Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any OSSA riders here?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Thanks JB.
    Sadly, it's not in the stable anymore. After a red mist moment at The Cambrian a few years ago I badly damaged my leg and was told by the surgeon I wouldn't be riding bikes again, so I sold along the Ossa and also my beloved Majesty as standing up on the pegs for any length of time was difficult.
    The Ossa went to an English collector in Switzerland who owned every model Ossa had made, except the cantilever. It was one of a small batch of frames made by Cheney in the early eighties. I used to ride it in local club trials at Tong and Post Hill although as it wasn't eligible for the twin shock class I had to ride in the "modern" bikes class
    Lovely machines. I was at Tong a few weeks ago to watch an enduro, it was my first visit for 18 years when we did the inter centre team trial. Post Hill brings back some great memories, the West Leeds club really knew how to run a trial.
    " England is no longer a place for a young man, it crawls with greed and corruption. It is governed by charlatans and profiteers who think more of their pockets than they do of their principles "
    Oliver Cromwell 1640

I had 3 of them, unfortunately the reliability issues ment they were doomed to failure.Lots of them locally but no one bought a second one.
    I still rate them and would not rule out another one.
    I've moved to running old bikes and usually on a twin shock ty , also have a new 4rt .
    Looking for an old Ossa if any about.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

GS pervert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Some lovely oldschool OSSAs there, interesting to see a monoshock MAR, never knew one existed

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    How many Trials do you ride, Margus?
    I'm on my 3rd month of owing this particualr bike, and been riding the crap out of it all this time despite it's winter. In Estonia there's no real trials competition culture like in UK, we have just a couple of clubs in the whole country. None where I live, I have the only trials bike in my town and the only OSSA in the whole country actually - this should give you the picture. We have a couple of trials competitions per year on the other side of the country, but that's pretty much it. Hence I'm left to ride alone most of the time and to devise my own challanges in trials, thankfully my area has endless deep forest tracks, green lanes, nomans land with leftover construction areas and some hilly topology providing lots of them in extreme variety of difficulty levels to develop and hone my riding skills, here you have to improvise a lot more than on just those laid out tracks. That's the reason I bought it in the first place, not just for the beforehand laid out competition tracks like most tend to buy their trials bike in the UK for example. We have a lots of free land, very sparse population and very few restrictions, hence conditions are very different here.

Gone Fishin' Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Slight hijack but I remember the OSSA 250cc road racer from the late '60s, ridden by a young Spanish guy called Santiago Herrerro. First time I ever saw a monocoque frame

Bike was rough as a badger's arse but he was fast as fuck, the thing was so light he could stuff it up the inside of the Yamahas of Read and Ivy at the Ulster GP at Dundrod but lost out again on the straights. Sadly, he was killed at the 1970 TT on it and the factory lost interest in further development and shelved the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by shuck raider View Post
    Bike was rough as a badger's arse but he was fast as fuck, the thing was so light he could stuff it up the inside of the Yamahas of Read and Ivy at the Ulster GP at Dundrod but lost out again on the straights.
    Yep, it's an interesting story. A mere single cylinder was no match to the massive power of V4 Yamahas at the time, but the thing was so light, nimble and controllable it literally dominated the powerful yet bulky & heavy Yamahas on all twisty parts. Some more info here.

OSSA had lots of technology leaps going with it despite being relatively small player on the market. Apparently OSSA was the first production motorcycle with disc brakes as well.

OSSA was the lightest production bike, a completely fresh approach to trials, radically designed, probably the best 2-stroke trials engine ever made, overall superbly nimble and capable bike. Even if OSSA trademark dissapears I'll be loving mine to bits:

Pity some of the other radical engineering wasn't up to much like the rear shock linkages, the woeful starting and the gearbox faults - shame as it looked promising

Most uk riders want a brand they can trust to finish a trial every week like Beta/Sherco/Scorpa/GasGas and of course Honda

Uk bikes get ridden hard as we have the most competitions in comparison to other countries
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

We borrowed Billy Bolts when Eugene was over to practice, it was a fucking nightmare to start. I genuinely thought the crankcase seals had gone, but apparently they were fine. The bike was only 2 months old and prepped by Birkett who was sponsoring Billy.
    " England is no longer a place for a young man, it crawls with greed and corruption. It is governed by charlatans and profiteers who think more of their pockets than they do of their principles "
    Oliver Cromwell 1640

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Pity some of the other radical engineering wasn't up to much like the rear shock linkages, the woeful starting and the gearbox faults - shame as it looked promising

Most uk riders want a brand they can trust to finish a trial every week like Beta/Sherco/Scorpa/GasGas and of course Honda

Uk bikes get ridden hard as we have the most competitions in comparison to other countries
    The shock linkage is only a problem if you don't lubricate it.

Starting if you have issues can be sorted by adding a small12v rechargable battery into the loom, position it in the airbox. It then primes the fuel pump for first kick starting.

Gearboxs were an issue, all repaired free of charge.

Sadly an all new bikes will have a few problems.

When I got my 2013 model (with a very high-compression head) it was a pig to start too. Some 10-15 kicks cold, 3-5 kicks warm and very hard to kick due to high compression head. I then used Castrol 2T oil back then

I then devised a 9V battery system to give initial boost to fuel pump, sparkplug and injector:

It was night/day difference then, some 1-3 kicks cold, 1-2 kicks warm.

In the end through practice I figured it's actually the most important to have the correct fuel/oil mixture, it must be a very precise 9% (1:110) and also keeping the magneto clean so it creates enough electricity during kicking. I clean the magneto every time I change the engine oil. Considering those two things and after using only GRO Offroad 2T oil, I actually haven't required the 9V start system anymore since I get about the SAME results with just dry kicking both cold/warm. For cold start I give first a soft kick, I then hear the fuel pump whine, pressurize the system and give some voltage to the capacitor charge, then usually just one sharp kick starts the bike. Warm start: 1 sometimes 2 sharp kicks and it's running (all this with no 9V support). I keep the 9V system just for backup now, haven't required this for ages now actually, might take it off for less bulk and complication.

In any case it's a stunning and mighty capable trials bike to ride. Everything is just put right with it's ride quality and handling. There's no replacement for a non-compromising design and a proper EFI, I'd ride no other compromised 2T or a carburated or a pig-heavy 4T trials bike if you ask me. OSSA just ticks all those boxes for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12