DCT problem?

I drive an Iveco 3.5 T P.O.S. with DCT gearbox I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER have a car or bike with these gearbox systems (Unless there is also a manual clutch fitted!)

What an absolute useless dose of Hoofwanking Womble-cnut shite it is too !!!!

AS you pull out of a junction and are halfway across the road it decides to change to a lower gear not exactly conducive to remaining calm with a car coming at you at 40 plus mph Which HAD you been able to maintain forward momentum you would not be in said vehicles path!!!!

Whilst not releva1nt on a motorcycle but what ever fuckwit thinks you can reverse an 8 foot wide piece of schit up a narrow street without clutch control needs flayed honey poured in the wounds and laid on top of a fucking ant hill

Here's the Iveco Review Its pretty accurate http://www.motobanter.co.uk/index.php?topic=1691.0

Is there a difference between DCT and DSG 'cos I'm on my 2nd DSG VW and it is the best gearbox I've ever had in a car?

I honestly can't see why you'd want a slush box auto or manual box after driving a DSG?

Andres

Is there a difference between DCT and DSG 'cos I'm on my 2nd DSG VW and it is the best gearbox I've ever had in a car?

I honestly can't see why you'd want a slush box auto or manual box after driving a DSG?

Andres

Its the same thing DSG is just an abbreviation from German,

Andres

Absolutely marvellous for a few years but if they become troublesome out of warranty your going to need to sell your house to settle the bill.:eek:

Absolutely marvellous for a few years but if they become troublesome out of warranty your going to need to sell your house to settle the bill.:eek:

Bit like owning a new GS try pricing a new electronic rear shocker (Its a Shocker)

My left hand switch gear also rubbish.
Manual bike but set button sticks in from brand new

Andres

Really? My wife's new Golf has a DSG gearbox and its utter shite, compared to the 8 speed auto in my 330d.

Does anybody know if you are riding your AT Dct and you have this OP problem at speed and you press the kill switch is the bike in gear and therefore lock up or does it free wheel as if you have pulled the clutch in on a manual bike (if that makes sense)

Does anybody know if you are riding your AT Dct and you have this OP problem at speed and you press the kill switch is the bike in gear and therefore lock up or does it free wheel as if you have pulled the clutch in on a manual bike (if that makes sense)

I have an inkling that the DCT may be like the VAG DSG in that the clutches in their resting state are open as opposed to a normal clutch which is closed. Hydraulic pressure forces them alternatively closed so if there is a failure then the clutches would both be open and it would free wheel.

I have often wondered about the possibility of two gears being engaged at the same time but because they are forced closed I presume that there is an interlock to stop the two clutches being closed at the same time.

Just a guess though .

I have an inkling that the DCT may be like the VAG DSG in that the clutches in their resting state are open as opposed to a normal clutch which is closed. Hydraulic pressure forces them alternatively closed so if there is a failure then the clutches would both be open and it would free wheel.

I have often wondered about the possibility of two gears being engaged at the same time but because they are forced closed I presume that there is an interlock to stop the two clutches being closed at the same time.

Just a guess though .

It would be nice to know what safety measures you have on the Dct if things go wrong

At a guess I would say it would most certainly freewheel. I only say this because the bike is impossible to stall. The drive is always disengaged before that happens and if you turn the engine off drive is disengaged. You cannot lswitch off leaving it in gear, itsimpossible ,hence the need for a handbrake.

An older one is no less demanding, I'm still reeling from an abs failure.

Yep my best riding buddy had his GSA ABS pump go at just 15,000 miles . BMW dealer just said , sorry but it's a new pump and yes it's only done 15k miles but bikes out of warranty . £1k Bill , cash or card sir ?

My Guzzi has been a paragon of reliability in comparison to several mates GSs. I never had a problem with my 2002 1150 in 45k miles. My 12GS has had a new starter motor and now has had to go back to base in a van as the alternator seized over winter and the alternator belt fried itself in a big pall of smoke when I eventually got the bike to start.

Andres

I too love my DSG.

until it goes wrong. Fingers crossed :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? My wife's new Golf has a DSG gearbox and its utter shite, compared to the 8 speed auto in my 330d.

I've not driven an 8 speed MBW box but yeah, I've been really happy; both 7 speed DSG's (Polo & Scirocco) and have another DSG Scirocco ordered for May. Probably done 60,000 miles between the two with (touch wood) no issues.
What's up with the Golf then? Is it a specific problem or do you just rate the MWB's box as being better?

Andres

Could be a fault could be numpty user error .......... Usual internet hysteria will ensue I'm sure.

Hondas ain't perfect that's for definite . There is currently a recall on VFR1200 shaft drive units for potential early wear part of the internals. All owners contacted and recommended to have bike inspected. If accelerated wear then dealer will replace with a new original part BUT owners will have to return again at a future date to have a newly designed superior replacement part fitted which is currently not available in sufficient numbers.

Not heard of any specific DCT problems like that on the CTourer forum. The fella ain't a happy chappy though is he :D

Defo NOT a numpty user. Sam is a well respected, well known and very experienced rider off another forum

I fear his fault and near disaster is 100% genuine.

I don't really understand why his bike would suddenly go to such high revs but then my dct has a push/pull throttle cable with a throttle position sensor. He says the dealer put all the slack back into his throttle cable so it sounds likely that the cable may have come out of its socket. Who knows?

mine won't go into drive if the revs are too high

Defo NOT a numpty user. Sam is a well respected, well known and very experienced rider off another forum

I fear his fault and near disaster is 100% genuine.

I imagine he is, he certainly seems very erudite in his writing but so many people on the Internet, and often in real life too nowadays, don't seem to let the facts get in the way of a good story. I was commenting on them rather than the OP (Sam)

It sounds like he has had a very scary experience BUT auto boxes , DSG boxes , CVT and DCT in all types of vehicles are nothing new.Many manufacturers have sold millions of 2 wheelers world wide with Auto boxes . Honda have probably sold millions of DCT boxes but this is the first "extremely popular" new bike fitted with this technology. Many riders are suddenly only now discovering DCT due to the AT so think it's brand new technology. Many rmotorcycle riders , OP excluded , probably don't realise that their bike has a fully ride by wire throttle and don't have the " control " over the machine that they think they have. This was a concern for some riders when first revealed but most just accept or , like I said, are ignorant to it.

There is obviously the big issue that if the technology goes wrong on a 2wheeler the operator is at serious risk of injury compared to being in another type of vehicle :(

The "horse" headline was designed to but a little sensationalist was it not? Let the hysteria continue . Does sound like there could be a problem with the switches/ switchgear which I guess is always going to be the weak point with vehicular technology rather than the mechanical engineering.

I've not driven an 8 speed MBW box but yeah, I've been really happy; both 7 speed DSG's (Polo & Scirocco) and have another DSG Scirocco ordered for May. Probably done 60,000 miles between the two with (touch wood) no issues.
What's up with the Golf then? Is it a specific problem or do you just rate the MWB's box as being better?

Andres

It's very slow to engage the gears, and is very docile in comparison to the auto box in the BMW. The car has only done 5000 miles, so it may get better with more miles.

My M3 had the DCT 'box, and I hated it. When driving fast it was great, but at slow speeds it was terrible. When you wanted to go from first into reverse, it would take a few seconds to work out what was going on, which caused a few hairy moments. I guess you're not meant to go backwards in an M3!:D

Back
Top Bottom