Colditz

B4ndit

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Southern Germany for July. I have a couple of places on my wish list to visit but one is a long way from the other and I am not sure if its worth the detour. I guess it will add a couple of extra days on my trip. Any way I want to get down to the South of Germany expressly to get to Berchtesgarden. My question is for those in the know. Is a detour to Colditz worth it. And if so is there any where en route that might be worth seeing or possibly stopping over at.

Failing that. Anywhere within touring distance of Berchtesgarden if I use that as a base worth visiting. Good roads would be appreciated.

Colditz is well worth a visit.. Make sure you get the tour.. The longer one.. you can also stay there which was cheap.. and a good breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

we visited Colditz last year on the way to Poland among other places, and it was most enjoyable. I presume with the places you want to visit that you are into ww11 history, if so you could visit Mathausen near linz or werfen castle where they filmed parts of where eagles dare, or maybe Hinterbrühl, where the germans built aircraft. you dont say where you are traveling from and which wway you want to go back, there maybe places you can see in either direction.

Colditz has been on my bucket list for a while, is it a two day ride from the Eurotunnel ?

Really enjoyed our visit to Colditz...and do the long tour...

Colditz - Yup take the LONG tour - museum full of items the prisoners made, from forged stamps, passports, i.d.'s etc. Uniforms. A cardboard typewriter (if memory serves me well). Some items I believe were not found until the 1980's, they were so well hidden. The HUGE underfloor beam in the chapel they cut an access through with little hand tools. Absolutely amazing what can be done with very little. Human ingenuity and adaptability at its finest. Yes, don't miss it while you can still get there!! :thumb2

Colditz - Yup take the LONG tour - museum full of items the prisoners made, from forged stamps, passports, i.d.'s etc. Uniforms. A cardboard typewriter (if memory serves me well). Some items I believe were not found until the 1980's, they were so well hidden. The HUGE underfloor beam in the chapel they cut an access through with little hand tools. Absolutely amazing what can be done with very little. Human ingenuity and adaptability at its finest. Yes, don't miss it while you can still get there!! :thumb2

If you get the chance, call into Vienna . The night time cafe culture was really good, there was an amazing vibe to the whole place. It's about 12 yrs since we were there. And there have been some changes.But I would still say it's worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom