the vacuum hose to the carb.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom